• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink - Airport line

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Bit of an aside, but when is the Victoria Tramstop scheduled/likely to reopen? And for that matter, the chord from Piccadilly in the Victoria direction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
Bit of an aside, but when is the Victoria Tramstop scheduled/likely to reopen? And for that matter, the chord from Piccadilly in the Victoria direction?

"Early 2015" and "December 2016"

Metrolink often open things earlier, maybe they are too pessimistic with their target dates, or maybe they are realistic and they just do better than expected!

Network Rail on the other hand... well, see the Todmordon Curve :)

familyguy99

Anyone on here will be catching special tram from Cornbrook to Airport stop on Monday?

Special first tram to the Airport

In celebration of the launch into passenger service, a ‘special’ double tram service will depart the Cornbrook stop at 5am sharp on Monday. Customers and media are welcome to board this service.

The special double tram will arrive at the Manchester Airport stop circa 5.40am and will then become the very first in-service tram to depart the Airport stop at 5.49am.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=118

Also on Sunday 9th, 23rd and 30th November the line between Wythenshawe town centre and Airport will be closes from start of service to 8.30am.

On Sunday 9th, 23rd and 30th November the line between Manchester Airport and Wythenshawe Town Centre will be closed due to Network Rail engineering works until 08:30am only.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/pni.aspx

Boysteve

Did I read somewhere that there is a free 'preview' day today (Saturday 1st November) for local residents only? If so could I travel with a day or weekend pass (I do not live on the route)?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Did I read somewhere that there is a free 'preview' day today (Saturday 1st November) for local residents only? If so could I travel with a day or weekend pass (I do not live on the route)?

It's ostensibly only for residents who received an invitation letter in the post; however I wouldn't be too shocked if they ended up letting everyone who turns up at the stops have a ride.

rebmcr

Established Member
Funnily enough, the part of the Piccadilly Gardens delta junction that consists of a chord between the Piccadilly-bound and Victoria-bound lines is not currently in regular passenger use — and won't be until the service pattern re-normalises post-Victoria-reopening.

martinsh

Established Member
Funnily enough, the part of the Piccadilly Gardens delta junction that consists of a chord between the Piccadilly-bound and Victoria-bound lines is not currently in regular passenger use — and won't be until the service pattern re-normalises post-Victoria-reopening.

I assumed that was what the OP was talking about - so I was a bit surprised when the reply said it wasn't going to reopen until 2016 !

Incidentally I was in Piccadilly yesterday, and the track looked like it as still used, so I guess for depot positioning moves ?

telstarbox

Established Member
Here's George Osborne 'driving' a tram to celebrate the opening (and also confirming the Trafford Park extension)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...chancellor-driving-seat-new-metrolink-8038245

The Tatton MP visited a Metrolink depot and inspected new trams before joining a driver in the cab and travelling to the airport.

Mr Osborne, who later tweeted a picture of himself in the cab, said he was ‘delighted’ to mark the opening of the new line.

It has opened between the airport and Cornbrook more than 12 months ahead of schedule.

Mr Osborne also confirmed that Greater Manchester is to get its own directly-elected mayor with devolved powers over transport, housing, planning and policing. He said the deal would unlock cash for a new Metrolink line to the Trafford Centre.

Mr Osborne said: “It is great news that, thanks to the devolution deal I have announced today, there will be a further £350m extension to Trafford, which will provide significant additional benefits to the city."

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
... and what a complete prat he does look!

To be fair, he might be looking for a new job in 2015 :)

Did the Airport line today, it was busy but I overheard quite a few people saying they just wanted to try it. Lovely sunny day too, plus the Shadowmoss stop seems ideal for anyone who is a tram and plane spotter.

One couple was resolutely defending their pitch on the platform at Cornbrook so they could be first on and down to the front seats. Unfortunately they were making it quite difficult for people to get off of other incoming services, or even on to the Altrincham and Eccles-bound ones!

JoeGJ1984

When I referred to the 'chord' in my earlier post, that was what I meant - the part of the triangular junction near Piccadilly Gardens that foes from Piccadilly Gardens (and Piccadilly station) towards Victoria and Bury (as it is OOU at the moment, it has been removed from the map).

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
When I referred to the 'chord' in my earlier post, that was what I meant - the part of the triangular junction near Piccadilly Gardens that foes from Piccadilly Gardens (and Piccadilly station) towards Victoria and Bury (as it is OOU at the moment, it has been removed from the map).

