Manchester to luton

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by CHESHIRECAT, 23 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHESHIRECAT

CHESHIRECAT Member

Assuming Trainline is correct, why can't I get below on the Virgin Website ?!

Outward Journey (07 Dec 2011) Depart Arrive Travel by Train company Duration
    07:15Manchester Piccadilly 08:46Milton Keynes Central Train VIRGIN TRAINS 01h 31
    08:55Milton Keynes Central 09:40Luton Bus VIRGIN TRAINS

I tried the Virgin one first (as you would for a Virgin train!) and it gave connections via London...

An e-mail from VT Customer Relations denied all knowledge of the Bus Link (despite it being mentioned on the Route Map!)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Virgin website will sell me a ticket for that route, as will East Coast (which uses WebTIS) and FGW (which, like Virgin, uses Thetrainline). I didn't bring up the payment screen but it was certainly coming up with the times and the price.

4. CHESHIRECAT

CHESHIRECAT Member

have just tried agian.. apologies.. must have been finger trouble...what it doesnt seem to do is allow you to book through on that bus to Luton Airport itself ..surprising Virgin didn't know about their own service though..

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes that is surprising, however if you PM me the person who wrote to you, I can ensure that a colleague advises them of its existence ;)

6. dvboy

dvboy Established Member

Ah, you are going to Luton Airport.

When you get to Luton Airport Parkway, go to the ticket office and they will excess it for you. They will not do this on the bus itself (and it will be more expensive).

7. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

The op does not need to go to the ticket office at Luton Airport Parkway, Luton or Milton Keynes Central if the ticket is to Luton Airbus MK, which it should be. The bus is direct from Milton Keynes Central to Luton Airport. If going only to Luton, the ticket should be to Luton Bus MK.

8. dvboy

dvboy Established Member

Sorry I misread the post, didn't realise he was getting the bus from MKC.

9. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was under the impression that the service is no longer operated by VT, but instead by Stagecoach as a regular bus service.

10. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

It is - but it is advertised as a kind of 'rail link' bus and rail tickets are accepted on the bus. You can buy a through Manchester to Luton ticket and it will tell you to take the bus, between Milton Keynes and Luton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.