• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester or Stockport - London Sunday 7th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyvegas

Just trying to find the best fares for a trip to London next Month.

I have no rail card or oyster card other than a season ticket for Greater Manchester.

I'm pretty flexible on the way down, can leave from about 9am onwards but can arrive at anytime up till about 3pm. Coming back, I'm looking for a departure of 9pm onwards.

The best I have found are two £29 singles via East Coast but I'm thinking for the extra I may as well get an off-peak return for a further £7.70 to give me greater flexibilty.

Can anyone offer any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:roll: The advance fares for Sunday 7th March don't seem to save you much. So instead, for reasonable flexibility, why not consider an off-peak return from Manchester to London which would cost you £66.20 from Manchester (or £65.70 from Stockport) and you wouldn't be restricted to specific trains out and back. Quickest journey times would probably be for direct journeys from Manchester Piccadilly/Stockport to/from London Euston via the West Coast Main line, our forum experts can no doubt advise on more esoteric alternative routings if that's what you actually want.

trickyvegas

Thanks, that's where I'm leaning at the moment but as I've time to spare on the way there, I'm open to taking a more roundabout trip if there's a decent saving and then getting the £29 single fare on the way back.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:roll: Not sure that you'd make it back to Manchester/Stockport if you left as late as 9 p.m. from any other London station than Euston.

trickyvegas

Yeah was looking at Euston for my return journey.

Have found an advance single with TPE, Manchester - Sheffield at £5, departing 8.58 arriving 9.45 and then EMT Sheffield - St Pancras Dep at 10.28, arriving 13.51. £17 Standard or £23 First Class.

Just wondering if the quality of first class on a Sunday with EMT would justify the extra time spent travelling?

John @ home

Established Member
the quality of first class on a Sunday with EMT
Comfortable seats. A quiet carriage at 1028 on a Sunday morning. No at-seat service. Showing your First Class ticket at the buffet gets you a free cup of tea or coffee.

In my opinion, just about worth the extra £6.

pemma

Veteran Member
If you're not in a rush to get to London you can use the Wrexham & Shropshire service from Shrewsbury for £10 each way on a week day if you buy a print at home ticket the day before. However, £10 tickets don't seem to be available on Sunday and it may take a bit too long to do on a Sunday with a less frequent Shrewsbury service from Manchester.

trickyvegas

Thanks for the help folks, think I'm leaning to the EMT option as I've not tried them on a London trip before.

John @ home

Established Member
think I'm leaning to the EMT option
Rather than buy two tickets, if you book at eastmidlandstrains.co.uk you can get a through ticket from Manchester Piccadilly to London St Pancras via Sheffield on Sunday 7 March. Current prices are
08:58 Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield 09:45
09:59 Sheffield - London St Pancras Intl 13:20
£21 Standard

09:22 Manchester Piccadilly Sheffield 10:43
11:06 Sheffield - London St Pancras Intl 14:19
£21 Standard or £22 First Class

trickyvegas

Rather than buy two tickets, if you book at eastmidlandstrains.co.uk you can get a through ticket from Manchester Piccadilly to London St Pancras via Sheffield on Sunday 7 March. Current prices are

Cheers John, that's a further saving and I don't have to stress about my connecting train to Sheffield being delayed if they're on the same ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All booked now, decided to go for the EMT bargain going down and went for the £5 Nat Express return as I will most likely be sleeping off the days excesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.