• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mandatory 14 day quarantine to be introduced in the UK from 08/06/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester1

Established Member
I agree with you. But I do believe now wasn't really a good time to relax the quarantine, as the virus is still quite risky.

Not that I am against foreign holidays - mind you I'm getting bored of staying in the UK all the time, and I always enjoy going abroad. All I'm saying is that I don't think now was a good time to relax the quarantine due to the virus still being quite risky...

Do you think its safer to have record numbers of tourists in the UK for the modern era this summer? There simply isn't the capacity in the UK for everyone who wants a holiday this summer, who is not shielding and can afford it to do it in the UK. It would be chaos. Its not the 1950s, our tourism industry is built on the assumption that it is not catering for everyone. Imagine the average south coast seaside town in August and then imagine residents can charge insane rents for Airbnb rentals because every hotel, B&B caravan park and campsite is fully booked. Would you be safer on a beach there or in Greece were they have enforce social distancing on beaches in tourist areas and can do it because they have half their normal visitors? Combined that with much lower rates of infection in most of Europe and it is less risky.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gadget88

Passengers arriving at UK airports could soon be able to have the same type of saliva swab test used by the NHS to screen for the coronavirus.

Companies planning a trial of the scheme hope a negative result will allow early release from the government's 14-day travel quarantine.

People will have to pay around £140 for a test booked online before travel.

The government said the quarantine system aims to keep the transmission rate down and prevent a second wave.

BBC News has been told that a trial is expected to begin in a couple of weeks at a major UK airport.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I do. We need to impose it and keep it imposed until there's a vaccine, at which point we impose a mandatory vaccination check like Yellow Fever.

If we don't, as our cases drop we'll keep importing them.

No we don't need it, and as you well know there might never be a vaccine.

Not convinced it is. It seems like the government have capitulated to the aviation lobby and those who want to go on holiday abroad. We should have been encouraging people to stay in this country this summer, giving our own tourist industry a much needed boost.

It isn't a case of capitulation, the quarantine was applied at the wrong end of the lockdown and would if left in place likely cause more damage than it would cause.

As for people holidaying at home, there are two problems. One is the obvious one, the weather. The other is that people (and I count myself amongst them) who have been planning holidays abroad this year aren't just going to say, "oh well we were going to Crete this year but never mind let's go to Cleethorpes instead". Many will just wait until they can go abroad, its exactly what I'm planning to do because not to put too fine a point on it but UK holidays are often much more expensive than those abroad even when you factor in flights. Oh and before you pipe up @Bletchleyite, unless your tent or caravan in a field has a hotel & some nice restaurants attached, I'm not interested! ;)

The Ham

Established Member
It is never going away, I am sure that has already been stated, there may also not be a vaccine either, you will never keep a virus out of the Country, the longer we lock away, the longer the it will take to get used the the virus. all of life is a risk, avoid it, then there is no point living

Assuming that Covid-19 is here to stay, if we have 6-9 months of restricted travel around the world then the number of cases is likely is to be lower than would be the case.

By getting the number of cases down worldwide it then reduces the risk going forwards for everyone. This is highlighted by the number of places saying that they've only had cases from people traveling into the country.

If there had been a worldwide restriction (not a ban, rather making it harder for people to fly and/or quarantine for those who do travel) on air travel earlier on (even if it was once the UK started seeing cases coming from the ski resorts) then chances are the total cases would have been lower.

With lower levels, when travel then starts up normally again then it's easier to lockdown travel to high risk areas.

In the same way that it's easy to medicate for certain destination rather than all of them.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Do you think its safer to have record numbers of tourists in the UK for the modern era this summer? There simply isn't the capacity in the UK for everyone who wants a holiday this summer, who is not shielding and can afford it to do it in the UK. It would be chaos. Its not the 1950s, our tourism industry is built on the assumption that it is not catering for everyone. Imagine the average south coast seaside town in August and then imagine residents can charge insane rents for Airbnb rentals because every hotel, B&B caravan park and campsite is fully booked. Would you be safer on a beach there or in Greece were they have enforce social distancing on beaches in tourist areas and can do it because they have half their normal visitors? Combined that with much lower rates of infection in most of Europe and it is less risky.

Ok true point

Yew

Established Member
Charging for the test seems short sighted, aimed at gouging tourists, but it's large enough to encourage visitors to go elsewhere.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Charging for the test seems short sighted, aimed at gouging tourists, but it's large enough to encourage visitors to go elsewhere.
This is a private company initiative, not anything "official", so presumably aimed at making a profit from those that are willing to pay. Some, such as those making essential business trips, will see £140 to exempt them from 14 days quarantine as a good deal (always assuming the result is negative... and officially recognised).

johnnychips

Established Member
Just a heads-up: if you were thinking of travelling to Europe any time soon, the EHIC health card is easily applied for on line, but there is about a ten-day delay before delivery.

