• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester-Clitheroe services...why never beyond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know this is a speculative thread but blimey. :lol:
Would anyone like to attempt to vaguely pull it back on topic please?

I think the Beeching stuff has been done many many times before…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Would anyone like to attempt to vaguely pull it back on topic please?
Thought the discussion about how the line through Clitheroe directly/indirectly helped the Allies win the Second World War was quite intriguing! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thought the discussion about how the line through Clitheroe directly/indirectly helped the Allies win the Second World War was quite intriguing! ;)

I was looking at it wondering if I should split it into a new subject but I didn’t know where to start. :lol:
It could be an interesting subject if anyone wants to give it a go?

chorleyjeff

Prior to 1985 (quite a lot prior) there were were the main Midland Railway expresses to Scotland from Liverpool Exchange and Manchester Victoria via L&Y lines which must have generated significant passenger traffic. With the WCML basically full, surely the Clitheroe - Hellifield route gains strategic importance as effectively a secondary albeit unupgraded WCML, especially with the potential to reach the main WCML north of Windermere via Ingleton. Subsequently in 1986, the BBC News reported that the Settle - Carlisle line which they proposed to close generated annual profits in the £millions for BR.

Many railways were closed before Beeching but I wouldn’t describe these as being part of a programme, more of sporadic closures. Beeching provided direction to a programme, however his direction was incorrect and he closed many of the most important and potentially profitable lines on the network. The fact that a network comprised entirely of closed lines if all presently open lines were closed instead would be fairly useful illustrates where he went wrong.
There were certainly no through trains from Liverpool/Manchester to Scotland via Hellifield from at least the late 1950s. The remaing rump of the service was a morning Manchester to Helifield morning train running much the same time as a Blackburn to Hellifield train from Blackburn. Did the Manchester train have an OK connection to a Carlisle train. I don't think there were Scotland trains until luchtime - Waverley and Thames Clyde. There was an early morning goods train from Preston to Carlisle via Hellifield and Ingleton but I have no idea what passenger trains ran via Ingleton and where from or to - Sedburgh School specials ?
Sounds like BBC NEWS did not question the source of that information.
Who says the WCML North of Lancaster is full and what constraint on the flow of goods trains there are? And do we really want a long diesel only route through the Pennines ?
Seems to me the Ingleton route to the WCML plus 4 tracking on to Carlisle would have been a better way to get Midland trains to Scotland rather than build ing the S&C or building the S&C as cheap goods lines to access mineral traffic.
Has anyone any information on the numbers of passengers using the S&C to access the area for overnight stays ?

RT4038

Established Member
There were certainly no through trains from Liverpool/Manchester to Scotland via Hellifield from at least the late 1950s. The remaing rump of the service was a morning Manchester to Helifield morning train running much the same time as a Blackburn to Hellifield train from Blackburn. Did the Manchester train have an OK connection to a Carlisle train. I don't think there were Scotland trains until luchtime - Waverley and Thames Clyde. There was an early morning goods train from Preston to Carlisle via Hellifield and Ingleton but I have no idea what passenger trains ran via Ingleton and where from or to - Sedburgh School specials ?
Sounds like BBC NEWS did not question the source of that information.
Who says the WCML North of Lancaster is full and what constraint on the flow of goods trains there are? And do we really want a long diesel only route through the Pennines ?
Seems to me the Ingleton route to the WCML plus 4 tracking on to Carlisle would have been a better way to get Midland trains to Scotland rather than build ing the S&C or building the S&C as cheap goods lines to access mineral traffic.
Has anyone any information on the numbers of passengers using the S&C to access the area for overnight stays ?
In summer 1951 the passenger trains on the Clapham-Ingleton line were as follows:
8.6am, 1.30pm(SX)/1.55pm(SO) Clapham-Low Gill; 6.42pm Clapham-Tebay
10.40am, 12.30pm(SO)/12.40pm(SX) 5.20pm, 10.30pm(SO) Clapham-Ingleton
7.10am, 3.45pm Low Gill-Clapham; 9.10am Tebay-Clapham, 8.30pm Tebay-Ingleton
11.15am(SO)/12noon(SX), 1pm, 6.15pm, 9.45pm(SO) Ingleton-Clapham

