• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamesBrown

I am not sure if this is best on here or the Light Rail forum.
However I am getting into Manchester Piccadilly next Thursday and am looking for a tram ticket that lets me do all the lines, any suggestions??

Thanks James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
If you're coming off peak, have a look at the System One Travelcards.

If you only want to do trams, you can get a tram only day saver ticket valid on all off peak services.

If you wanted to use trams and trains, there is an option for that, again, off peak.

They are also available for Tram Train and Bus services, about £8/day IIRC, only off peak though.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If travelling into Manchester Piccadilly from a railway station in the Greater Manchester area, then a GM Day Saver (Train + Tram) ticket would allow unlimited off-peak train/tram travel (i.e. after 9.30 a.m.) within the GM area. Fare is £7.20. More info at the following link:-

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr3cfe47a5f74f71a910521f00c13663/details.html

A Wayfarer ticket (costing £10-00) would work similarly, if travelling into Manchester Piccadilly from certain stations just outside of the Greater Manchester area. More info at the following link:-

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/prd6401efbea4da8a529e880b352b5d4/details.html

Otherwise, a "Metromax" ticket (= unlimited off-peak tram ticket) can be purchased from a Metrolink TVM machine at Piccadilly Station. Cost is about £4.50.

pemma

Veteran Member
However I am getting into Manchester Piccadilly next Thursday

Which rail station are you starting your rail journey from?

that lets me do all the lines

Metrolink isn't a fast service. Deangate-Urmston by train is much faster than Deansgate-Media City by tram despite the latter being less than half the distance of the former.

Note it will probably take at least 4 hours normally (assuming you don't spend any time in Bury, Altrincham, Salford Quays etc.) but Metrolink has been very unreliable recently.

Philip Purdy, TfGM's Metrolink Director, said: 'Unfortunately, we had tram failures at key locations on the network on two consecutive evenings - Tuesday and Wednesday - and both during the very busy peak period.

'We fully appreciate that any disruption to services can be annoying, but that it's felt particularly keenly at the busiest times, when people are making their way home from a hard day at work, so I'd like to apologise to anyone who was affected.

'While we know that it simply wasn't an acceptable level of service, we endeavoured to keep all our customers informed and have people on the ground to provide support.

'In both cases, services were affected by faults with the older vehicles from the fleet - known as T68s. There are 32 in total and the vast majority of them have been in service since 1992, so they are nearly 20 years old.

'They are considerably less reliable than the new yellow-and-silver M5000s and we're fully aware of how that can affect the reliability of services. That is why we are investing in replacing 12 of these original - and oldest - trams with brand new M5000s.'

And since then...

20/01/2012 - 15:55 Delays to Bury/Altrincham services
Metrolink services

Due to an earlier failed tram at Prestwich services are currently experiencing delays on the Bury line.

So allow 5 hours+ if you really want to do all lines.

MrJamesBrown

Hey, I am coming from Fairwater.
I am just going to have alot of spare time in manc, just wondered what my options were.
Thankyou for your replies :)

pemma

Veteran Member
Hey, I am coming from Fairwater.
I am just going to have alot of spare time in manc, just wondered what my options were.

If you're coming from Fairwater and trying to do all lines you can't buy a cost effective add on to your rail ticket.

If you're travelling on a normal single/return ticket for Fairwater to Manchester and not taking too much luggage you might be interested to know that your Fairwater to Manchester ticket is valid via Chester and would allow you to do Fairfield-Cardiff-Chester-Altrincham with Altrincham being the Southern most point of the Metrolink and then you could still return from Manchester or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.