• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

March 2014 Modern Railways below standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Is it me, or is the March Modern Railways distinctly below standard?

Apart from some interest in the first few pages about the length of Crossrail EMUs; the likelihood of Electrostars for the Great Western; and the depressing news that the DfT is trying to cut funding for both Northern & FTPE franchises (did they learn NOTHING from last time's "no growth" award?) I discovered very little.

The main body of the magazine had no article in it that was worth reading.

And that was it, apart from a couple of good pics of work to extend the down relief line north of Oxford; the new platform at Gatwick Airport; and the always excellent Alan Williams.

Yet there's so much good stuff going on out there: I would have liked to have seen something on the construction of new curves at Bicester & Todmodern; electrification progress in the North West, Scotland, and on the GW; progress on the raft of new stations in the pipeline; modernisation of the Tyne & Wear Metro; clearing up the storm damage on the Cambrian Coast Line; latest news of the Waverley route project; what happens next on KNUCKLE & extension of Metropolitan Line to Watford Jcn.; Nottingham station refurbishment. Nothing. Not even a picture.

I have been buying Modern Railways since the mid-70s and it is always eagerly awaited; but this month was deeply disappointing and within 40 minutes was in the recycling bin.

I know this is only subjective, but I do hope it has more in it next month.

What do others think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
I'm slightly surprised and disappointed that 408 people (and counting) have read my original post, but there have been no replies; I thought this was forum for discussion......

Anyway, April's Modern Railways has just dropped through my letter box, and I'm very glad to say it's excellent: absolutely packed full of interesting articles - highly recommended!

Good to see a return to form.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Even if all the viewers of your post read MR, many like me haven't got it yet because we buy it each month...

I might let you know what I think over the weekend!

Bill EWS

I was an avid reader of Modern Railway from the mid 60's (before it changed it's name to MR) and was an avid reader. I stopped buying railway magazines of any sort when the prices became too much. However, I always had a sneak preview of Modern Railays every now and again and it appeared to be it's useal high standard until quite recently where I glanced through the pages in the shop and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't haved like to be paying for it any more. As Dave put it, the only thing worth reading was the great Alun Wiliams. Shame really as it was a great magazine. However, times have changed and there are so many internet railway sites that can present comments and photos almost to the day of prduction and magazines such as MR can't match that sort of deadline. However, there is no need for poor railway coverage and they really should get more out and about news and photos into their publications. It's still a great quality magazine, photograph wise.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I was an avid reader of Modern Railway from the mid 60's (before it changed it's name to MR) and was an avid reader. I stopped buying railway magazines of any sort when the prices became too much. However, I always had a sneak preview of Modern Railays every now and again and it appeared to be it's useal high standard until quite recently where I glanced through the pages in the shop and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't haved like to be paying for it any more. As Dave put it, the only thing worth reading was the great Alun Wiliams. Shame really as it was a great magazine. However, times have changed and there are so many internet railway sites that can present comments and photos almost to the day of prduction and magazines such as MR can't match that sort of deadline. However, there is no need for poor railway coverage and they really should get more out and about news and photos into their publications. It's still a great quality magazine, photograph wise.

I stopped buying Modern Railways some time ago as it seemed to have become too technical for me. In fact, I was forming an opinion that it had become more like an official industry publication than something for someone with a general interest in railways. Prior to this I had read the magazine almost continually since 1985.

I think that magazines now need to focus more on analysis and features, as their news sections will inevitably be out of date compared to internet sites.

At the moment, I think that Today's Railways has the right sort of balance, and to me it seems to be mroe the type of magazine that Modern Railways used to be in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Status
Not open for further replies.