• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Carlisle via Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyvegas

Myself and a friend (no railcards etc..) are planning to take a trip up the Settle-Carlisle line on 11th September. Looking to head out earlyish, non-stop to Carlisle then breaking the journey on the way back down to do some walking.

Any suggestions on the cheapest way to do this?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
Can you clarify- I presume that you want to do:

Manchester - Leeds

Leeds - Carlisle

Carlisle - Leeds with break of journey

Leeds - Manchester?

Your best bet for the Manc-Leeds leg might be to make use of Northern's DUO tickets, where two travellers effectively pay for 1.5 tickets. You can get a DUO for Manchester - Leeds for £21 if you take trains via Hebden Bridge (depart Manchester Victoria), for which there are three trains an hour. A return to Leeds - Carlisle is then £27.80 each via Appleby, giving a total price of £38.30 each.

Do you have to go to Leeds? You can get a DUO to Bradford Interchange for £14.70. Walk to Bradford Foster Square, then a return to Carlisle via Appleby is £26.70 each, changing at Shipley. Total cost there is £34.80 each.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Do you have to go to Leeds? You can get a DUO to Bradford Interchange for £14.70. Walk to Bradford Foster Square, then a return to Carlisle via Appleby is £26.70 each, changing at Shipley. Total cost there is £34.80 each.

Or there's a rather scenic bus route through "Bronte Country" (500, but first one on a Sat is 1010 then hourly, last back is 1805 from Keighley) from Hebden Bridge to Keighley for a couple of quid (£3.20 day ticket). If you're on the right train this takes about the same amount of time as changing in Bradford.

tony_mac

Established Member
It's not a cheap option, but a freedom of the north west 4 in 8 would cover that journey and allow an additional 3 days travel in the region for £57.

trickyvegas

Manchester - Leeds

Leeds - Carlisle

Carlisle - Leeds with break of journey

Leeds - Manchester?

Your best bet for the Manc-Leeds leg might be to make use of Northern's DUO tickets, where two travellers effectively pay for 1.5 tickets. You can get a DUO for Manchester - Leeds for £21 if you take trains via Hebden Bridge (depart Manchester Victoria), for which there are three trains an hour. A return to Leeds - Carlisle is then £27.80 each via Appleby, giving a total price of £38.30 each.

I was looking at Northern's Duo page but there was no mention of Settle-Carlisle being covered, but if it is that is great.

Good suggestion with regards to going via Bradford too, not thought of that option.

John @ home

Established Member
I was looking at Northern's Duo page but there was no mention of Settle-Carlisle being covered, but if it is that is great.
No. On this journey, Duo is available Manchester - Hebden Bridge - Bradford - Leeds only. Separate tickets would be needed for Bradford or Leeds - Carlisle and these would not have the Duo discount.

cuccir

Established Member
Yes, the DUO price I quote is only the Manchester-Bradford leg (sorry I should have clarified). The Bradford - Carlisle, or Leeds - Carlisle, price I quote is simply the cheapest offered day return.

Status
Not open for further replies.