• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man cooked his breakfast on train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
A man was found cooking himself breakfast in the buffet carriage of an empty train.

The train was in Preston Station, where it was being cleaned before it was due to travel from Lancaster to London, when a man got on in the early hours.

British Transport Police (BTP) said they arrested a man, who was found with several small bottles of alcohol on his person, and charged him with theft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7604280.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

djw1981

Established Member
Reminds me of the time I saw a guy plug his microwave into the laptop/mobile phone sockets in a Voyager.......which might do 5Amps or so, but a 850W microwave would have been fun, had the guard not walked past at that moment. The guy's excuse was that he didn't want to pay for lunch and had brought his own, and as he was moving house he had his microwave.....

Gizmogle

Established Member
I've seen things like hair straighteners in the plugs before. Nothing majorly funny though.

Ben

We should have a competition of what's the best thing you can plug into one of the sockets and have running.

Irresponsible! I like it. <D

No seriously, dont bother could trip out every socket in the carriage. :roll:

Phoenix

Established Member
Irresponsible! I like it. <D

No seriously, dont bother could trip out every socket in the carriage. :roll:

But when your on a voyager isn't that the point messing the things up.
Well i'll try summat when im next on one.

P156KWJ

Established Member
would the guard have a go if you plugged your camcorder charger in to it, just incase I forget in future and I need to?
Could have been worse though. Could have plugged a blender in to make soup then plug the microwave in to cook it :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
would the guard have a go if you plugged your camcorder charger in to it, just incase I forget in future and I need to?
Could have been worse though. Could have plugged a blender in to make soup then plug the microwave in to cook it :lol:

I often plug my camcorder in. Never ever been queried.

djw1981

Established Member
A desktop PC should be ok (if you can be @r$ed carrying it) since the power draw is low (in Amps). Anything with a motor or heating element is the main no-no - hairdryers, blenders, microwaves, kettles, cookers, breadmakers.....etc

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A desktop PC should be ok (if you can be @r$ed carrying it) since the power draw is low (in Amps). Anything with a motor or heating element is the main no-no - hairdryers, blenders, microwaves, kettles, cookers, breadmakers.....etc
Being pedantic, power is measured in watts, not amps (that's current), and a microwave doesn't contain a heating element, but I agree with the basic principle!

A desktop PC would vary considerably in power consumption. A low-power PC just accessing a hard drive would consume far less power than one containing multiple drives, playing CDs/DVDs, etc. The former would be fine, the latter would not be. Of course, you'd also need to plug a monitor in for it to be any use!

P156KWJ

Established Member

haha! breadmakers :lol: like to see one of them whirring away on a train!

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
How about a full desktop PC, Then try and play something like BVE4 On it, with a Voyager and some full blast sound!
A desktop PC would vary considerably in power consumption. A low-power PC just accessing a hard drive would consume far less power than one containing multiple drives, playing CDs/DVDs, etc. The former would be fine, the latter would not be. Of course, you'd also need to plug a monitor in for it to be any use!
I actually once did that on board a Pendo using a small form Compaq PC and a flat-panel monitor both being run off of the same at-seat socket...And neither the PC nor the carriages power system seemed to experience any problems with it. :)

Mind ye...Ye should've seen the Guards face when he came to check my ticket! :shock::lol::lol::lol:
(Though thankfully, he did accept my reason for doing it...I didn't own a laptop at the time, and had to make do with what else I could find. 8))

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Nick W

Established Member
Reminds me of the time I saw a guy plug his microwave into the laptop/mobile phone sockets in a Voyager.......which might do 5Amps or so, but a 850W microwave would have been fun, had the guard not walked past at that moment. The guy's excuse was that he didn't want to pay for lunch and had brought his own, and as he was moving house he had his microwave.....

220*5 = 1,100 W so I'm sure it would've worked :D

P156KWJ

Established Member
it's why in industrial areas, there's many different types of socket and ampage / voltage. Yellow is usually 240V and blue is 115V (both AC) and sometimes of course you'll find DC ones if the current is drawn from the national grid and you have a transformer from AC to DC on site. Of course NR have to transform energy to DC for 3rd rail lines

Status
Not open for further replies.