• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester United Football Ground railway station accessibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

Having searched through the forums I couldn't find any mention of this, however apologies if this has come up before.

I'm interested to know if it is possible to exit this station from one of the match day services that terminate there, without having to go into the ground itself, i.e. to a public road.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You will not be forced to enter the football ground and the railway station does not have direct access into the paid area of the ground.

Thomas6187

Yes, it is possible to exit the station without going in the ground. The best exit is the Manchester End which comes out about 75 yards from Sir Matt Busby Way

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Assuming you're wanting to do this to 'tick' the station off (or whatever) and avoid a train full of well-oiled United fans on the way to a match, I'd suggest getting one of the earlier (or earliest) service down there as they're usually pretty quiet.

As others have said, the station exits under/in the vicinity of the Sir Bobby Charlton (South) Stand tunnel at United, but you're in an 'open access' area and can walk right down to Sir Matt Busby Way, or left and round the back of the stadium and across to the Freightliner container yard (not that you can see much of the railway workings from there).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Assuming you're wanting to do this to 'tick' the station off (or whatever) and avoid a train full of well-oiled United fans on the way to a match, I'd suggest getting one of the earlier (or earliest) service down there as they're usually pretty quiet.

they will tear you limb from limb if they spot you ( hahaha) as a spotter :roll: Kind of overlooks the fact many Manure fans are tourists.

You will have no problems and can get off the station just like any other.

TimboM

Established Member
they will tear you limb from limb if they spot you ( hahaha) as a spotter :roll: Kind of overlooks the fact many Manure fans are tourists.

Some are (irritating) tourists, the majority are hardened, rabid Mancunians who eat spotters as a pre-match snack. ;) Trust me, I've spent the last two Sundays with thousands of them

Seriously, as DarloRich says, you'll be fine. Very little bother around the ground, especially if you go when it's a 'mundane' match like Bournemouth at home this Saturday lunchtime.

You can also take a look at the Munich display in the tunnel as you exit if you fancy immersing yourself in some United history... :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
There is no trains this Saturday

Seems odd as the line appears to be open. The services might not have been loaded into the system yet?

I suspect most regular goers make use of the metrolink due to it being cheaper (£3 return from the city) & more frequent.

Certainly when I did the station back in January for the FA Cup game against Reading the 323 was only half full

misterredmist

I used to use the train a lot to O.T as very convenient, especially on a rainy day, the Metrolink is a long walk away and it can take a few trams to clear the backlog....

as said above, sometimes the trains don't come up on the system until a few days prior.....

Thomas6187

I believe there is no trains Saturday because of engineering work on the Airport Line, meaning some train will terminate at Oxford Rd. I guessing due to increased platform occupancy at Oxford Rd no paths are available for the football trains

Does this football stadium ever get used for any other special events other than football? If so do the train services still run on these days?

miami

Established Member
Do they trains take passengers contra-flow? So board at MUFC before the game?

Thomas6187

Does this football stadium ever get used for any other special events other than football? If so do the train services still run on these days?

Trains usually run for the Super League Grand Final, which is really is the only other event which uses Old Trafford.

No, just trains from Manchester before and back to Manchester after.

Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member

Not officially although it has been know from Northern's control to allow passengers who have boarded the wrong train in Manchester to travel back to Oxford Rd especially as departure screens don't always correctly show trains to MUFC ground.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member
I think one of my mates who was getting the track in did just that.

Trains usually run for the Super League Grand Final, which is really is the only other event which uses Old Trafford.

No, just trains from Manchester before and back to Manchester after.

I was hoping there would be some non sport related event at the stadium! It looks like i will have to travel with all the football fans to tick off this station!

TimboM

Established Member
I was hoping there would be some non sport related event at the stadium! It looks like i will have to travel with all the football fans to tick off this station!

As mentioned above, if you go on the first one down there on a match day (when they're running) it will be pretty quiet and unlikely to be full of drunk hooligans. It should be pretty calm and not manically around the ground too at that time.

bradders1983

As mentioned above, if you go on the first one down there on a match day (when they're running) it will be pretty quiet and unlikely to be full of drunk hooligans. It should be pretty calm and not manically around the ground too at that time.

Ah, its the "all football fans are drunk hooligans" line, been a few days since we last saw that on here :roll::roll:

Howardh

Established Member
It is possible in spring and late summer to get off at Lesser Old Trafford and walk down, what, about half-a-mile (?) to Greater Old Trafford and watch the Mighty Lancashire play some cricket. But be quick if you want to see them batting; but anyway it beats football hands-down!

TimboM

Established Member
Ah, its the "all football fans are drunk hooligans" line, been a few days since we last saw that on here :roll::roll:

You've misinterpreted my comment. I've been a United season ticket holder for many years following them home and away, so I am very aware ALL football fans aren't drunk hooligans these days, thank you. However, I also know at certain times and places things can get a bit "lively", often with alcohol (and other substances) as contributory factors.

SWT Class 450 was evidently hoping they could avoid travelling with lots of fans to tick off the MUFC Ground Halt, so I was simply offering some advice/reassurance from personal experience that the earlier trains down tend to be relatively peaceful, however the last one (or two) down before the match are typically much busier - and with more well-oiled and noisy fans - who've been having pre-match drinks in town and all pile onto the last train down.

So, my very point was that ALL fans aren't drunk hooligans - but SOME are - and providing some hopefully helpful advice to end up on the services down to Old Trafford with the more favourable of these options...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.