• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester London Glasgow Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all, I am heading to London in February to see the Abba concert. I will be travelling from Manchester on a Tuesday and heading to Glasgow the following day - Then returning to Manchester on the Friday. How would I book such a ticket?, I could buy singles but that might be too expensive, I have used the Forum ticket site many times, Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
How would I book such a ticket?, I could buy singles but that might be too expensive, I have used the Forum ticket site many times, Any help would be appreciated.
Depending on how early you book, advanced tickets may be the cheapest option (and take a look for splits, might save you some money).
If you don't want to use advanced tickets, people with better knowledge will probably respond with time.

Farigiraf

If you travel via Crewe you could get a Manchester-Crewe ticket, a Crewe-London return and a Crewe-Glasgow return although most Avanti West Coasts to Glasgow have their first stop at Warrington, unless you get a Crewe-Glasgow return via TPE and finish short on the way back

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Perhaps start with a return from Preston to London and start short at Manchester, and add a Preston to Glasgow return. However, booking early may see Advance tickets coming out cheaper. Or even a Glasgow to London return and add a Glasgow to Manchester single.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Perhaps start with a return from Preston to London and start short at Manchester, and add a Preston to Glasgow return. However, booking early may see Advance tickets coming out cheaper.
Wouldn't that also need a Preston -> Manchester ticket for the final leg?

Shotton

Depending on how early you book, advanced tickets may be the cheapest option (and take a look for splits, might save you some money).
If you don't want to use advanced tickets, people with better knowledge will probably respond with time.
If advance tickets are being used, Avanti Superfare may be an option. These are very cheap fares, but you are not able to choose which train you travel on, only the date - afaik you can choose morning/afternoon/evening, so should be able to ensure arriving in time for the concert.

These would be available for the Manchester -> London (£20) and London -> Glasgow (£30), however are only bookable between 7-21 days in advance, and you would need a normal advance for Glasgow -> Manchester.

Alternatively, for a flexible option, you may want to consider the off-peak (£50.40, valid arriving Euston after 09:59, and returning after 08:45) or super-off-peak (£39.20, but very restricted, and probably not worth it in my opinion) return from Manchester -> London routed LnW/TfW only, and then combine this with a Manchester -> Glasgow off-peak return (£99.50 routed via Carlisle, and essentially unrestricted). This would require travelling via Manchester on the London -> Glasgow leg and using the TfW service to/from Crewe and LnW to/from Crewe to London and would come to ~£140 - £150 total.

If you wanted to save some time, you could travel on the LnW service to Crewe on the return, stop short on your Manchester to London ticket and buy tickets Crewe -> Carlisle off-peak return (£80.20, routes via Preston and again essentially unrestricted) and Carlisle -> Glasgow off-peak return (£30.90, and only valid after 09:00, if you needed to travel beforehand, the almost unrestricted off-peak return from Crewe to Glasgow would be cheaper than a combination at £130). This option would come to ~£160-180, and would still probably be significantly slower than direct Avanti services.

For an itinerary that allows the use of the fastest services, I can't think of much better than what was suggested above - off-peak return Preston -> London (£110.70 valid arriving into Euston post 11:29, and not valid leaving Euston between 15:00 and 18:45, so significantly more restricted than the LnW/TfW option), off-peak return Preston -> Glasgow (£89.40, essentially unrestricted) and anytime day single Preston -> Manchester (£14.50) giving a total of ~£215.

Anytime tickets all seem extortionate, so I would not recommend them unless you really can't avoid it. And, of course, someone may well be able to advise of better options then I can. At any rate, in my opinion normal advances (not Superfare) would still be likely to be better value than all the flexible suggestions I made.

Thank you so much for all of your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Well there are certainly a lot of options and I will have a look and see what comes in cheaper. Thanks.

anothertyke

If price is your main determining factor, I'd be looking at one of the low cost airlines for the London-Glasgow leg. The option and date I looked at on a Wed in Feb with no checked bag came in at £26, so say £60 including ground transport.

Would a London to Haymarket return work out fairly reasonably for the London to Glasgow then the Glasgow to Manchester legs? Just then need the first leg Manchester to London

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Off Peak Returns, (route "Any Permitted") are, however, still possible from London Terminals (which includes London Euston) to/from Glasgow Central/Queen Street.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Off Peak Returns, (route "Any Permitted") are, however, still possible from London Terminals (which includes London Euston) to/from Glasgow Central/Queen Street.
Break of journey is not permitted on the outward portion so you're not allowed to start short at Manchester Piccadilly.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Break of journey is not permitted on the outward portion so you're not allowed to start short at Manchester Piccadilly.
That wasn't contemplated. Single ticket for the initial Manchester Piccadilly to London leg, then the Off Peak Return from London Terminals to Glasgow CEN/QST, using the return portion to get back to Manchester.

plugwash

Established Member
Yes, it would.
Are you sure about that?

The routing guide tells me that map combinations for Glasgow to Crewe are CG GK+CG

Map CG appears to allow travel from Glasgow to Crewe via Manchester.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Are you sure about that?

The routing guide tells me that map combinations for Glasgow to Crewe are CG GK+CG

I am sure - I was not talking about a Glasgow to Crewe ticket.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are you sure about that?

I think you are talking at cross-purposes :)

@Haywain was suggesting the use of a Preston-London as well as Preston-Glasgow ticket, with a Preston-Manchester single for the last bit of the train back from Glasgow to Manchester.

A Crewe-Glasgow return in combination with a Preston-London return would cover all travel, but would cost more than adding on a Preston-Manchester single to Preston-London and Preston-Glasgow returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.