• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale line suspension over - FULL services start running 19/02/24

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 150 looks smarter (and newer!) than the adjacent 700, to be fair. Have they been repainted or just wrapped?

150s (and for that matter 507/508s) are pretty timeless, to be honest - it's hard to believe they're 40 years old now. When the Class 101s were 40 years old they *really* looked dated.

Oddly some newer Mk3 derived units like 319s and 321s to me look much more dated because of the attempt to style the nose a bit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silverlinky

Wheelset replacement, tyre turning and other repairs. 139 went last week as it had the worst wheelsets. 137 went yesterday for tyre turning and repairs to/replacement of a damaged suspension airbag following its argument with a Mercedes. 141 also scheduled to pay a visit for attention to its wheels, I think that is why there is a further slight delay to the start of service as there are return moves taking place on 11/12 November.

LowLevel

Established Member
Maintenance? When the previous batch of 150s worked the line they were Tyseley based and were switched to Bletchley at weekends
I believe this time they're going to be using the in house maintenance facilities at Bletchley with the option available to use Tyseley for heavy work. The lime green attire of the driver suggests they're working for Rail Adventure on hire in rather than being WMR in house staff, presumably there's no longer anyone in house who signs both 150s and Tyseley.

DelW

Established Member
Maintenance? When the previous batch of 150s worked the line they were Tyseley based and were switched to Bletchley at weekends
With respect, the post previous to yours provided a detailed answer to the question ;)

Silverlinky

I'm hearing a further slight delay to the reintroduction of train services, this will now take place on Monday 20th November. 150141 wheelset change has been delayed due to the replacement wheelsets themselves being delayed. This means the unit will not return to Bletchley until 16th November. LNR reluctant to put even the interim service in without a spare unit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LNR have confirmed that the interim service will start on Monday 20th November.

From Facebook:

We are pleased to be able to confirm that train services will return to our #MarstonVale line from Monday 20th November. This follows the delivery of our class 150 trains, which we have shared previously, as well as the the subsequent training for our Bletchley based maintenance and traincrew teams on how to safely operate this fleet.
Initially a weekday commuter service will resume, based on the number of our driver and senior conductor colleagues who now have the required licences, with a full timetable expected to begin early in the new year as more crews undertake the necessary unit specific training.
We really do appreciate the patience of local communities on the route and are committed to restoring your local train service. We have been working closely with the Marston Vale Community Rail Partnership over the last year and will continue to moving forward to ensure that the community view is taken into account in decision making and in how we work to regain passengers' trust and celebrate travel on the rural route in the coming months.
Fore more details about today's announcement and a summary of the key activities that have taken place behind the scenes to prepare for this, please click here >> https://orlo.uk/mBxHQ

(If you look at the pictures, spot the useless wheelchair ramp, unless they like stranding people on the liftless Bletchley P6! :) )

Haywain

Veteran Member
It has just been stated on local radio that the interim service will commence on Monday 20th November (this year!).

MML

And let us not forget, this is merely the return of a Class 150 fleet to the line. They first operated these services in 1999. But the new coat of paint obviously makes all the difference.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
And let us not forget, this is merely the return of a Class 150 fleet to the line. They first operated these services in 1999. But the new coat of paint obviously makes all the difference.
as users we didn't want rid of the last lot of 150's! The 153's were rotten mind!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
First trains run today: more LNWR suits and high viz than passengers, local media crew, 1 passenger at my station, slight delays due to track condition.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
First trains run today: more LNWR suits and high viz than passengers, local media crew, 1 passenger at my station, slight delays due to track condition.

It's been off for so long that it might as well be seen as a new route. Typically takes 3-5 years from service start to establish loadings, at least with new bus routes (that's been the pattern here in Milton Keynes as it has grown).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's been off for so long that it might as well be seen as a new route. Typically takes 3-5 years from service start to establish loadings, at least with new bus routes (that's been the pattern here in Milton Keynes as it has grown).
absolutely - got to get the word out that the trains are running and get a date when a proper service starts.

ExRes

Established Member
Time for the thread title to be amended? I'm wondering if any major effort has been made to let the travelling public know that the service has restarted, it seems an obvious thing to do but .......

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Time for the thread title to be amended? I'm wondering if any major effort has been made to let the travelling public know that the service has restarted, it seems an obvious thing to do but .......

Probably does make sense for it to be a very quiet "soft launch" until a reliable service is established, just in case there are any faults with the 150s that need to be rectified.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it is certainly a soft launch - to the extent that one of the former users I bumped into this morning didn't know! There has been media coverage this morning that might help.

PS can I amend the thread title?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
it is certainly a soft launch - to the extent that one of the former users I bumped into this morning didn't know! There has been media coverage this morning that might help.

PS can I amend the thread title?
If you choose the edit option and are the thread creator then yes

Magdalia

Established Member
I'm wondering if any major effort has been made to let the travelling public know
It was on the BBC News website see here:

Trains on a route that has been suspended for nearly a year will be back in action from 20 November.

The Marston Vale Line, which has 12 stations between Bedford and Bletchley, has been suspended for 11 months.

Buses replaced trains after the maintenance provider, Vivarail, went into administration.

Morning and afternoon peak services on Monday to Friday will be running, with buses still operating at other times.

twpsaesneg

It's not like the line has seen zero use since passenger trains were suspended, there are still regular freight and ECS movements over the branch.
Yes; I'm fully aware of this, but it's still a bit rubbish for the first passenger services in such a long time to be delayed by track condition. It gives the impression to the long-suffering users of the line that "the railway" just don't care.

I say this as a railwayman with over 20 years' service, I'm just a bit embarrassed by own goals like this.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If only there had been some opportunity recently to fettle the track...
It's the leaf fall season - minor delays due to "track conditions" are commonplace. Fallen leaves can't be "fettled" out of the way.