There were a number of through trains from Manchester to Hellifield (4.35am, 8.35am, 11.48am(SO), 12.30pm (SO), 12.45pm, 4.37pm (SX), 5.40(SX), 6.30pm, 8.20pm) [with a 12.15pm(SX) Bolton-Hellifield] and a through train from Liverpool (Exchange) to Hellifield at 2.55pm. Through trains beyond Hellifield were limited to the 1.5am (SO) with Sleeping Car Manchester Exchange to Glasgow Central, 9.20am (SO) Manchester Victoria to Glasgow Central and 10.5am (SO) Bolton Trinity Street to Barrow in Furness
In the return direction, Hellifield to Manchester trains were at 7am, 11.20am, 2.20pm(SO) 4.47pm, 5.10pm, 9pm [with a 4.10pm Hellifield to Bolton] and a 2.57pm Hellifield-Liverpool Exchange. The only train from beyond Hellifield was a 11.45pm (Su.Mo.Th.) Glasgow Central to Manchester Exchange with Sleeping Car.

muddythefish

On Moderation
In summer 1951 the passenger trains on the Clapham-Ingleton line were as follows:

There were a number of through trains from Manchester to Hellifield (4.35am, 8.35am, 11.48am(SO), 12.30pm (SO), 12.45pm, 4.37pm (SX), 5.40(SX), 6.30pm, 8.20pm) [with a 12.15pm(SX) Bolton-Hellifield] and a through train from Liverpool (Exchange) to Hellifield at 2.55pm. Through trains beyond Hellifield were limited to the 1.5am (SO) with Sleeping Car Manchester Exchange to Glasgow Central, 9.20am (SO) Manchester Victoria to Glasgow Central and 10.5am (SO) Bolton Trinity Street to Barrow in Furness
In the return direction, Hellifield to Manchester trains were at 7am, 11.20am, 2.20pm(SO) 4.47pm, 5.10pm, 9pm [with a 4.10pm Hellifield to Bolton] and a 2.57pm Hellifield-Liverpool Exchange. The only train from beyond Hellifield was a 11.45pm (Su.Mo.Th.) Glasgow Central to Manchester Exchange with Sleeping Car.

Thanks for this

So in 1951, there were 7 weekday trains a day from Manchester to Hellifield and 5 trains in the opposite direction, with one Liverpool - Hellifield train in each direction

One has to assume there was a market for these trains beyond Clitheroe to Chatburn, Gisburn etc in 1951, before the days of long distance commuting and population growth in the Ribble Valley. Isn't it reasonable to assume that there is a market for such a service today?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Thanks for this

So in 1951, there were 7 weekday trains a day from Manchester to Hellifield and 5 trains in the opposite direction, with one Liverpool - Hellifield train in each direction

One has to assume there was a market for these trains beyond Clitheroe to Chatburn, Gisburn etc in 1951, before the days of long distance commuting and population growth in the Ribble Valley. Isn't it reasonable to assume that there is a market for such a service today?
Only if you assume that modern day levels of car ownership don't exist in the Ribble Valley. There has doubtless been some population growth in the area but the communities are still just villages which are hardly likely to generate much rail traffic.

Established Member
do we really want a long diesel only route through the Pennines ?
No we want a 125mph (at least) electrified North Pennine Main Line, but it would cost a vast amount of money to rebuild to that standard, making virtually any other short Diesel/battery reopening proposal look cheap.

