• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale line suspension over - FULL services start running 19/02/24

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be at all surprised!

I think if it LNWR branding, it'd be fine. They'd just be happy to see an actual train turn up!

This is all totally a moot point. It's obviously not branding that will stop the units coming into service but crew familiarisation.
As users we just want a train. I would rather the time spent painting the units was spent training thre crews and getting a service running. It might only be a few days but it is a few days longer that we as users have to wait for our train.

We have had the best part of 4 years crap service and we are fed up. I don't care what colour the train is. I just want a train.

Also despite all the lovely paint talk there is no date for our service to restart...............

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
As users we just want a train. I would rather the time spent painting the units was spent training thre crews and getting a service running. It might only be a few days but it is a few days longer that we as users have to wait for our train.

We have had the best part of 4 years crap service and we are fed up. I don't care what colour the train is. I just want a train.

Also despite all the lovely paint talk there is no date for our service to restart...............
Waiting for the paint to dry. Can't go out in service with wet paint, little Johnny might smudge it or get paint on his hands.

On Moderation

Presumably only one set at a time will be stopped for re-livery, so crew training can carry in with the other two.

Given all the histrionic criticism of the 230s, I don’t have much sympathy for the lack of service.

D365

Veteran Member
Great they are being painted nicely. As one of the plebs wanting to use the bloody service can you not just stick some stickers on and get the things running ASAP?

FFS - priorities here lads! July to "Autumn" to get service running.
The first I learned of the Northern Class 150s to LNWR, was this headline concerning the prospective livery. Ridiculous.

What gets me is how RailAdvent signs off the article by asking for thoughts on the livery! Are they trying to stir the pot?!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Given all the histrionic criticism of the 230s, I don’t have much sympathy for the lack of service.
That's a bit harsh. 'You complain about your trains too much, you don't deserve any service at all.'
Best in mind before the 230s the MV had level crossing issues that stopped the service and when the 230s were first introduced complaints about reliability were very merited.
Most of the histrionics seems to have been from the press and enthusiasts tbh, although I've not studied the discourse closely.
What gets me is how RailAdvent signs off the article by asking for thoughts on the livery! Are they trying to stir the pot?!
more likely is just that's what their readership will engage in, and they need engagement for revenue.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's a bit harsh. 'You complain about your trains too much, you don't deserve any service at all.'
Some trains deserve complaining about, especially when you consider the extremely poor reputation the Class 230 units fostered on the Marston Vale line in their time on there. I just cannot believe what you wrote at the end of the posting above.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some trains deserve complaining about, especially when you consider the extremely poor reputation the Class 230 units fostered on the Marston Vale line in their time on there. I just cannot believe what you wrote at the end of the posting above.

The MV has been treated terribly ever since Silverlink days. First it was a 150 and a 153 with the latter having a bad habit of sitting down and it taking 3 round trips' worth of time to get another one from Tyseley rather than keep one at Bletchley, then the 230 debacle (though towards the end a spare was kept at BLY). One hopes this will be a period of settling down.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am not sure that is fair. My complaints are based on being one of the few people here with actual experiance of using the trains on a daily basis rather than consuming the PR. I became somewhat unhappy at being told by people what wonderful trains I had when I was walking home in the rain again.

My biggest frustration, however, is not the reliability of the units per se but the loss of opportunity. The arrival of the 230's was a time of promise, the trains offered a much nicer passenger environment than the 150/153 they replaced, had much better facilities and were much more accessible. Passenger numbers were climbing ( despite what the official figures might show) and goodwill was at the highest I have ever seen it, PR was fantastic and people had even stopped laughing when you said used that line to get to work!

All that flushed away to the extent that I am unsure how many passengers will return. I worry that it might be back to me having Fenny Stratford as my private station like it was when i first started using the line 12/13 years ago.

We have had at least 4 years of poor, reduced or zero service. To be fair, the 230's had improved thier reliability to the extent that they were simply poor rather than awful but it was to little to late for many users who had already switched to other modes.

The last train ran on this line on 1st of December 2022. It is disgrace that the next service will be "autumn" 2023. If that is histrionic so be it.

zwk500

Veteran Member
All that flushed away to the extent that I am unsure how many passengers will return.
I personally think what there is now will be the norm until EWR starts to deliver on the MV in earnest. As you say, so many opportunities missed to grow the line.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I personally think what there is now will be the norm until EWR starts to deliver on the MV in earnest. As you say, so many opportunities missed to grow the line.
Agreed - get back to running a reliable service with a reliable unit. The timetable needs to be a promise rather than a suggestion as to the earliest point a train might arrive!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

What a nonsensical statement. The 230s were criticised because they were wheeled scrap. They have so many problems that they have during the period of their tenure utterly destroyed the service from day one of implementation (even my very first ride terminated at Ridgmont, though the nice gateline staff at BLY allowed me a free ride when I said I was going just to ride it and didn't know what ticket to buy as I didn't know how far it'd get).

I was in favour of them until they utterly destroyed the line's service. I still think it's a shame they didn't work, but the fact is they didn't, and TfW are now having problems with theirs as if to prove the point further (though they have more options to use other stock e.g. 197s or to PRM a few more 153s because they don't have platform constraints in the same way, and the Welsh Government is not as stingy as DfT with funding).

I get that you do like to support the railway's line on things, which is fair enough, but in this case the situation cannot be defended. It can only be hoped that the 150s bed in nicely and allow a period of consolidation and recovery for the line.

My biggest frustration, however, is not the reliability of the units per se but the loss of opportunity. The arrival of the 230's was a time of promise, the trains offered a much nicer passenger environment than the 150/153 they replaced, had much better facilities and were much more accessible. Passenger numbers were climbing ( despite what the official figures might show) and goodwill was at the highest I have ever seen it, PR was fantastic and people had even stopped laughing when you said used that line to get to work!

