• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Edinburgh and return via Settle-Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
I would like help with the following:

Travel from MAN to EDB on 30 December (ideally on the 18.16 TPE direct service)
Return on 1 January, leaving after 11:00 and travelling Carlisle - Settle - Leeds - Manchester, including the 13.51 Carlisle - Leeds.
all for 2 people with 16-25 Railcards. Any help appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Split at Carlisle, it'll keep flows priced by XC down to a minimum.

Huddersfield's looking like a good bet, buy the Route Appleby SDR (£22.30 with Y-P) and excess the outward portion to Any Permitted to enable travel via Manchester on the outward (starting short).

Then use a Carlisle - Edinburgh CDR @ £15.20 with Y-P.

telstarbox

Established Member
Cheers Lampshade - so that's a Huddersfield - Carlisle route Appleby return and a Carlisle - Edinburgh return?

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Split at Preston, valid via S&C(?) and usually at a reasonable price to

Lampshade

Established Member
Cheers Lampshade - so that's a Huddersfield - Carlisle return and a Carlisle - Edinburgh return?

I've just thought, you'd be returning via Leeds so effectively ending the journey at Huddersfield, when you need to be in Manchester :lol:

Watch this space.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have found some incredibly cheap TPE advance fares (remember with your railcard you get 50% off if you book using the links on the TPE website) which can be combined with a rather useful ticket taking advantage of a valid routeing exploit that several forum members enjoy and wouldn't want to be removed (ATOC read this site), hence it has been sent via PM ;)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have found some incredibly cheap TPE advance fares (remember with your railcard you get 50% off if you book using the links on the TPE website) which can be combined with a rather useful ticket taking advantage of a valid routeing exploit that several forum members enjoy and wouldn't want to be removed (ATOC read this site), hence it has been sent via PM ;)

would be interested in that one too Yorkie if you have no objection? :)

on a recent EDB - MAN trip I split and indeed changed at Preston, taking advantage of a pendo over a 185 for the long haul! If not limmited to TPE advances when booking I'd recommend this as nearly 4 hours on a rammed 185 may not be the relaxed start to your holiday that you want! Also not sure, but think it may be Jan 2nd til you can get moving again?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also not sure, but think it may be Jan 2nd til you can get moving again?

Many TOCs run services on New Year's Day. Only Christmas Day and Boxing Day see no service from the majority of TOCs.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Many TOCs run services on New Year's Day. Only Christmas Day and Boxing Day see no service from the majority of TOCs.

think the opp wishes to use the S and C which certainly didnt run this newyear as I found. From memory there was no VT Services to EDB cut may be wrong. There were some to Glasgow I think but if using this option be warned as FSR dont do newyear so a coach transfer with citylink may be needed and again check before you go. Another warning too - newyear busses only serve key routes in Edinburgh on new years day with generally an hourley or half hourly service and cabs are dubble fare til midnight. Not trying to put you off as your more than welcome but for a city thats wel and truly open for business on the 31st it amazes me (and I live here) how starc a contrast the 1st is.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This is what it says on National Rail about Northern's operations on New Year's Day.

New Years Day
No Northern Rail services will run in the Tyne / Tees area
(Newcastle, Darlington, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hexham, etc).
In all other areas, trains will start later in the day than usual, then a
normal weekday service will run, subject to engineering work.

Link to the document here.

Status
Not open for further replies.