Very interesting. It seems it was popular with sleeping cars. Doesn’t the modern Caledonian Sleeper ever get diverted via Blackburn and Clitheroe if the WCML is shut north of Preston? Did the Liverpool Exchange - Hellifield stop at Ormskirk or Burscough Junction?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Very interesting. It seems it was popular with sleeping cars. Doesn’t the modern Caledonian Sleeper ever get diverted via Blackburn and Clitheroe if the WCML is shut north of Preston? Did the Liverpool Exchange - Hellifield stop at Ormskirk or Burscough Junction?
No, since the Mk5s they won't go off an electrified route south of Scotland. Even prior to that they didn't that I recall.

chorleyjeff

I was well aware of the Manchester to Hellifield trains. How did they connect with the few Scotland services from Hellifield ?
Three trains from Hellifield to Blackburn in an hour from 4.10pm did not actually indicate there was much traffic. I used the successors of those trains in the late 1950s and they were pretty much empty.
I think the railways pretty much continued with the pre grouping patternof services well into nationalisation including the ex L&Y otherwise known as the LMS Central Division.

No we want a 125mph (at least) electrified North Pennine Main Line, but it would cost a vast amount of money to rebuild to that standard, making virtually any other short Diesel/battery reopening proposal look cheap.

I was referring to the S&C route through, not accross, the Pennines. Of course the cross Pennine lines connect large cities for which there is a large potential for traffic.

quantinghome

Established Member
Not only does it seem that way to you, that's exactly what the Midland Railway had concluded as well, before the S&C was built! The S&C was the result of railway politics and failure for the MR to agree access to LNWR's route to Carlisle. So they decided to build their own route instead, got the S&C plans through parliament, but then changed their minds and came to an agreement with LNWR. But Parliament refused to let them abandon the scheme and they had to build it! The whole thing is a bit mad.

I don't think the S&C could ever have been built as a cheap goods line. It would still have required colossal structures.

I doubt many use the S&C for overnight stays. The vast majority of traffic look to be day trips.

RT4038

Established Member
Thanks for this

I don't think it is reasonable to make that assumption at all, for the following reasons:
  • The existence of a train service in the 50s and 60s had little to do with many or any passengers travelling on them. I should imagine that this timetable had been in existence since pre-grouping.
  • The main purpose of these longer distance trains from Manchester and Liverpool to Hellifield would have been for the L&Y and Midland railways to exchange traffic; I should imagine more parcels etc than passengers. The raison d'etre having disappeared in 1923.
  • The Mills of the Ribble Valley have closed so any commuter traffic associated with them would have disappeared.
  • Car ownership and use has considerable increased since 1951, to the severe detriment of the railways and public transport in general.
  • Long distance commuting has taken a severe knock with the pandemic an looks unlikely to return to anything like previous levels.
Chatburn, Gisburn, Hellifield etc are simply not big enough to generate sufficient custom, without major housing development, which would seem unlikely in that area.
It is hyperbole to state that it was popular with Sleeping Cars. These trains only ran in the high summer (July and August) and only on a few days per week. I should imagine that this was more to do with a lack of capacity on the WCML at that time, due to heavy summer passenger traffic, the like of which is not seen today or likely anytime soon.

The Liverpool-Hellifield train stopped at Ormskirk and Burscough Junction to pick up only and then non-stop to Blackburn

RT4038

Established Member
I was well aware of the Manchester to Hellifield trains. How did they connect with the few Scotland services from Hellifield ?
Three trains from Hellifield to Blackburn in an hour from 4.10pm did not actually indicate there was much traffic. I used the successors of those trains in the late 1950s and they were pretty much empty.
I think the railways pretty much continued with the pre grouping patternof services well into nationalisation including the ex L&Y otherwise known as the LMS Central Division.
The passenger train service over the S&C was quite sparse (the last train from Leeds to Carlisle was at 2.37pm for instance). So as not to be too boring, I'll just mention the 'Down' direction:
4.35am Manchester to Hellifield due 7.1am 'connected' with the 8.10am stopping train to Carlisle
8.35am Manchester to Hellifield due 10.45am connected with the 11.23am express to Glasgow and 11.30am stopper to Carlisle
11.48am Bolton to Hellifield due 2.5pm connected with 2.10 stopper to Hawes and 2.55pm express to Glasgow (On Saturdays there was a 12.30pm from Manchester due Hellifield 2.18pm which connected with the express)
2.55pm Liverpool to Hellifield due 4.56pm connected with the 5.5pm stopper to Carlisle

Last edited:

