• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marches Line Closed (10/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
ATW don't have enough stock to eliminate two car workings, even when there are events at the Millennium Stadium. The best that can be done is to try and put three cars on to the very busiest services wherever possible.

Maybe the three car early service from Hereford was a result of switching things around that day for the Grand National? I don't know enough about the diagramming to be able to say one way or the other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
We seem to have changed the topic to ATW Overcrowding here. There is an ATW Questions thread.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ATW don't have enough stock to eliminate two car workings, even when there are events at the Millennium Stadium. The best that can be done is to try and put three cars on to the very busiest services wherever possible.

Maybe the three car early service from Hereford was a result of switching things around that day for the Grand National? I don't know enough about the diagramming to be able to say one way or the other.

Booked 3 Car. This may have been lightly loaded but the return working is a notoriously busy train.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I was returning from Sheffield to Newport via Stockport that evening, and got caught up in this.

The first leg was okay, but as the Carmarthen train was approaching Stockport, the destination on the screen suddenly changed to Shrewsbury! I asked one of the platform staff what was happening, and he asked one of his colleagues on his radio, but neither of them knew. The announcement said "the next train is for Carmarthen", so I was advised to get on, which I did.

Something like the same thing had happened at Wilmslow and the other stations before Crewe, as I heard at least one conversation arranging (or trying to arrange) personal transport from Shrewsbury. When the conductor came around the train just before Crewe, I asked him what was happening, and he promised to find out.

When we left Crewe, he made an announcement that the line was closed between Shrewsbury and Hereford because of a signal failure. There would be some alternative transport between these two stations, but none to destinations after Hereford. Passengers travelling beyond Hereford were advised to go to Birmingham and down to Newport.

I'd have to say that the conductor was very good. I asked him for the times and he said I'll print them out for you, which was very helpful. I had a 50 minute wait at Shrewsbury before the train to Birmingham (filled by two very welcome pints in the pub opposite the station!) and then I had to change at Cheltenham Spa as well.

Instead of getting home at about 9.45pm, I got home just after midnight .... ho, hum! Still, at least I did get home .... I'd hate to think what happened to people travelling beyond Cardiff!

SIGGY56

What a cheeky remark. Of course, I know Onibury is South of Craven Arms. This was merely to clarify any possible uncertaintainty because trains were suspended between Shrewsbury and Hereford and just to confirm that this did not refer to HOWL trains. Trains from the North would not be turned round at Craven Arms.

The problem is nowadays most of the boxes in the area only work 12 hour shifts and 12 hour rest between shifts. Once your 12 hour shift has come to an end and no relief turns up you then close the signalbox. I work as a 12 hour relief and I know that it does cause problems if anyone goes sick few hours before and no other alternative to work the shift. A MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) can work a box in an emergency until they can find a relief signaller to work the box, BUT... a MOM at the time could well be attending to an emergency maybe 50 miles or so away from the signalbox that needs to be manned. So things to consider there as well !

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Well said siggy.
In the 7 years I've worked this line I have only known this happen once before, and that was during the snow the other year when my relief couldn't get to work and there was no-one else available. I worked an extra hour to see if someone could get to me, but eventually had to close and find a hotel (I couldn't get home!)
I think the box was reopened another hour later when a MOM with a 4x4 got through.

Envoy

Established Member
I was returning from Sheffield to Newport via Stockport that evening, and got caught up in this.

The first leg was okay, but as the Carmarthen train was approaching Stockport, the destination on the screen suddenly changed to Shrewsbury! I asked one of the platform staff what was happening, and he asked one of his colleagues on his radio, but neither of them knew. The announcement said "the next train is for Carmarthen", so I was advised to get on, which I did.

Something like the same thing had happened at Wilmslow and the other stations before Crewe, as I heard at least one conversation arranging (or trying to arrange) personal transport from Shrewsbury. When the conductor came around the train just before Crewe, I asked him what was happening, and he promised to find out.

When we left Crewe, he made an announcement that the line was closed between Shrewsbury and Hereford because of a signal failure. There would be some alternative transport between these two stations, but none to destinations after Hereford. Passengers travelling beyond Hereford were advised to go to Birmingham and down to Newport.

I'd have to say that the conductor was very good. I asked him for the times and he said I'll print them out for you, which was very helpful. I had a 50 minute wait at Shrewsbury before the train to Birmingham (filled by two very welcome pints in the pub opposite the station!) and then I had to change at Cheltenham Spa as well.

Instead of getting home at about 9.45pm, I got home just after midnight .... ho, hum! Still, at least I did get home .... I'd hate to think what happened to people travelling beyond Cardiff!

If the destination on the front of the train had changed to 'Shrewsbury' by the time it had reached Stockport, then clearly they knew full well that the train would not be progressing to south Wales. Surely, you should have been informed BEFORE Crewe that this was indeed the case so that you & others for Newport (& beyond) could have gone direct from Crewe to Birmingham & hence to south Wales. It is appalling that you were kept on that train to be sent the long way to Birmingham via Shrewsbury.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As far as I recall, the train destination sign still showed Carmarthen when the train arrived.

The station destination sign initially showed Carmarthen and then changed to Shrewsbury as the train was approaching.

I grant you that the long detour wasn't very pleasant, but once we knew what was happening, everything went pretty well.

craigybagel

Established Member
Fwiw the train destination screen won't have been changed even if the traincrew would have known what was going on - the system on atw units doesn't work that way. Most likely it would have been switched off completely.

I won't go into the reasons why the disruption happened that night but suffice to say it was very last minute and could not have been predicted by anyone.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Fwiw the train destination screen won't have been changed even if the traincrew would have known what was going on - the system on atw units doesn't work that way. Most likely it would have been switched off completely.

I won't go into the reasons why the disruption happened that night but suffice to say it was very last minute and could not have been predicted by anyone.

Thank you for this explanation, which I understand.

As I have said, it was a pain to have to go the long way around, but once the journey actually started, it went okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.