• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Market Harborough Station Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the subway will still be in use after the remodelling so people can go from the station building ticket office through the subway and up onto the Southbound platform. The subway exit is still in line with the new Southbound platform alignment. That would also be a lot quicker than having to go up on Platform 1 and over the new footbridge to platform 2.
Certainly the pictures in post#66, from NR, show the shelter over the subway steps still on the end of platform 2.

The planning drawings show the south end of the up platform widens slightly to match the existing subway stairs.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but the drawings can be found on Market Harborough’s planning website under reference: 17/00988/PDN
“Layout 1 of 2” is the relevant drawing, extract below:

View attachment 62780
Thanks to both for the clarification.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
The Northbound platform waiting room is now clad and the lamp posts have wires inside. Platforms are awaiting the top surface tarmac.
DSCF6613.JPG DSCF6614.JPG

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Earlier in this thread someone wondered if the design included electrification foundations, and I noticed (when looking at the planning drawings again earlier today) that the gantry positions were all marked, and all the mast foundation positions were behind the platforms. There is also a ground level autotransformer feeder cable trunking route shown alongside the back of the up platform.

59CosG95

Established Member
Earlier in this thread someone wondered if the design included electrification foundations, and I noticed (when looking at the planning drawings again earlier today) that the gantry positions were all marked, and all the mast foundation positions were behind the platforms. There is also a ground level autotransformer feeder cable trunking route shown alongside the back of the up platform.
Very interesting indeed - do you know where the drawings can be found?

Flying Phil

Established Member
The Great Bowden road overbridge is just being finished off - and there are now big white coping stone cappings all along on the blue bricks so no views.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The two new platforms have now had tarmac top layer over most of their length. The new footbridge is having the lower half brick "cladding" installed. The Passenger Information Signs are working nicely and there are track panels ready for laying at the South end of the new platforms. Most of the platform railings are in place. There will be a 25mph TSR on the new bend formation to the North of the platforms - presumably until the ballast has bedded in? There are quite a few diggers etc on the East side of the old platforms ready to dig up the platforms when the shut down occurs. The last day of services through the "S" bend will be on Monday.
The track-side scaffolding on the Bromham road bridge is being taken down today, but the road side work is not quite finished.DSCF6654.JPG DSCF6666.JPG

jfowkes

Do we know the "schedule" for the shutdown? As it, what will be happening and when?

DanDaDriver

Probably it has to be filled in before the platforms are extended over it, and obviously it's needed for platform access until the start of the blockade so that work can't start until then. Presuming there isn't enough time within the blockade itself to do this, it will then have to be finished during non-traffic hours so will take a long longer than the work that's been done so far.

A notice has gone up over that last week saying that they have to demolish the existing platforms before they can finish the new platform work. Expected to be late 2019.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Do we know the "schedule" for the shutdown? As it, what will be happening and when?

At a guess!!?? They will be removing the existing track through the old "S" bend and removing the ballast (Tue/Wed). Then remove the old platforms from the South end first (Wed onwards). New platforms extended to the South(Wed/Thursday) and new track installed(Thursday Friday Sat). Slight realignment to suit new layout(Sat/Sun). Track joined at the North to the existing main line (Wed/ Thur/Fri). There are supposed to be "Big" cranes involved at some stage.......I think the line will be open on on the new alignment on Monday June 3rd.
I will try to photograph as they proceed, but I don't know where access will be possible....

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I suspect the down platform is already almost its finished length, extending the new platforms must mainly affect the up platform, and that will be by far the majority of the platform work. In the finished state the platform ends aren’t aligned with each other across the tracks, but with the existing down platform ramp and up platform subway stairs...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
At a guess!!?? They will be removing the existing track through the old "S" bend and removing the ballast (Tue/Wed). Then remove the old platforms from the South end first (Wed onwards). New platforms extended to the South(Wed/Thursday) and new track installed(Thursday Friday Sat). Slight realignment to suit new layout(Sat/Sun). Track joined at the North to the existing main line (Wed/ Thur/Fri). There are supposed to be "Big" cranes involved at some stage.......I think the line will be open on on the new alignment on Monday June 3rd.
I will try to photograph as they proceed, but I don't know where access will be possible....

I don’t have the schedule, but track out / platform demo is a very quick exercise; I’d be surprised if it was more than 24 hours. As soon as the track is out at the south end, the demo will begin right behind it. As soon as all the old track is out, the realignments will be done to get engineering trains on to the new track. The platform construction will be the bit that takes the time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking at the planning drawing extract I posted earlier (in post #300), would it have been feasible to extend the foundations for the new down platform into the curved area between the platform building and the existing platform edge, undercover of a temporary deck? Or would this have not saved any significant time...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looking at the planning drawing extract I posted earlier (in post #300), would it have been feasible to extend the foundations for the new down platform into the curved area between the platform building and the existing platform edge, undercover of a temporary deck? Or would this have not saved any significant time...
It would have involved disrupting the existing platform and also working in proximity to the line. So far almost all of the work has been in a "non-railway" environment and that may be what the contractors were geared up for. Perhaps they would have done this if it had allowed the platform to be finished during the blockade, but from posts above they will have some work still to do afterwards (which will have to be in proximity to the line) so they might as well include that bit then.

Flying Phil

Established Member
DSCF6665.JPG As Edwin has said - all the work so far has been done in a "Non-railway" environment - in fact largely behind these wooden panels - fortunately I am able to hold my camera just above the top edge!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
View attachment 63601 As Edwin has said - all the work so far has been done in a "Non-railway" environment - in fact largely behind these wooden panels - fortunately I am able to hold my camera just above the top edge!
Thanks for that picture, clarifies the relative positions well. So they are working alongside that waiting room, but not where the walking route is. Only a matter of a few metres to come further south, possibly 5 or 6? So just a few pre-cast sections and an end wall likely? I wonder if that blue line on the tarmac will become significant in the next few days...

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
This is the view to the South from just about those blue lines.DSCF6645.JPG
Effectively all of this section of the Northbound platform will be removed over the next 6 days.

Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Blockade now on - don't forget to check your trains before you travel, even if you're *not* going to or from London or through the Corby diversion (e.g. Nottingham to Beeston on the London service is now at xx:45 rather than xx:12, and HST rather than Meridian, so travel in the front 5 coaches!).

Local Leicester to Lincoln services also appear to be *slightly* tweaked.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
The southbound fast Sheffields (via Syston N curve) seem to be running a bit late today from Syston to Kettering, then massively early due to schedule padding.
Northbound, there seems to be a fair bit of lateness accumulating around Melton Mowbray.
I'm on the 0825 from Sheffield tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
And they have been cracking on with the "Big Crane".....The tracks through the station have been lifted, the South end of the old platforms demolished and the spoil is being removed.DSCF6691.JPG DSCF6693.JPG DSCF6694.JPG

Last edited:

38Cto15E

Thanks for all of your updates on this upgrade and superb images FlyingPhil.
It is difficult to say if I am correct but the contractors seem to have been pretty good all the way through this job.

g22

Just wanted to add thanks to Flying Phil for all the updates/pictures throughout this work.

InTheEastMids

Thanks for all of your updates on this upgrade and superb images FlyingPhil.
It is difficult to say if I am correct but the contractors seem to have been pretty good all the way through this job.

Indeed, the only delay send to have been caused by the failure of Carillon, who were the original contractors for the job

Flying Phil

Established Member
Today we have our first (?) train on the new line!DSCF6703.JPG
The Northbound line is connected and the old Northbound is being re-aligned to form the new Southbound.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Meanwhile, at the station, the foundation work for the South end of the platforms is proceeding quickly.DSCF6706.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.