• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Arena Incident (22/05/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylandLen

A benefit concert now confirmed to be held at Old Trafford Cricket Ground this Sunday (4th June). £40 a ticket with proceeds going to the Manchester Emergency Fund.

They expect upto 50,000 might attend. Also there is a testimonial at Man Utd starting at 1430. Maybe in excess of 50,000 there , so thats at least 100,000 expected in Manchester on Sunday. Are any extra trains being run by the relevant train companies ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KN1

In a similar vein, Russell Brand, after a poignant foreword, announced at the show in Southport (23/5) that the money he got from us attending would be donated to charities and organisations involved in the aftermath.

Did he manage to avoid harassing and abusing any old aged pensioners whilst there as that's something the immature idiot takes great pleasure in.

roversfan2001

Established Member
They expect upto 50,000 might attend. Also there is a testimonial at Man Utd starting at 1430. Maybe in excess of 50,000 there , so thats at least 100,000 expected in Manchester on Sunday. Are any extra trains being run by the relevant train companies ?
Rather unsurprisingly, no trains are running to the station at Old Trafford.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Darandio

Established Member
Did he manage to avoid harassing and abusing any old aged pensioners whilst there as that's something the immature idiot takes great pleasure in.

I'd hardly say your comment is that mature to be honest.

Darandio

Established Member
I take it you think abusing and belittling vulnerable OAP's is a fine pursuit and not immature then ?

Not at all, but it was nearly 9 years ago and bears absolutely no relevance to the guy donating proceeds to this cause. I repeat, no relevance.

BestWestern

Established Member
Not at all, but it was nearly 9 years ago and bears absolutely no relevance to the guy donating proceeds to this cause. I repeat, no relevance.

The guy is a publicity-hungry arse, though. Again, not overly relevant, just saying...

ModernRailways

Established Member

I'll be attending the benefit concert in Manchester with a few friends, I am meant to be at work Monday, but the last train to Newcastle (NCL) from Manchester is at 2112 - there is a 2242, but that requires a change at York and doesn't get to NCL until 0208 which would then require a taxi home which would be another £30+. The concert won't likely finish till 2200/2230 so I'll either have to sleep on a sofa, or share a hotel room with two of my friends who've got one booked. I'll probably have to be on one of the first trains back north early during the morning (around 9am).

I've only ever travelled London to Newcastle after 8pm and now I can see why, there is such limited transport late at night up here that it's not worth the effort for the majority of people. In contrast, if I'm in London I can get a train to pretty much anywhere (with some exceptions), with last trains being around 2200 onwards for more long distances.

As a small side note, all the direct Newcastle to Manchester trains are fully booked and no advances are available. So that is going to be a fun journey no doubt.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
BBC reporting that over 10 thousand false claims of having been at the Manchester attack last week have been made by people to try and get free One Love concert tickets.

BBC said:
More than 10,000 "unscrupulous" people have falsely claimed they were at the scene of the Manchester attack in order to get free tickets for Sunday's benefit concert, Ticketmaster has said.

The agency said "opportunists or touts" had tried to take advantage of its offer for those who were at the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena.

This seems absolutely disgusting to me. An attack in which so many died, yet so many people have apparently tried to use it for their personal gain? :::sad:::

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BBC reporting that over 10 thousand false claims of having been at the Manchester attack last week have been made by people to try and get free One Love concert tickets.
Disgraceful, but could it be a smaller number of people (perhaps a much smaller number who are involved in organised crime) making multiple claims under many false identities?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Also just 10,000 for a concert with a worldwide profile, its actually pretty low.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The street next to the Hall of Residence block I live in has been evacuated for the second time in as many weeks by the police looking for stuff related to the attack.

EDIT:

Two neighbouring halls have been evacuated and we are only being allowed to leave, people who leave will not be allowed back in as we are apparently inside a cordon.
And there is a helicopter incessently hovering overhead and driving me crazy.

I wish that if they are going to have units hovering like that all the time they should buy some surveillance baloons or something.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
It seems that some/many tickets are offered on the Black Market for a huge profit.

ModernRailways

Established Member
It seems that some/many tickets are offered on the Black Market for a huge profit.

It happens with all concerts/festivals, with this one having so many popular artists that would unlikely be at a single festival/concert together in the future (you'd probably be lucky to see 3 of them together at one concert usually) those touts will just sell higher.

Crossover

Established Member
So it appears a leopard indeed never changes its' spots...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42540738

BBC News said:
Manchester Arena attack: 'Hero' admits theft from victims

A homeless man who stole a purse and a phone from victims of the Manchester Arena attack has admitted theft.

Chris Parker, 33, was initially dubbed a hero after claiming he comforted a seriously injured girl.