That will come back into use when Victoria Metrolink reopens, originally expected late this month but now expected Feb 2015.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Ahh, he means the Delta at Piccadilly Gardens, yeah that's just because theres no trams running direct from Victoria to Piccadilly, the tracks not out of service.

familyguy99

I had ride on Airport line today and trams were quite full the ones I was on, they seen to small problem as I was at Benchill stop and next tram wasn't due for over 22 mins but it didn't affected me as I had walk from Benchill all the way to Robinswood road stop and by the time that I arrival at Robinswood road stop the tram were coming to that stop.

Instead of me adding picture that I took today here link of all picture that I took on Airport line.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157635224273735/

^^ Please note more pictures will be added onto link later tonight and probably tomorrow.

:D

thenorthern

Established Member
I had a ride from Cornbrook to the Airport today as well the trams were mostly full of OAPs who wanted to ride it on the first day it was open. I don't think it will replace the railways though as the tram took 50 min to get me there.

One thing I noticed though was we were delayed at Shadowmoss because the driver said that protocol says the tram coming the opposite direction needed to drive the tram I was on into the airport so they swapped. Is this a rule or something?

Green Lane

I took a return trip from St Peter's Square to the Airport today. Quite fortunate really that I had booked this week off work some time ago. I only learnt about this line being opened early a few days ago, which was a pleasant surprise. So it is the first time I have been on a Metrolink line within the first few days of opening.

Also it was the first time I have been to Manchester Airport or Wythenshawe town centre.

On the way out I took one tram from Cornbrook all the way to the airport. On the way back, I managed to visit 13 of the new 15 stops on foot today for photos. Sadly, not had time to upload them yet.

Great day it was though, perfect Autumn weather. The morning tram out to the airport was pretty full with many of the aforementioned senior citizens on board. Much quieter on the way back I found, in the mid to late afternoon as I did take several trams just one stop up the line at various points. I chose to walk between many of the intermediate stops as the new line covers parts of Manchester I had never walked around before.

Most memorable part of the walk was probably finding my way out of the Manchester Airport complex on foot having no concrete plan nor any prior familiarity with the layout. I got out after about ten minutes of walking after which I was happy to again see the tram tracks which I followed on to Shadowmoss.

I will have to come back sometime and visit the remaining two stops I haven't yet done on foot - namely Sale Water Park and Barlow Moor Road. My problem today was, I ran out of light in the afternoon.

I am also looking forward to eventual opening of the second city crossing and airport trams then no longer having to use the Cornbrook turnback siding. Overall it was an enjoyable trip today in that all trams plus trains I used to get to Manchester and back ran like clockwork, so it worked out well. :D

Last edited:

spargazer

Manchester Metrolink are on top form, they walk amongst us
Metrolink to use replacement buses during work on Manchester Airport station platformarly Sunday morning Metrolink services to Manchester Airport will be replaced by buses throughout November - while work takes place on the fourth platform at the train station.
between Manchester Airport and Wythenshawe town centre...........................

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...etrolink-use-replacement-buses-during-8071942

Last edited:

Boysteve

Manchester Metrolink are on top form, they walk amongst us
Metrolink to use replacement buses during work on Manchester Airport station platformarly Sunday morning Metrolink services to Manchester Airport will be replaced by buses throughout November - while work takes place on the fourth platform at the train station.
between Manchester Airport and Wythenshawe town centre...........................

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...etrolink-use-replacement-buses-during-8071942

OK, well the line has opened early remember, and this work is only Sunday morning until 08:30 of course. I guess less than 1% of metrolink passengers use the network before 08:30 on a Sunday morning so lets not get too carried away!

I traveled the new line twice today and all trams were busy, and not just with OAP's. However there was very nearly a fatal accident. A cyclist who was obviously distracted/stupid (delete as appropriate for you own point of view) crossed the line without looking and hit the side of the tram very close to the front of the vehicle! The incident happened between Shadowmoss and the Airport on a signed pedestrian/cyclist crossing point on a long straight section of the line at 12:40 pm today. The cyclist went straight past all the 'Caution Tramway' signs without batting an eyelid and came extremely close to death. The driver of the airport bound tram pre-empted the errant cyclist and had already hit the emergency brake, but the cyclist still hit the side of the tram and luckily for him bounced off, although his bike I suspect will not be ridden again. The cyclist ended up in a heap on the city bound track but managed to get upright of his own accord within a minute or so. The driver of the tram was obviously shaken but jumped down from the tram (with his high-viz' jacket on just in-case the H&S police are reading) and spoke with the cyclist. Details and notes were exchanged before the driver climbed back on board and we progressed sedately to the Airport with about a 5 minute delay. Most passengers were concerned for the driver much more than the cyclist who had attempted to prove Darwin's theory of natural selection. Several passengers spoke with the driver on the platform at Manchester Airport and again more details were exchanged presumably in-case statements might be needed later.
The Metrolink platform staff at the Airport decided that the driver needed a break and should not be allowed to take the tram back to Cornbrook straight away. Passengers were herded onto the tram and back off again which is understandable. The platform staff explained that the driver maybe in shock and could not drive, we were all understanding of this of course. However the driver decided that he wanted to continue and we all boarded again and the tram left a minute later.

