• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester-London alternative routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,
Going to London in a couple of weeks for the Paralympics - the session is 1000 till 1340, so will probably end up on the 0555 from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston, buying an Off Peak Return since I have a young person's railcard.
Coming home, with the session finishing fairly early in the day, I was wondering what alternative routes I can take to return with this ticket and what time restrictions would be in place?
What would be good to do?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
I'm no routing expert, but I imagine that would be valid via Birmingham for starters, possibly Warrington Bank Quay and change. At the very least if your train is via Stoke you can come back via Crewe or vica versa.

SS4

Established Member
The shortest route (+3 miles), direct trains and

London Group - Manchester Group
  • CS
  • CS+GM
  • GC+CM
  • GC+CM+GM
  • MA
  • MA+GM
  • MM+PS

One such route would be
Marylebone - Banbury - Leamington Spa - Tyseley - Birmingham - Wolverhampton - Stafford - Crewe - Wilmslow - Manchester (CS+GM)

John @ home

Established Member
will probably end up on the 0555 from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston, buying an Off Peak Return since I have a young person's railcard.
Have you considered 2012 Games Train Tickets?
I was wondering what alternative routes I can take to return with this ticket and what time restrictions would be in place?
If 2012 Games Train Tickets don't suit you, the return leg of a £49 Manchester Stns - London Terminals Railcard Off-Peak Return has no time restrictions if Virgin is used, otherwise:
On Mondays to Fridays you may travel on any train that is scheduled to depart:
  • London Euston before 04:30 and between 09:26 & 15:00 (inclusive) and at or after 18:45
  • London Marylebone between 09:26 & 15:00 (inclusive) and at or after 18:45
  • London Paddington between 08:10 & 16:40 or after 18:31.
  • London St Pancras International between 10:26 & 15:15 (inclusive) and at or after 18:59
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/SVR_2C.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.