• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink - Airport line

Status
Not open for further replies.

familyguy99

For anyone who doesn't know daylight testing will begin this Monday (15th September) from St Werburgh's Road to Airport and from 30th September they be doing evening testing as well.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=117297790&postcount=38878
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Driver training have begin on Airport line since Monday with 3066? tram one that Metrolink are using for testing.

Metrolink drivers in the pilot’s seat as training starts on new Airport line

Metrolink’s new line to Wythenshawe and Manchester Airport is getting ready for take-off over a year early, as tram drivers take their first training sessions on the route.

While trams will become a familiar sight on the new 15-stop line, passengers are being reminded that they won’t be able to catch them just yet.

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=531

Also it been confirm on SCC (Skyscrapercity website) that ticket machines have started popping up on Airport line, ticket machines are last thing they put on platform and when over new lines started having ticket machines in place lines opened in within 3 to 4 weeks times so we may be seeing Airport line opening sometime in October. (My guess is late October time) :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richardio123

I posted this on SSC but i thought i'd give you guys an update of the southern part of the Airport line

Airport Line Photo Update

Staring at Robinswood places are starting to look picturesque

IMG_4883 by Richardio123, on Flickr

Down Simonsway

IMG_4885 by Richardio123, on Flickr

The Autumn leaves starting to fall

IMG_4887 by Richardio123, on Flickr

IMG_4888 by Richardio123, on Flickr

Peel Hall in the autumn sun

IMG_4893 by Richardio123, on Flickr

Down Shadowmoss.. tis a bit foggy today

IMG_4894 by Richardio123, on Flickr

Down to Aviator way

IMG_4896 by Richardio123, on Flickr

IMG_4897 by Richardio123, on Flickr

The long straight

IMG_4901 by Richardio123, on Flickr

The End

IMG_4907 by Richardio123, on Flickr
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Services on Metrolink’s new line to Manchester Airport will open to passengers on Monday 3 November – well over 12 months ahead of schedule.

The final stage of a thorough pre-launch process will start on Monday 20 October when test trams will start to run out of service between Cornbrook and the airport every 12 minutes – which is how often trams will run on the line from launch.

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=545

theshillito

This gives me some more track to bash now that I've done all bar the MediaCityUK bypass (I just seem to be unable to be there at the right time to do that bit)!

table38

Established Member
MEN says 3rd November!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/new-metrolink-line-wythenshawe-manchester-7927130

Metrolink bosses have confirmed an opening date of November 3 for passengers wanting to use the new 14.5km route.
The final stage of a pre-launch process is due to start on Monday October 20 when test trams will start to run out of service between Cornbrook and Manchester Airport every 12 minutes – which is how often trams will run on the line from the launch date.

-- edit --

sorry just noticed this already above in richardio123's post :oops:

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Its an advertising livery for the BBC's history of Childrens television museum exhibition. Not seen the exhibition myself but heard good reviews saying it appeals as much to adults as children due to nostalgia.

telstarbox

Established Member
Last edited:

spargazer

TfGM and the Airport Line
Cornbrook and Sale Water Park are the only two stops that lack a bus link, note:-Cornbrook is a terminus, TfGM are duffers and also I am very miffed at not being offered a permit for free travel Saturday Nov 1st whilst everyone else along the line living in Manchester has, I live in Trafford in Sale Moor. Advice to pax on this line is to change at Trafford Bar and get the bus. Or indeed even stick with the bus and forget the tram altogether as the tram will be packed.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Interesting, a third of airline passengers at Manchester travel outside this time,

Don't even think of taking your line of thought down that particular line...<(...Can you imagine a family returning home from a flight with their luggage descending upon a tram at Manchester Airport. It is bad enough normally, with the normal things that people choose to bring onto trams, so large luggage items will be even worse.

I heard someone saying how good this Metrolink Airport Line will be for being taken directly into Manchester for airline passengers (with their luggage) and was then pleased to hear another person remind him that it would be "all change" at Cornbrook. Another "Evercreech Junction" in the making?