Veteran Member
One has to assume there was a market for these trains beyond Clitheroe to Chatburn, Gisburn etc in 1951, before the days of long distance commuting and population growth in the Ribble Valley.
Alternatively, one points to the existence of Hellifield MPD which would have resourced many of these trains (as reflected in the timetable); Clitheroe was not a particularly convenient place to terminate (nor Chatburn).
The population of Chatburn is only around 1100 and Gisburn 600 (2011 - some new houses have been built at Gisburn since, not sure about Chatburn, but I doubt if either has increased by more than c.100), the former stations were poorly sited and nowhere else is near the railway let alone of any size.
Even if a service were reintroduced (beyond a "Saturday Dalesrail") I doubt if there would be a business case even for Chatburn.

RT4038

Established Member
Alternatively, one points to the existence of Hellifield MPD which would have resourced many of these trains (as reflected in the timetable); Clitheroe was not a particularly convenient place to terminate (nor Chatburn).
The population of Chatburn is only around 1100 and Gisburn 600 (2011 - some new houses have been built at Gisburn since, not sure about Chatburn, but I doubt if either has increased by more than c.100), the former stations were poorly sited and nowhere else is near the railway let alone of any size.
Even if a service were reintroduced (beyond a "Saturday Dalesrail") I doubt if there would be a business case even for Chatburn.
I am sure you are right that Hellifield MPD would have resourced the trains. However, the main purpose of Hellifield MPD was to provide assisting locomotives over the S&C, a feature not required today. With the need of the L&Y and Midland to exchange traffic at Hellifield having evaporated in 1923 (need, not necessarily practice!) and assisting engines no longer required, the entire cost of extending passenger trains from Clitheroe to Hellifield would have to be borne by revenue from some small villages and (averaged on an annual basis) a small number of interchanging passengers visiting the Dales or Dales residents visiting Blackburn or Manchester. The economics just would not stand up. Maybe for an extra 'Dalesrail' on a summer saturday ?

quantinghome

Established Member
The only way I'd see a need for a regular service beyond Clitheroe would be if there was a major plan for a new large town at Hellifield.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
I was looking at it wondering if I should split it into a new subject but I didn’t know where to start. :lol:
It could be an interesting subject if anyone wants to give it a go?
The idea was debunked by Stewart Joy in his book The Train That Ran Away. He pointed out that the minor branch lines made little contribution to the enormous effort made by railways during WW2.

chorleyjeff

The passenger train service over the S&C was quite sparse (the last train from Leeds to Carlisle was at 2.37pm for instance). So as not to be too boring, I'll just mention the 'Down' direction:
4.35am Manchester to Hellifield due 7.1am 'connected' with the 8.10am stopping train to Carlisle
8.35am Manchester to Hellifield due 10.45am connected with the 11.23am express to Glasgow and 11.30am stopper to Carlisle
11.48am Bolton to Hellifield due 2.5pm connected with 2.10 stopper to Hawes and 2.55pm express to Glasgow (On Saturdays there was a 12.30pm from Manchester due Hellifield 2.18pm which connected with the express)
2.55pm Liverpool to Hellifield due 4.56pm connected with the 5.5pm stopper to Carlisle
Hellifield station was not a pleasant place to spend time in poor weather waitng for a connection and must have conributed to the lack of passengers taking the scenic route. Especially when the alternative was a train direct from Manchester and Bolton to Carlisle and beyond although for intermediate stations there would be no rail alternative. I have the feeling that extending Clitheroe passenger trains to Hellifield is a solution looking for a problem. And would there be much demand for travel to Manchster/Bolton unlike from the larger towns on the Colne Accrington axis ?

RT4038

Established Member
Hellifield station was not a pleasant place to spend time in poor weather waitng for a connection and must have conributed to the lack of passengers taking the scenic route. Especially when the alternative was a train direct from Manchester and Bolton to Carlisle and beyond although for intermediate stations there would be no rail alternative. I have the feeling that extending Clitheroe passenger trains to Hellifield is a solution looking for a problem. And would there be much demand for travel to Manchster/Bolton unlike from the larger towns on the Colne Accrington axis ?
I would imagine that, in those years, the number of people who (a) wanted to make the journey, (b) had time off from work and (c) could afford the fare would have been fairly small in any case - not enough to fill the commodious refreshment and waiting rooms that graced Hellifield at that time, I dare say!
However, parcels etc and mail traffic was probably fairly extensive, which would have taken time to sort and would not have minded the extended connectional times.

