• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt LeBlanc and 4 others join Top Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarlSilva

<< Can we all genuinely say that we've never felt like someone at work needed a punch? >>
Difficult one. But doesn't it depend on teh context, the situation and what mood you're in ? I will confess I have felt like it, a lot of times in fact. But regardless of all that, just feeling like hitting someone doesn't make it alright to do it. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, like if someone starts on you, but there's not been a suggestion that's what happened with Clarkson and that producer.
It's still assault whether it's Clarkson hitting someone cos he didn't get a hot meal, or you and me doing it because we were in a bad mood and someone looked at us funny.
Anyway, back to the story. Yes, loved GT. Made the Chris Evans offering of Top Gear look like nothing much. Ironic, funny, shame etc that they 'killed' all those celebs though.

richw

Veteran Member
I do have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this series of Top Gear so far. More so than The Grand Tour!

Geezertronic

Established Member
Just as Fifth Gear was not Top Gear, the new series is not what Top Gear was. They'd have been better off renaming it to something else in my opinion. Saying that, looking past the cringeworthy at times links, the films are actually ok. This series is a vast improvement on last seasons and is one of the reasons why I no longer listen to Radio Two before 0930hrs :)

You still can't beat the three lads messing around though :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This series has been much better than the last one, it's still a little wooden at times but there's been some good moments.
I am glad Chris Evans has gone. I also can't listen to him on the radio.

pemma

Veteran Member
I wonder why they haven't dropped The Stig altogether? They now have Chris Harris 'training' the star rather than The Stig, while Sabine is just as good as The Stig (presuming she isn't The Stig ;)) Although, I suppose with 'The Stig' someone can stand in for them if the usual one is unavailable without it being obvious.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I wonder why they haven't dropped The Stig altogether? They now have Chris Harris 'training' the star rather than The Stig, while Sabine is just as good as The Stig (presuming she isn't The Stig ;)) Although, I suppose with 'The Stig' someone can stand in for them if the usual one is unavailable without it being obvious.

Probably because The Stig is a good marketing ploy and also to hide drivers where the car company insists one of their drivers takes the car round the track

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I wonder why they haven't dropped The Stig altogether?

Merchandise. Although having The Stig does still let them make jokes, like having the teenage Stigs driving the three hot hatches last week or having The Stig's Arabic cousin as the limousine driver.

They now have Chris Harris 'training' the star rather than The Stig, while Sabine is just as good as The Stig

Chris Harris really is no slouch either, tbf.

Chris Harris is definitely the standout on the new series, but I think Matt Le Blanc is really starting to get to grips with it, especially out on the road. He's even getting better at reading the autocue naturally.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Been very impressed with it so far. Watched every episode. Some cringey moments in it but there always will be, indeed there sometimes was in the old Top Gear.

The episodes have got better each week with it all starting to look more natural. Matt Le Blanc clearly knows his stuff about cars which is good, well at least more than any old celebrity.

I think this is the right way to take it forward for now, and i think it will get good ratings too without Mr Evans.

pemma

Veteran Member
Just as Fifth Gear was not Top Gear, the new series is not what Top Gear was. They'd have been better off renaming it to something else in my opinion.

Remember Top Gear was a car review show, then after it was dropped by the BBC the Top Gear name was adopted for a new car entertainment show. The only thing that remained was one of the presenters - Clarkson.

I also find it interesting some people claim Evans tried to copy Clarkson by doing sarcastic headlines in the title sequence, yet no-one's accused Spencer Kelly of copying Clarkson for using that approach on Click.

ExRes

Established Member
I also find it interesting some people claim Evans tried to copy Clarkson by doing sarcastic headlines in the title sequence, yet no-one's accused Spencer Kelly of copying Clarkson for using that approach on Click.

It's hardly like for like though is it? how many people even know Click or Spencer Kelly actually exist?

pemma

Veteran Member
It's hardly like for like though is it? how many people even know Click or Spencer Kelly actually exist?

No it's certainly not the same. Evans replaced Clarkson so you'd expect him to have been doing the same sort of things. Yet there have been people both complaining it's changed too much to still be called Top Gear at the same time as saying the features which were retained were copying the old presenters rather than introducing their own ideas.

Yew

Established Member
I've found it fairly enjoyable, I really liked Rory from the start, but it does feel like the show is starting to fall on its feet.

I also enjoyed the grand tour, but felt that sometimes they were just a little too silly, and it harmed the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.