Manchester77

Established Member
TfGM and the Airport Line
Cornbrook and Sale Water Park are the only two stops that lack a bus link, note:-Cornbrook is a terminus, TfGM are duffers and also I am very miffed at not being offered a permit for free travel Saturday Nov 1st whilst everyone else along the line living in Manchester has, I live in Trafford in Sale Moor. Advice to pax on this line is to change at Trafford Bar and get the bus. Or indeed even stick with the bus and forget the tram altogether as the tram will be packed.

Cornbrook is a temporary terminus and the clapham junction of Metrolink so it's harld like passengers will be stranded when they alight at cornbrook. If you're going into town its pretty obvious for a journey like Wythenshawe TC to town, tram to airport - train to Piccadilly/Oxford Road. For a journey like Sale WP to town, tram to Cornbook - change onto any of the 25tph into town and alight at StPeters/Gardens/Market St.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I can't see the tram beating the train for any journey between central Manchester and the Airport, though I think I read somewhere it would be quicker from Deansgate-Castlefield if the Airport trams ran through. Other airport journeys such as Sale or Altrincham are probably still quicker by bus. So it's likely that the number of airline passengers on the tram will be rather small, and mostly only using the outer end of the route where there are fewer other passengers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Cornbrook is a temporary terminus and the Clapham Junction of Metrolink so it's harld like passengers will be stranded when they alight at Cornbrook. If you're going into town its pretty obvious for a journey like Wythenshawe TC to town, tram to airport - train to Piccadilly/Oxford Road. For a journey like Sale WP to town, tram to Cornbook - change onto any of the 25tph into town and alight at St. Peters/Gardens/Market St.

Those London-based forum members of this website would be horrified to see Clapham Junction with its multitudes of platforms being compared to the solitary narrow platform elevated stop, prone to all types of weather, that unfortunately is Cornbrook...:roll:

Perhaps the ubiquitous heavy-rail station that is Sandhills would be a better comparison, with its elevated situation that is open to all weather elements.

Manchester77

Established Member
I can't see the tram beating the train for any journey between central Manchester and the Airport, though I think I read somewhere it would be quicker from Deansgate-Castlefield if the Airport trams ran through. Other airport journeys such as Sale or Altrincham are probably still quicker by bus. So it's likely that the number of airline passengers on the tram will be rather small, and mostly only using the outer end of the route where there are fewer other passengers.
Good job it wasn't built for getting passengers from town to the airport, it was built to serve Wythenshawe and link communities to big employers like the airport. A TPE service from piccadilly will obviously be faster than the met!
Those London-based forum members of this website would be horrified to see Clapham Junction with its multitudes of platforms being compared to the solitary narrow platform elevated stop, prone to all types of weather, that unfortunately is Cornbrook...:roll:

Perhaps the ubiquitous heavy-rail station that is Sandhills would be a better comparison, with its elevated situation that is open to all weather elements.
I was meaning in terms of frequency with cornbrook being the busiest stop on the network! Cornbrook is pretty crap in terms of facilities.

starrymarkb

Established Member
You may laugh, but the GSMR equipment recently installed between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport gets affected by the ILS signals from Manchester Airport. That is from the mouth of the GSMR technicians. But don't worry, the GSMR doesn't interfere with the ILS, just the other way round. I don't know what sort of system Metrolink uses for its TMS, whether radio based or cable based, but they too might have issues around the Airport and flight path.

A CAT III ILS is probably capable of blasting through any GSM signal.

theshillito

With the opening of the airport line nearly here, are day tickets set to increase in price? I recall it being so when the Rochdale line opened, or perhaps I just timed it badly with an annual fare increase.

theshillito

That is good value when the National Rail pricing is £7.70 for an anytime return between the Airport and the Manchester stations.