CCTV footage played to Manchester Crown Court showed him wandering between stricken victims.

He kept returning to injured Pauline Healey, whose granddaughter lay dying nearby, before leaning over her and taking her handbag to steal her purse.

The footage showed paramedics and police trying to resuscitate victims close by as he did so.

Within hours of taking the purse, he was using Mrs Healey's bank card at a local fast food restaurant.

P.S. Admins, feel free to split to a new thread if felt appropriate

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's a problem with how the media presents stories though: after the bombing, the guy was the "Homeless Hero" who prompted widespread support (and virtue-signalling, but that's another thing altogether) when a bit of research by a professional journalist would probably have suggested that the story not be run. Now, we know that the person was dishonest and was not the hero he claimed (or was claimed) to be, so he's now branded scum and faces calls that he be stoned to death in St. Peter's Square.

The reality is that he was and is obviously a man with a long list of issues, and perhaps coming unstuck in such a high-profile way will be a wake-up call. That's not to say he shouldn't be punished- but the emotions surrounding the tragic events in Manchester shouldn't overly influence his sentence because that's not what the courts are for. See also the Riots of a few years ago: kids were being sentenced for silly tweets as if they'd been feeding pins to the Queen's swans! Trial by media is rarely good justice.

BestWestern

Established Member
That's a problem with how the media presents stories though: after the bombing, the guy was the "Homeless Hero" who prompted widespread support (and virtue-signalling, but that's another thing altogether) when a bit of research by a professional journalist would probably have suggested that the story not be run. Now, we know that the person was dishonest and was not the hero he claimed (or was claimed) to be, so he's now branded scum and faces calls that he be stoned to death in St. Peter's Square.

The reality is that he was and is obviously a man with a long list of issues, and perhaps coming unstuck in such a high-profile way will be a wake-up call. That's not to say he shouldn't be punished- but the emotions surrounding the tragic events in Manchester shouldn't overly influence his sentence because that's not what the courts are for. See also the Riots of a few years ago: kids were being sentenced for silly tweets as if they'd been feeding pins to the Queen's swans! Trial by media is rarely good justice.

I think this is a very sensible post indeed.

Crossover

Established Member
Isn't he the bloke that was given thousands of pounds of donations? Sickening.

Yes it is - it was a Crowdfunding exercise. The article does state, however, that the money wasn’t paid over and that with the latest pleas, will not be and will instead be refunded to those who donated. I seem to recall there being an ‘issue’ raised a few months back saying he hadn’t received any of the things promised (namely a house as I believe was offered). Looking back, may be this is because the truth was coming to light by those investigating

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

shredder1

Established Member

Crossover

Established Member
Reported his sentence will also be served in isolation due to threats made against him (I believe it is current threats, at least)

Bayum

Established Member
After losing a friend in the bombings, it upsets me to see that someone has made efforts to be dishonest with the work afterwards

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This reprehensible waste of space was jailed for over four years today for stealing victims’ purses, their cards, and a mobile phone. He also took photographs of the victims and sold them for £100.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-manchester-42876790
Had it not been for the circumstances surrounding this, he would have probably have had a much lighter sentence, possibly suspended and probably community service. Is 4 years really proportionate considering that people who commit far greater crimes often receive far more lenient sentences?

I'll be making myself unpopular by saying this, and I'm in no way condoning what he did, but 4 years in jail for what was really just petty theft is far too much.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Had it not been for the circumstances surrounding this, he would have probably have had a much lighter sentence, possibly suspended and probably community service. Is 4 years really proportionate considering that people who commit far greater crimes often receive far more lenient sentences?

I'll be making myself unpopular by saying this, and I'm in no way condoning what he did, but 4 years in jail for what was really just petty theft is far too much.

I don’t know what his previous offending history was, which may have played some part.

The aggravating circumstances are exceptional though. He actively went towards a tragedy, the most severe tragedy in Britain for some years now, to steal from the wounded. And not only that, he had the cheek to accept publicity for being a good fella for “helping out”.

Established Member
This reprehensible waste of space was jailed for over four years today for stealing victims’ purses, their cards, and a mobile phone. He also took photographs of the victims and sold them for £100.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-manchester-42876790

I think that sentence is too low considering the circumstances (and his previous convictions).

He's also been given a Criminal Behaviour Order which bans him from entering Manchester city centre for a decade.

Dentonian

Established Member
I think that sentence is too low considering the circumstances (and his previous convictions).

He's also been given a Criminal Behaviour Order which bans him from entering Manchester city centre for a decade.

Trouble is, he's now got a guaranteed roof over his head for 4 years (1 year 4 months net), which is presumably what he wanted. What I want to know is what happened to the scum that bought the pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.