On Moderation
Countries all over are tightening (or have tightended) their borders to reduce the risk of importing infection. It is the 'tourists' choice to travel. Why should the country they are visting pay for this ?
Maybe they view the hit on tourism a sacrifice to make to avoid further cases ?

johnnychips

Established Member
Countries all over are tightening (or have tightended) their borders to reduce the risk of importing infection. It is the 'tourists' choice to travel. Why should the country they are visting pay for this ?
Maybe they view the hit on tourism a sacrifice to make to avoid further cases ?
Do I really have to answer this? There is a one in 1700 chance I have CV. When, hopefully, I go to Spain at the end of July, the probability will be even less. I will be temperature tested at the airport. I will spend at least €2000. Multiply this by the large number of people who prefer Marbella to Mablethorpe... I know what I’d prefer if I were the Spanish government.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just a heads-up: if you were thinking of travelling to Europe any time soon, the EHIC health card is easily applied for on line, but there is about a ten-day delay before delivery.

Yes mine expires next Month, I had forgotten all about it.

Renewed online with no problems.

On Moderation
Do I really have to answer this? There is a one in 1700 chance I have CV. When, hopefully, I go to Spain at the end of July, the probability will be even less. I will be temperature tested at the airport. I will spend at least €2000. Multiply this by the large number of people who prefer Marbella to Mablethorpe... I know what I’d prefer if I were the Spanish government.

Considering the lockdown that Spain has endured over the last few months, I wasn't certain.

Just done a google search, and yes, it appears that Spain are hinting that UK tourists can visit without quarantine, but I believe that this is recripical on the UK doing the same.
Same source (the Grauniad) say that approx 12% of Spanish economy is based on tourism, with UK accounting for 20% of visitors.

Maybe things are looking up.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Considering the lockdown that Spain has endured over the last few months, I wasn't certain.

Just done a google search, and yes, it appears that Spain are hinting that UK tourists can visit without quarantine, but I believe that this is recripical on the UK doing the same....
People returning from Spain in July will not be in quarantine, I am 99% certain of it.

Countries all over are tightening (or have tightended) their borders to reduce the risk of importing infection....
That's odd, as I was of the understanding that European countries are now relaxing their border restrictions....

On Moderation
That's odd, as I was of the understanding that European countries are now relaxing their border restrictions....

Poorly worded. Incorrect tense. Yes, there are countries that feel that they have situation under control and are now slowly relaxing things.
(Rather than editing the original comment)

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Oooh Marbella. Where I hopefully plan to go in Spain for my Summer holiday this year in August, if everything goes well.

adc82140

Established Member
According to the Daily Mail (yes I know) there are air bridge discussions with Portugal, Spain and France. This will hopefully be good for the ferry industry/Eurotunnel as well. Wouldn't at all surprise me if there was an agreement with the whole Schengen bloc before July.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Question is, will they quarantine Nigel Farage when he gets back from the USA?
I hope they do (same rules as anybody else).
Not quite a Cummings/Bishop Auckland situation, but close.

adc82140

Established Member
There should be special arrangements for Farage. Something like 14 months quarantine.

Chester1

Established Member
According to the Daily Mail (yes I know) there are air bridge discussions with Portugal, Spain and France. This will hopefully be good for the ferry industry/Eurotunnel as well. Wouldn't at all surprise me if there was an agreement with the whole Schengen bloc before July.

I doubt it because a Schengen deal would require all members agreeing and some won't yet. The UK infection rate is relatively high and not all are broke and desperate for British tourists. France would likely be towards end of July while Spain, Portugal and Greece are more likely to be 4th July to match reopening of English tourism. Some countries want to hold on a couple of extra weeks to balance safety with getting British families money during the school holidays.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This is a private company initiative, not anything "official", so presumably aimed at making a profit from those that are willing to pay. Some, such as those making essential business trips, will see £140 to exempt them from 14 days quarantine as a good deal (always assuming the result is negative... and officially recognised).
£10 / day to avoid being bored out of your mind sounds like good value for money; for those with plenty spare cash, obviously.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
£10 / day to avoid being bored out of your mind sounds like good value for money; for those with plenty spare cash, obviously.

I think £140 is steep but it is the only way I would presently consider taking a foreign trip. No way am I happy to be locked up for 14 days - indeed the risk of this is making me be more careful about COVID generally than I would be about the risk of catching it alone!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I currently have colleagues in quarantine in another country who are getting ready to embark on a major project. Although they can work from "home" in quarantine, I'm sure if this sort of option was available to get personal meetings moving more quickly then the company would agree it in a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.