That's anytime return. If you want peak time added to Metrolink, a return from Piccadilly to Airport is £6.20. £1.50 extra to go by train. Probably worth it.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That is good value when the National Rail pricing is £7.70 for an anytime return between the Airport and the Manchester stations.

That's anytime return. If you want peak time added to Metrolink, a return from Piccadilly to Airport is £6.20. £1.50 extra to go by train. Probably worth it.

Actually, £7.70 is the price of an Anytime Day Return. An Anytime Return costs £9.60, which allows one to come back another day. I don't believe Metrolink offer this facility.

theshillito

Actually, £7.70 is the price of an Anytime Day Return. An Anytime Return costs £9.60, which allows one to come back another day. I don't believe Metrolink offer this facility.

I did mean day return. Either way, it's an extra £1.50 to turn a 45 minute journey into a 20 minute one. I suppose the savings add up if you went for Metrolink over mainline.

rebmcr

Established Member
For reference:

Code:
National Rail
                Single        Day Return    Open Return
[U]Peak            £ 4.80        £ 7.70        £ 9.60     
Off-Peak        £ 4.10        £ 4.20                   
[COLOR="Gray"]1st Class       £ 7.00                      £14.00     
1st Class TPE                               £ 9.50     [/COLOR][/U]

Metrolink
                Single        Day Return    2×Single
[U]Peak            £ 4.20        £ 6.20        £ 8.40     
Off-Peak                      £ 4.40                   [/U]

The Open Return fares on National Rail are the equivalent of 2×Singles (where available) anyway.

Last edited:

spargazer

In the late 90s the M60 was widened and the highways agency offered to build the road level up to permit a tunnel for the trams rather than an over bridge, TfGM declined as the line was still a pipe dream and more importantly it may get flooded, the tram line at Sale Water park is still at risk of flooding but it is less dangerous than in a tunnel. see this. http://maps.environment-agency.gov....&textonly=off#x=381068&y=391910&lg=1,&scale=9

thealexweb

For reference:

Code:
National Rail
                Single        Day Return    Open Return
[U]Peak            £ 4.80        £ 7.70        £ 9.60     
Off-Peak        £ 4.10        £ 4.20                   
[COLOR="Gray"]1st Class       £ 7.00                      £14.00     
1st Class TPE                               £ 9.50     [/COLOR][/U]

Metrolink
                Single        Day Return    2×Single
[U]Peak            £ 4.20        £ 6.20        £ 8.40     
Off-Peak                      £ 4.40                   [/U]

The Open Return fares on National Rail are the equivalent of 2×Singles (where available) anyway.

The definition of Off-peak is different now isn't it? Doesn't Metrolink only have a morning peak?

snowball

Established Member
In the late 90s the M60 was widened and the highways agency offered to build the road level up to permit a tunnel for the trams rather than an over bridge, TfGM declined as the line was still a pipe dream and more importantly it may get flooded, the tram line at Sale Water park is still at risk of flooding but it is less dangerous than in a tunnel. see this. http://maps.environment-agency.gov....&textonly=off#x=381068&y=391910&lg=1,&scale=9

It was a bit later than you say - construction started in 2003 and was completed in June 2006.

I didn't know before that an underpass was offered.

The bridge carrying Fairy Lane had to be rebuilt to accommodate the widened motorway and the replacement bridge included an extra span which the Metrolink line now goes under.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I was there in Ryde in November 2010 when the Ryde Tunnel was flooded quite dramatically.

table38

Established Member
Well I'll be out on Monday to try the new line. Looks like it opened just in time!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-chaos-cards-train-8020923

Manchester Airport’s train station will be closed for three weeks as work is carried out to complete a fourth platform.

Transport chiefs have warned travellers will face four weeks of disruption and will have to find alternative ways of getting to and from the airport as rail replacement buses are put on to cope with the disruption in early 2015.

One of its three platforms will be shut on Sunday January 11, before the remaining two close on Saturday January 19.

All three will re-open on Monday February 9 – meaning no trains will run in or out of the station for three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.