• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
It's looking likely to be the same story for the new car park at St Helens Junction.

What are plans there please? I think the station itself needs some TLC for starters before you do anything else. And as for 'new car park', hopefully includes good security too, and not just CCTV either. Currently that is one car park I would not park my car at - a risk too far!

DJH1971

Established Member
What are plans there please? I think the station itself needs some TLC for starters before you do anything else. And as for 'new car park', hopefully includes good security too, and not just CCTV either. Currently that is one car park I would not park my car at - a risk too far!

They are making the car park bigger by increasing capacity to 240 car park spaces, nearly 4 times more than of present.

Long overdue and very much welcomed.

But it looks like they will now need to increase car parking space at both Lea Green and St Helens Central as I believe there will be fewer trains calling at St Helens Junction from the May timetable.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I passed a newcomer at Allerton Depot today.
Is it the shape of things to come or just here on holiday or for attention?

They've been there before - ran the Crewe/Birmingham service before Central put 170s on and tagged on to Stansted.
But probably from the Soho pool rather than Longsight.

8A Rail

Established Member
323 in Allerton for traction training as they will be on the Chat Moss stoppers come May

323231 had been at Allerton Depot for the previous 3 weeks until Wed 21st when it went back to Longsight Depot for an exam. Not sure what number unit in the images though as that one is the replacement unit for 231. There had been 'training' paths in the system which basically was Allerton - Lime St to Preston and return with shorter runs between Huyton / St Helens Central and Wigan North Western too but they (for now) have not been activated.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Do they have better acceleration than the 319s? If they do, then they should improve things most noticeably on the Lime St-Warrington Bank Quay and Lime St-Wigan North Western services with their frequent stops and few fast stretches.

I've always seen 319s as "middle distance runners", best suited to Lime St-Manchester Airport and Lime St-Blackpool North where they can lope along at a decent lick, stopping every now and again.

8A Rail

Established Member
They've been there before - ran the Crewe/Birmingham service before Central put 170s on and tagged on to Stansted.
But probably from the Soho pool rather than Longsight.
Yes they operated the service before the introduction of the Class 350's and I do have images of them on that service, so regardless the 323's are not new to Liverpool Lime St as such.

Last known Class 323 to the area were 323222 and 221 in April 2012, on a Birmingham New Street [BHM] - Liverpool Lime Street [LIV] working
6935748328_5af8247bb3_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

B&I

Established Member
Well, the Lime Street-Victoria stopper already seems to have shed a few minutes (my impression being that dwell times have shortened), and the 319s I've done it on recently had no apparent problems. Are further time reductions planned for the stopping trains, to offset the reduced capacity of a 323 ?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So what is happening with the 319's?

Well, they are stretching their operating area to Crewe and Blackpool (once all the wires are up via Bolton). Maybe also Glossop.
So some routes will see a mix of 319/323.
I doubt NR/NT will retime trains to suit one or the other - they've only just changed (slightly) from Sprinter schedules.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I know we are going OT but I naively thought it was to allow more 319s to be converted to 769s so that some electrification and some diesel bits would allow more routes to be converted to "bi-mode". I was thinking for example if Lostock Wigan gets done you could run Man Airport to Southport with a 769 and a substantial chunk of the journey would be under wires -etc etc.

johnmoly

I thought something was happening shortly as there is usually 6 - 8 319 sets outside Allerton Depot during the day recently.

LDECRexile

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So those black signal-obscurers at Lime St (9028g) require their own massive concrete "gravity pad".
No wonder the remodelling/resignalling costs are in the 9-figure range.

snowball

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right thread. According to this press release, Network Rail is a adpting a freight yard at Springs Branch for use as a depot by Northern.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/new-home-for-trains-provides-jobs-boost-for-greater-manchester/

A new £46m train depot is to be built in Wigan as part of the Great North Rail Project.

With the number of passengers set to double in the north over the next 25 years, more depots are needed to enable the more frequent services and additional trains planned by 2020.

At Springs Branch railway sidings in Ince-in-Makerfield, Network Rail is adapting an existing freight yard to stable and maintain 24 electric and eight diesel trains – creating almost 20 jobs in the process.

The location provides easy access to the electrified rail network and the state-of-the-art depot will provide more flexibility for Northern to move their trains across the north overnight in preparation for services the next day. It will be brought into use from December 2019.

Lauren Jones, scheme project manager at Network Rail said: “At Springs Branch sidings, we’re investing £46m to enhance an existing site by the West Coast main line by building brand new train maintenance facilities for Northern.

“This brand new depot, which forms part of the Great North Rail Project, not only delivers a jobs boost for Greater Manchester, but the facilities it will provide will help transform passenger journeys across the north.”

Ben Ackroyd, Engineering Director at Northern, said: “The new maintenance depot is a key part of our wider modernisation programme.

“By 2020 we will have retired all Pacers, refurbished our entire fleet and, of course, will have introduced our brand new electric and diesel trains. We will need state-of-the-art facilities to look after these trains and Springs Branch is a key part of this.”

Ben added: “We look forward to working with Network Rail on this project which is clear evidence, not only of partnership railway in action, but also of the economic benefit the railway brings to the region.”

Becca Heron, director of economy and skills at Wigan Council, welcomed the news, commenting: “This new train depot is a key component of our economic strategy, building on Wigan’s excellent connectivity to establish the borough as a key transport hub for the North of England. It will bring growth and jobs to the residents of Ince and the wider borough.”

The development will see the installation of new overhead line equipment to power the electric trains. It will also include staff accommodation, train washing and fuelling capabilities.

Preparation work started on 9 April and project completion is planned for December 2019.

DJH1971

Established Member
I was talking to someone working on the enlarged car park at St Helens Junction yesterday.

They say it will be probably be completed at the end of this month.

However, I have a feeling it will become underused due to more trains stopping at Lea Green from the new timetable and the car park there Is going to be at best stretched.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is to discuss Manchester - Liverpool electrification, which is now complete, so I will close it now.

If anyone has anything to add regarding electrification, please contact us and we will consider reopening it.

Feel free to create new threads in the relevant forum section to discuss any other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.