This is where I am concerned. I must state that the tram driver drove very well back to Cornbrook and he acted and drove in a very professional manner. He was a relatively young driver and I have admiration for him and his professionalism. However his reaction to the earlier incident could not be known and I do feel that the platform staff at Manchester Airport should have insisted with Metrolink control that the driver should not set off again so soon. Am I over-reacting?

ianhr

I tried the new line today, and although I have previously been rather critical of Metrolink, I was very impressed.

Aesthetically the route seems to merge into the landscape it passes through in a much more pleasing way than the other extensions.

It actually goes to places where people live! A vast residential area which previously had no access to rail transport or has not had for a very long time. This is what new tramways should be doing.

Notwithstanding many curves and an apparently rather devious route line speeds are quite acceptable.

It is already well used for local journeys.

There is no way that trams can ever offer a service quality to equal the original electric suburban trains on the Altrincham and Bury lines (apart from the destruction of the CLC route to Chester!) and I still think these conversions were a disastrous mistake, more extensions like the Airport line to areas NOT served by rail would be very welcome.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There is no way that trams can ever offer a service quality to equal the original electric suburban trains on the Altrincham and Bury lines (apart from the destruction of the CLC route to Chester!) and I still think these conversions were a disastrous mistake, more extensions like the Airport line to areas NOT served by rail would be very welcome.

Middleton seems doomed to be "Metrolink tram-free" in the minds of the TfGM route planners, yet it once had its own tram system at one time....even before my time, should any wag decide to pass comment...:D

ianhr

Middleton seems doomed to be "Metrolink tram-free" in the minds of the TfGM route planners, yet it once had its own tram system at one time....even before my time, should any wag decide to pass comment...:D

I agree with you Paul, a route to Middleton, along the A664 Rochdale Road should now be a priority, but I am afraid the 'planners' have other ideas. They are more concerned with getting us to go shopping at the Trafford Centre than enabling the people of Middleton to get to work etc.

radamfi

Established Member
I can understand why Trafford Park has been prioritised over Middleton. Trafford Park has relatively poor bus services and is a relatively short and easy tram extension. It has been proposed for a long time.

The road to Middleton is being upgraded as part of the Cross City Bus and enjoys hyper frequent buses. I would expect First to have major objections to a Middleton tram, although you could have said the same about the 216 corridor. However, I would expect that Middleton would be on the short list of future extensions, together with East Didsbury to Stockport. It might be easier once GM gets its devolved powers, particularly if bus deregulation in GM ends.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I can understand why Trafford Park has been prioritised over Middleton. Trafford Park has relatively poor bus services and is a relatively short and easy tram extension. It has been proposed for a long time.

The road to Middleton is being upgraded as part of the Cross City Bus and enjoys hyper frequent buses. I would expect First to have major objections to a Middleton tram, although you could have said the same about the 216 corridor. However, I would expect that Middleton would be on the short list of future extensions, together with East Didsbury to Stockport. It might be easier once GM gets its devolved powers, particularly if bus deregulation in GM ends.

How is First able to object to a tram to Middleton ?

radamfi

Established Member
How is First able to object to a tram to Middleton ?

They can lobby against it, but officially they can't do anything. First are certainly making a big fuss about the Trolleybus service in Leeds.

familyguy99

If Rochdale council get they un way then trams could end up running to Middleton in near future.

I have travel on Airport line again today and was nice to see lot of people travelling on this route special in Wythenshawe area, I notice Metrolink tickets guard were stood on Wythenshawe town centre platform just like they were on Monday but it probably to make sure people are buying they ticket then travelling for free to Airport or City Centre.

I took picture of Sale Water Park stop and more picture at Airport and you can see them on this link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157635224273735/

:D

Green Lane

Great photos, familyguy99 and it is good to see the stations I did not manage to photograph myself.

I once took the tram to Shaw & Crompton, walked to Middleton town centre and then onwards to Prestwich to get the tram back again. This was for the enjoyment of the walk itself, some photos and some exercise. At around 9 miles or so for the walk and with Middleton pretty much halfway between the two lines, it made me realise how isolated it is from the Metrolink network. Of course from a tram enthusiast's point of view, I would love to see trams in Middleton. :D

Anyway a Flickr album containing photos from the Airport line trip I took on Wednesday is here:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121958154@N04/sets/72157648762293229/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.