This of course was a flaw in the 230s on its own. The doors were (and are on TfW's units) so slow that the only viable way to work them was from the back cab which has a narrower door that opens and closes more quickly. The outcome of that was that it was effectively a free service unless going to/from Bedford (the gates at Bletchley are not in use that often). TVMs were installed as a part-mitigation but most people didn't use them on the basis that they would get away with it because staff have long treated it as a "Paytrain" (using that actual term on occasions), and also because they are only on one side of the level crossing so people were reluctant to risk getting stuck by the barriers coming down.

With the line not interacting with much bar a bit of freight and long layovers I'm not entirely sure why they never just added 5 minutes to the running times, but it's been a problem throughout.

Last edited:

andythebrave

What a nonsensical statement. The 230s were criticised because they were wheeled scrap. They have so many problems that they have during the period of their tenure utterly destroyed the service from day one of implementation (even my very first ride terminated at Ridgmont, though the nice gateline staff at BLY allowed me a free ride when I said I was going just to ride it and didn't know what ticket to buy as I didn't know how far it'd get).

I was in favour of them until they utterly destroyed the line's service. I still think it's a shame they didn't work, but the fact is they didn't, and TfW are now having problems with theirs as if to prove the point further (though they have more options to use other stock e.g. 197s or to PRM a few more 153s because they don't have platform constraints in the same way, and the Welsh Government is not as stingy as DfT with funding).

I get that you do like to support the railway's line on things, which is fair enough, but in this case the situation cannot be defended. It can only be hoped that the 150s bed in nicely and allow a period of consolidation and recovery for the line.

This of course was a flaw in the 230s on its own. The doors were (and are on TfW's units) so slow that the only viable way to work them was from the back cab which has a narrower door that opens and closes more quickly. The outcome of that was that it was effectively a free service unless going to/from Bedford (the gates at Bletchley are not in use that often). TVMs were installed as a part-mitigation but most people didn't use them on the basis that they would get away with it because staff have long treated it as a "Paytrain" (using that actual term on occasions), and also because they are only on one side of the level crossing so people were reluctant to risk getting stuck by the barriers coming down.

With the line not interacting with much bar a bit of freight and long layovers I'm not entirely sure why they never just added 5 minutes to the running times, but it's been a problem throughout.
In the absence of a 'like' button, hear hear.

Jimini

Established Member
I saw one of the old 'D stock' trains parked up in the sidings at Reading yesterday, which I thought was a bit random.

It's been a while -- any further news on plans to reopen this line? I was idly considering visiting an old friend in Bedford the other day, hence the musing..

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw one of the old 'D stock' trains parked up in the sidings at Reading yesterday, which I thought was a bit random.

It's been a while -- any further news on plans to reopen this line? I was idly considering visiting an old friend in Bedford the other day, hence the musing..
Only comment so far from lnwr:

Peak hours service via 150's in "autumn" 2023

Full service - expected early 2024

The replacement bus service remains in place

nanstallon

Only comment so far from lnwr:

Peak hours service via 150's in "autumn" 2023

Full service - expected early 2024

The replacement bus service remains in place
This saga says all that needs to be said about the botched privatisation. Good (OK sometimes not so good) old BR, working as a national railway, would have simply brought in trains from somewhere else, upon the demise of the 230s, but under the present system there has been a load of nonsense about why they can't do this and they can't do that. Meanwhile, the public (who seem to matter very little) have no service - not just for a week or so, but for nearly a year and counting. Utterly pathetic.

Sorry, I'm not interested in excuses as to why we are in this state.

Anonymous10

Established Member
This saga says all that needs to be said about the botched privatisation. Good (OK sometimes not so good) old BR, working as a national railway, would have simply brought in trains from somewhere else, upon the demise of the 230s, but under the present system there has been a load of nonsense about why they can't do this and they can't do that. Meanwhile, the public (who seem to matter very little) have no service - not just for a week or so, but for nearly a year and counting. Utterly pathetic.

Sorry, I'm not interested in excuses as to why we are in this state.
To be fair training work would need to be carried our whether it was nationalised or not.

nanstallon

To be fair training work would need to be carried our whether it was nationalised or not.
Personally, I would have privatised BR, but as a single company - 'British Rail plc', and let it compete with air and road transport, but that is another subject! Either way, training staff to work 150s replacing 230s would hardly have taken this long; especially as 150s used to work the line anyway.

DelW

Established Member

Not that random, unless the Greenford battery trial has gone unnoticed.
As per this thread:
the ex Marston Vale units have been bought by GWR (at scrap value), potentially for conversion to battery units if the trial is successful. They are being / have been moved from Bletchley to Reading depot last week.

Jimini

Established Member
As per this thread:
the ex Marston Vale units have been bought by GWR (at scrap value), potentially for conversion to battery units if the trial is successful. They are being / have been moved from Bletchley to Reading depot last week.

Ah very useful, thanks for the info / link to the other thread! :D

Bogallan

Yes, the date of next Monday, 24th is confirmed in the internal "Yammer" WMT post by the Comms dept. They are looking for photographs of the train's arrival in Bletchley. No times given as yet though.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes, the date of next Monday, 24th is confirmed in the internal "Yammer" WMT post by the Comms dept. They are looking for photographs of the train's arrival in Bletchley. No times given as yet though.
Thanks. One step closer to actually running a train service on the line!

100andthirty

In normal times, it would seem incredible to celebrating the arrival of class 150 units on any line. It's a measure of how bad things have become on the Marston Vale line that there is reason for celebration.

geoffk

Established Member
According to reports they are 150137,,150139,150141
Are these trains surplus to Northern's requirements or will there be short-formations as a result, bearing in mind that TfW also has two units on hire)?