Manchester to Warrington

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by bitmadmax, 30 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bitmadmax

bitmadmax Member

A lot of weekends I travel to Warrington Central from Manchester Picc. I pay £7.80 for a single on Friday afternoon, returning the Monday morning (peak) again paying £7.80. Could I make this cheaper? Looking at advanced tickets they seem to be the same price no matter how advance I look.

Thanks all.

2. 30907

30907 Established Member

There aren't any Advance fares for this journey, which is why they don't appear cheaper.

An Offpeak return to Liverpool would be valid to alight/board at Warrington and is fractionally cheaper at £14.90. The only time restriction is FROM Manchester before 0829.

3. bitmadmax

bitmadmax Member

Thanks 30907. I think I've missed something here. I seem to be getting more options on tpexpress/national rail websites than I have done previously.

A "first class open return" seems to be cheapest, departing Picadilly on a Friday and returning on the same route and operator (TPE) is only £14.10 it seems. Would this be valid on say, the 16.07 outbound on the Friday and valid on the 06.45 inbound on the Monday?

4. sonic2009

sonic2009 Established Member

Perfectly valid as long as your times you have mentioned are TPE trains.

5. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

... and beware that if you board a non-TPE service with that £14.10 ticket, your ticket is not valid at all and a brand new ticket will be required.

6. bitmadmax

bitmadmax Member

Thank you all for your advice, it is appreciated.

7. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Established Member

Free refreshments too, if you're lucky.

8. bitmadmax

bitmadmax Member

Hi - me again :D

Further to me asking about the cheapest return fare between Manchester/Warrington - can anyone tell me where the TPexpress ticket machines are/where I can buy the TPE open 1st return ticket at Picadilly? NR site shows the ticket machine being on the overbridge, but this seems well within the station where I would already have been asked to show a ticket. The ticket machines on the main concourse and around the corner from the metrolink platform only seem to do the bog standard tickets (presumably as they are virgin ticket machines). I didn't get chance to try the Northern ones. Thanks :roll:
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Haha yes, I've read about TPE's somewhat sketchy "trolley" service. I'm not too fussed, cheap and cheerful is the order of the day!

9. island

island Established Member

I don't think FTPE operates any ticket machines at Manchester Pic, but you can get the ticket you need from the ticket office.

10. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

On the TPE website for nectar points too, and it can be collected from any TVM.

11. 185143

185143 Established Member

VERY lucky! Trolleys are booked to be taken off at Piccadilly! I do Birchwood-Manchester and back every day and I've seen 8 trolleys in 5 years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.