With a population of just over 1100, Hawes is nowhere near large enough to support a regular rail service.
This article suggest that the idea may have been killed once and for all

Former Hawes branch line in the Yorkshire Dales could become cycling and walking route as railway re-opening plans abandoned

Plans are afoot to turn the former Upper Wensleydale Railway line into a 'multi-use' route for cyclists, walkers and horse riders.

A report on a possible ‘Hawes-Garsdale Multi-User Route’ will recommend members support the principle of creating a bridleway - which would be suitable for horse riders, cyclists, walkers and those with limited mobility - along the scenic former railway line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair I think the cycle facility might benefit more people - and arguably it'd benefit more people if the extant WR was a cycle route instead, and a decent bus service was put back on (funding cuts have severely damaged the former 156/157 that used to do the whole route through to Northallerton including a good evening service - notably a bus service started by the WR to prove their concept but later taken over by Procters on a subsidised basis). I've said the same of the Conwy Valley before, much as I love it (and the WR).

As for extending the WR, a heritage bus connection might be a good bet, adds interest to the day out that heritage lines are really about. They've done that before.

Established Member
The report also states that the current plan is for a reopened railway to include a parallel multi user route. For this to be abandoned in favour of one or the other isn’t good news at all.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The report also states that the current plan is for a reopened railway to include a parallel multi user route. For this to be abandoned in favour of one or the other isn’t good news at all.
Why is ending the interminable purgatory not good news for a line that is so clearly beyond hope of resurrection to the national network?
Opening it as a cycle and walking route is likely to get more tourists on the existing trains than any new services to Hawes could have managed.

Established Member
Why is ending the interminable purgatory not good news for a line that is so clearly beyond hope of resurrection to the national network?
Opening it as a cycle and walking route is likely to get more tourists on the existing trains than any new services to Hawes could have managed.
I would greatly enjoy being able to cycle along the old trackbed from Garsdale to Hawes and can say already that I will definitely use it, but it was not beyond hope of rejoining the rail network until today. The Upper Wensleydale Railway proposal was progressing relatively well and included both a branch line and a parallel cycleway, so for it to be downgraded to only include the cycleway is actually a loss, despite the certainty that one will now be built. This indeterminable purgatory has lasted since 1959. I would mind it going on a bit longer if the result was for the reopened railway to include a parallel cycleway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It seems to be being suggested that the line isn't wide enough for both, which as it was only ever a single track (I think) is believable. Why otherwise would you not leave space for a railway to be added later?

Keswick is similar - no way was there room for both, and the public transport function is done fairly well with the bus service on the mostly uncongested main road.

Established Member
It seems to be being suggested that the line isn't wide enough for both, which as it was only ever a single track (I think) is believable. Why otherwise would you not leave space for a railway to be added later?

Keswick is similar - no way was there room for both, and the public transport function is done fairly well with the bus service on the mostly uncongested main road.
I do believe that the branch only ever being single track may be the reason for this, but it is still extremely unfortunate. A path will be an asset for leisure use, but people from Hawes, Settle and Hellifield will now not be able to reach Clitheroe, Blackburn or Bolton or commute to Manchester without a 6 mile cycle as was originally intended.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I do believe that the branch only ever being single track may be the reason for this, but it is still extremely unfortunate. A path will be an asset for leisure use, but people from Hawes, Settle and Hellifield will now not be able to reach Clitheroe, Blackburn or Bolton or commute to Manchester without a 6 mile cycle as was originally intended.

The WR doesn't really provide a public transport service and isn't ever likely to.

If that requirement needs to be fulfilled, a bus service is the way to do it. The main road is good, relatively uncongested and goes nearer the main settlements than the railway. Just integrate it properly with the railway! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.