• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marsh Barton Railway Station Exeter - Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael74

Chances are it will be a down in service train that will get a special stop order, local door release only, VIPs bail out. Ceremony and repeat in reverse on the up.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Thank you. Looks like all Paignton-Exmouth trains will be stopping?
Between Exeter and Newton Abbott, some are all stoppers and some are semi fast, I think only the all stoppers will stop (at least during off peak)

Snow1964

Established Member

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just thinking, this gives Exeter nine stations - St Davids, Central, St James' Park, Pinhoe, Digby & Sowton, St Thomas, Polesole Bridge, Newcourt, and now Marsh Barton. Not bad for what is a relatively small city!
You could argue ten, since Topsham technically is within the city boundary. It’s quite an impressive statistic regardless, but we should be aiming to achieve this elsewhere, rather than Exeter being the exception to the trend.

REVUpminster

You could argue ten, since Topsham technically is within the city boundary. It’s quite an impressive statistic regardless, but we should be aiming to achieve this elsewhere, rather than Exeter being the exception to the trend.
Topsham is certainly in Exeter and let's not forget Monkerton amongst a lot of houses..Devon Metro Map.JPG

geoffk

Established Member
I called in at Marsh Barton earlier today. There were a few passengers about as well as those coming to look. No car parking there except for three or four disabled spaces, similar to Newcourt and no doubt others around the network (Cross Keys on the Ebbw Vale line is another). A wet day so not many visiting the country park....

Does anyone know the purpose of the walkway between the up platform and the energy recovery centre/incinerator (off camera on the right in my photo)? It can be seen between the yellow railings. The walkway leads back to the platform at the far end and there are locked gates at both ends.

Attachments

• MBTwalkway.jpg
    MBTwalkway.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the purpose of the walkway between the up platform and the energy recovery centre/incinerator (off camera on the right in my photo)? It can be seen between the yellow railings. The walkway leads back to the platform at the far end and there are locked gates at both ends.
It’s the latest interpretation of the rules for fire escape routes, you can see similar walkways dedicated to escape at various other recent stations, Reading Green Park is a good example, but they were also provided a few years ago at the rebuilt Market Harborough, and IIRC at Horden on the Durham coast line.

geoffk

Established Member
It’s the latest interpretation of the rules for fire escape routes, you can see similar walkways dedicated to escape at various other recent stations, Reading Green Park is a good example, but they were also provided a few years ago at the rebuilt Market Harborough, and IIRC at Horden on the Durham coast line.
No wonder stations cost so much. Presumably the ORR makes these rules and cost is no object. How far should we go spending money on things which will probably never be used? The Govt is telling us that railways cost too much. OK getting off the subject now!

standish1

Assuming the vdeo shows the first train of the day. That would be 05.37 with units 150239/150246. Anybody confirm this information?

83G/84D

Established Member
The station doesn't YET appear on the open train times site on the maps at least. Can anyone say what signals are located nearby in relation to the map?

AdamWW

Established Member
I noticed this tweet showing the gap between the train and the platform. Seems to be very wide considering 150's would be using it mainly?

I was a bit surprised at that tweet.

They seem to be suggesting that the platform should have been built up to the height of a 150 door step. I thought that you couldn't generally do that due to the UK structure gauge (hence only on Heathrow Express and Crossrail where only limited types of train have to be catered for).

And in any case, it wouldn't be much use with a low floor train designed to work with almost every other platform in the UK.

But ASLEF ought to know what they're talking about.

The exile

Established Member
I was a bit surprised at that tweet.

They seem to be suggesting that the platform should have been built up to the height of a 150 door step. I thought that you couldn't generally do that due to the UK structure gauge (hence only on Heathrow Express and Crossrail where only limited types of train have to be catered for).

And in any case, it wouldn't be much use with a low floor train designed to work with almost every other platform in the UK.

But ASLEF ought to know what they're talking about.
Presumably built to the new standards - now just waiting for the trains built accordingly. Thing is, having one before the other is inevitable.

AdamWW

Established Member
Presumably built to the new standards - now just waiting for the trains built accordingly. Thing is, having one before the other is inevitable.

Indeed but I also thought that you couldn't raise platforms to that height without either having a large horizontal gap or enroaching into the structure gauge.

If that's all it takes I'd have though it would be cheaper and more useful just to have a programme of raising platforms rather than buying fleets of low floor trains.

davetheguard

Established Member
Just got back from Marsh Barton. Lunch at the Double Locks nearby Youngs pub beside, as the name suggests, the Exeter canal.

If anyone else wants to visit, it's about a ten minute walk from the station: head east from the station away from the industrial estate. Once the lane crosses the canal, turn right along the cycle path/footpath and just follow it until you arrive at the pub. About half a mile. Beers from Devon brewery Hanlons as well as Youngs. Fish & chips was good!

I agree with geoffk about the emergency exit ramps off the up platform looking like a complete waste of money - they don't lead anywhere, yet alone a safe place. Bizarre.

People on & off both trains we used despite this afternoon's rain. A welcome addition to Devon's rail network.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thanks Mark.
No problem, but please note that neither of those two signals is on (or in the case of E31,
even visible from) the platforms at Marsh Barton.

To get the location of the new station correct on my Realtime Map, I used this 'drivers eye view' video,
which I have linked to start from the point where the train is approaching the rear of signal E31:

As you can see, E31 is a considerable distance away from Marsh Barton!

MARK

Xavi

Just thinking, this gives Exeter nine stations - St Davids, Central, St James' Park, Pinhoe, Digby & Sowton, St Thomas, Polesole Bridge, Newcourt, and now Marsh Barton. Not bad for what is a relatively small city!
Agreed, Exeter has a very good network of stations and has a travel to work population of over 470,000 (about 100,000 higher than Devon’s other city) which is a better indicator of a city’s economic standing and demand for public transport than the population within its authority boundary.

railfan99

Established Member
Digby was a bit of a slow starter when first opened but is now one of the busiest stations on the branch with both inward and outbound traffic. As well as workers, Digby now also benefits from a lot of new housing which Marsh Barton lacks. I hope it will have the success Digby has.

Yes, 780 boardings and the same number of passengers alighting each day (on a 365-day per annum basis) is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.