• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink - Airport line

Status
Not open for further replies.

table38

Established Member
I wonder why they feel the need to put Manchester Airport as opposed to just Airport on the front - or is there something in planning for an extension to Stansted? :lol:

Maybe to allow for a line to Salford City Airport or whatever Barton Aerodrome is called these days :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Maybe to allow for a line to Salford City Airport or whatever Barton Aerodrome is called these days :)

If Marwan Koukash had his way, it would be known as the Salford Red Devils International Airport.....:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder why they feel the need to put Manchester Airport as opposed to just Airport on the front - or is there something in planning for an extension to Stansted? :lol:

Edinburgh Trams call their terminal stop "Edinburgh Airport".....any news on what name is shown on their trams destination panel ?

Aictos

Established Member
If Marwan Koukash had his way, it would be known as the Salford Red Devils International Airport.....:D

Edinburgh Trams call their terminal stop "Edinburgh Airport".....any news on what name is shown on their trams destination panel ?

York Place is your answer fella, have to say the trams were very very well loaded when I last went up recently and the wifi well compared to Scotrail it was like comparing a F1 Car to a Ford T, the Scotrail wifi has nothing on the Trams wifi.

khib70

York Place is your answer fella, have to say the trams were very very well loaded when I last went up recently and the wifi well compared to Scotrail it was like comparing a F1 Car to a Ford T, the Scotrail wifi has nothing on the Trams wifi.
And "Airport" going the other way/

See a lot of trams in the morning and evening peaks during my commute and I would disagree that they're "very very well loaded" normally. It's the Festival currently so loadings are higher.

Like 80% of the population here, neither my home or workplace are anywhere near a tram stop so I've only used them once out of curiosity. Never tried the wifi, but the on-bus version is very good. Their lack of A/C and opening windows is a real problem even with light loadings and temperatures in the low 20's.

Sorry for going off topic BTW, but can never resist a dig at our local white elephant. <(

TBSchenker

I was leaving the Airport yesterday (Tuesday) and there was a tram parked under the new bridge as the metrolink lines curve left. It looked like it was stabled they're. This was at 4.30

theshillito

I was leaving the Airport yesterday (Tuesday) and there was a tram parked under the new bridge as the metrolink lines curve left. It looked like it was stabled they're. This was at 4.30

I might go have a nosy. Where in relation to the rail station is the Metrolink stop? (I've not visited in several months if it's super obvious)

spargazer

Why are the Finials on top of the poles on the new unopened metro at Sale Moor hemispherical and the ones near the airport pointed?

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
Why are the Finials on top of the poles on the new unopened metro at Sale Moor hemispherical and the ones near the airport pointed?

I'm guessing you're talking about the hats on top of OHLE poles? They'll get fitted soon if they don't have hats yet, I'm surprised I thought the entire airport line had been done!

snowball

Established Member
He appears to be saying that Sale Moor has non-standard hats, not that it has no hats.

Considering how often the hats have been noted on SSC I'm surprised that we've missed that.

Manchester77

Established Member
He appears to be saying that Sale Moor has non-standard hats, not that it has no hats.

Considering how often the hats have been noted on SSC I'm surprised that we've missed that.

Ah right and same the hatting of OHLE poles is usually a well noted event!

Were are they? Freel on SCC has posted photos from the area and there are on,y tin hats?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=116865516&postcount=38672

spargazer

The hats, or finials, are now the pointy type at Sale Moor/M60, they were hemispherical about 10 days ago.

snowball

Established Member
You appear to be the first person to have seen any hat but a pointy one on Metrolink poles.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This part of Metrolink is affected by the permitted clearances in the vicinity of the runway, which is why it's in a cutting. Fitting pointy hats would increase the overall height of the OLE by a foot or so, so the cutting would have to be deeper by the same amount.

snowball

Established Member
There are special low-level lamp posts about 4ft high on Ringway Road and Shadowmoss Road near their junction, shown in some of Richardio's previous pictures on SSC. I hadn't noticed the different hats before.

dggar

There are special low-level lamp posts about 4ft high on Ringway Road and Shadowmoss Road near their junction, shown in some of Richardio's previous pictures on SSC. I hadn't noticed the different hats before.

Is this correct?

Do people over 4ft have to crawl on all fours when out on the street.:o

spargazer

High poles would affect the ILS at the airport, testing by the DfT or is it CAA? has taken place.

snowball

Established Member
There were normal lamp posts on Ringway Road across the flight path until recently.

TBSchenker

You may laugh, but the GSMR equipment recently installed between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Airport gets affected by the ILS signals from Manchester Airport. That is from the mouth of the GSMR technicians. But don't worry, the GSMR doesn't interfere with the ILS, just the other way round. I don't know what sort of system Metrolink uses for its TMS, whether radio based or cable based, but they too might have issues around the Airport and flight path.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Lineside fibre optic cable and wi-fi in an IP based system, lineside cable also carries the TVM and PID/PA.

Too many Acronyms!

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
Think there are 5 out on the line because there are photos of TMS testing with 5 units however its unknown whether some have returned to old trafford

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm guessing you're talking about the hats on top of OHLE poles? They'll get fitted soon if they don't have hats yet, I'm surprised I thought the entire airport line had been done!

I seem to be in a grammatical pedant minority of one, but I will go to my grave being adamant that finial is the correct name to be so applied to an object that is in this position. For how many years has the terminology of "(top) hat" been an acceptable alternative name in such a situation ?

Last edited:

Boysteve

I seem to be in a grammatical pedant minority of one, but I will go to my grave being adamant that finial is the correct name to be so applied to an object that is in this position. For how many years has the terminology of "(top) hat" been an acceptable alternative name in such a situation ?

I am pedant number two then!

Status
Not open for further replies.