• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Nottingham via Transpeak bus query

Status
Not open for further replies.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
OHopefully a simple one.

Is the over 65 pass valid for free travel on these?

Potential passenger is a resident of Greater Manchester, if this helps...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, it's registered as a normal local bus service so you can use a concessionary pass.

Hope this helps.

neilmc

Definitely valid - my father-in-law caught it last weekend.

Apart from Megabus and National Express coaches, and routes which operate to the coast in summer only, I think the concessionary pass is valid on all "express" services operated by normal bus operators although doubtless contributors will know of some exceptions.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
My friend is actually travelling Rochdale to Corby and back.

He'll probably do bus/train (either are free) to Manchester, Transpeak to Nottingham, train to Kettering and bus to Corby (according to Traveline, a bus only Nottigham Corby trip takes 2.5 hours via Oakham). He uses Kettering rather than Market Harborough as the bus from the former stops at the doorstep of his destination in Corby.

bangor-toad

Hi there,
Just as a general question, how much does a Nottingham <--> Manchester return ticket cost on Transpeak?
(Just a normal adult return with no discounts at all)

I've often thought I'd try this one day just for the novelty but I've never actually seen the fare publicised.
Cheers,
Jason

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The £10 zigzag plus was valid on TP so a day return cost no more than £10. I think a single was something like £7.50.

Of course things have changed now.

Statto

Established Member
The £10 zigzag plus was valid on TP so a day return cost no more than £10. I think a single was something like £7.50.

Of course things have changed now.

Indeed, the Zig Zag Plus are no longer valid due to the TrentBarton Dove Holes depot merging with Bowers Coaches becoming High Peak.

There is a Peak Plus ticket but
PeakPlus
The PeakPlus is the new network day ticket product, which is valid on all services operated by High Peak with the following exceptions:
Not Valid on TransPeak between Matlock and Nottingham.
Not Valid on TransPeak between Hazel Grove and Manchester.
Not valid on Skyline between Haze Grove and the Airport before 09:00.

The PeakPlus costs just £6 for Adults, £4 for children and £14 for a Family Ticket (upto 2 adults and 2 children aged 16). Buy from your High Peak driver today!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Is the over 65 pass valid for free travel on these? Potential passenger is a resident of Greater Manchester, if this helps...

The ENTP is valid within all of England in the times of validity on normal registered bus services, which must NOT be confused with any National Express-type services where pre-booking is part of the contractual terms, so I have been informed by the agencies concerned.

We have used our passes on normal bus services on the Isle of Wight, Cornwall and all over West Sussex in recent months (We live in Cheshire East).

Welshman

Established Member
My friend is actually travelling Rochdale to Corby and back.

He'll probably do bus/train (either are free) to Manchester, Transpeak to Nottingham, train to Kettering and bus to Corby (according to Traveline, a bus only Nottigham Corby trip takes 2.5 hours via Oakham). He uses Kettering rather than Market Harborough as the bus from the former stops at the doorstep of his destination in Corby.

Your friend could get off the Transpeak at Derby Bus station and board the Skylink service to Leicester. They operate every 30 minutes and take about 75 minutes.
It would be about the same time as going via Nottingham, but mean he would only have to pay for the Leicester-Kettering journey rather than from Nottingham.

Comstock

Since the OPs question has been answered, can I ask a broader one?

Where do you draw the line between 'bus' and 'coach' for the purposes of OAP free travel?

Or indeed for any other purpose?

MCR247

Established Member
If a service is registered as a bus service and if a service is registered as a coach service?

Comstock

If a service is registered as a bus service and if a service is registered as a coach service?

There is a formal register?

Since operators get re-imbursed for each bus pass user they carry there is an obvious advantage in being classed as a bus service I guess.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There is a formal register?

Since operators get re-imbursed for each bus pass user they carry there is an obvious advantage in being classed as a bus service I guess.

All bus service registrations are logged with the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) and can be checked on their website at www.dft.gov.uk/vosa - along with the registration details of all bus operators.

Not sure about coach services - I have a feeling that they are operated quite differently, with stops over a set distance apart not requiring registration. There was a period where NatEx operators were registering sections of NatEx routes to claim BSOG - but this required them to accept concessionary passes, until the rules were amended to stop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.