• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just look at Warrington West for an example (where IIRC the council was hoping that both stoppers will call there along with the semi-fast)

I’ll see your Warrington West, and raise you Reston.

Last edited:

Roger B

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern have stated there are going to be reductions to the May 2021 timetable change compared to what is already loaded on the systems

Have Northern many of the Class 319 units still to call upon to meet the cover requirements for those CAF units with the yaw damper problem?

Interesting - I thought that was going ahead - admittedly timeframe TBA.

The latest I'd seen about it was this: https://themanc.com/news/greater-ma...M-P6eQV7CQM5uVSwE_32JWO1M8#Echobox=1611322017. But then again, if local councils can be 'over-optimistic' in promoting the virtues of their pet projects, Andy Burnham's got it in spades!

Has there been a subsequent announcement.
Was there not some recent discussions on whether or not that certain hoped-for services would ever call at the proposed Golborne station after it was built?

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Interesting - I thought that was going ahead - admittedly timeframe TBA.

The latest I'd seen about it was this: https://themanc.com/news/greater-ma...M-P6eQV7CQM5uVSwE_32JWO1M8#Echobox=1611322017. But then again, if local councils can be 'over-optimistic' in promoting the virtues of their pet projects, Andy Burnham's got it in spades!

Has there been a subsequent announcement.

I don’t know much about this, but the funding announcement was part of a budget in a wider package, and I don’t believe that the station has actually be given the go ahead. It would be foolish to do so until it was confirmed that trains could stop there (see Reston).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Was there not some recent discussions on whether or not that certain hoped-for services would ever call at the proposed Golborne station after it was built?
Things are developing with a view to accommodating a potential Golborne station.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Just look at Warrington West for an example (where IIRC the council was hoping that both stoppers will call there along with the semi-fast)
In theory all of the Northern services were going to call at Warrington West, the only one that didn't have a call was the EMR service. In reality I think it gained a call on the semi-fast and one stopper, and then the semi-fast was pulled in the covid timetable last March.

josla1

Have Northern many of the Class 319 units still to call upon to meet the cover requirements for those CAF units with the yaw damper problem?

In regards to the 319’s, some have been covering for the lack of 331’s I think 2 have been subbed in on BPN-MIA

Llandudno

Established Member
Northern have stated there are going to be reductions to the May 2021 timetable change compared to what is already loaded on the systems

Return of the Pacers....!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
In regards to the 319’s, some have been covering for the lack of 331’s I think 2 have been subbed in on BPN-MIA

One was on a Blackpool North to Hazel Grove yesterday. It worked the service between one I got off and one I got on 2 hours later so I skilfully avoided the torture :D

peters

On Moderation
This may have already been mentioned. I've noticed the Crewe to Derby service is no longer running to Matlock from the May timetable change but running to Nottingham and Newark instead. Was that always the plan or has a COVID related review resulted in that?

tommy2215

This may have already been mentioned. I've noticed the Crewe to Derby service is no longer running to Matlock from the May timetable change but running to Nottingham and Newark instead. Was that always the plan or has a COVID related review resulted in that?
Crewe to Derby has never run to Matlock? What has happened is Matlock-Newark Castle has become Matlock-Nottingham and Crewe-Derby has become Crewe-Newark Castle, meaning Derby-Nottingham becomes 4tph, up from 3 pre-covid. I believe this was always the plan.

james60059

Some local observations looking at the TT change in May.

Avanti West Coast appear to be 2tph between EUS - MAN, and also EUS - NorthWest via Coventry (I believe it's currently 1tph on each leg).
XC going back to 1tph between BHM and CDF (originating at NOT) - currently 1tp2h most times of day.
XC going back to 2tph between BHM - LEI, every alternate one extending to SSD (PBO on a Saturday).
XC retaining 1tph between BHM and the SouthWest.
LM reinstating full service between NUN and LMS (became 1tp2h yesterday with a bus every alternating hour).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
XC going back to 1tph between BHM and CDF (originating at NOT) - currently 1tp2h most times of day.
XC going back to 2tph between BHM - LEI, every alternate one extending to SSD (PBO on a Saturday).
XC retaining 1tph between BHM and the SouthWest.
The Turbostar (former Central Trains) part of their network is returning to the pre-Covid timetable.

There happen to be engineering works between Peterborough and Cambridge on the first Saturday of the new TT, trains otherwise run through to SSD as per pre-Covid.

I don't think there are any notable changes to the Voyager/HST (former Virgin XC) part of their network.

Alfie1014

The new GA timetables are on their site https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/timetables bizarrely the recent uplift to the Norwich services (the 05:30 and 06:48 from Norwich and 08:00 and 09:00 back on weekdays aren’t shown but are in journey planners!). Also on weekdays the 17:30 and 18:30 down Norwich’s are shown as pick up only at Colchester, that won’t go down well as that means that there will only be 3 trains from London in those hours two of them slow. Until more services are added to the timetable I can’t ee this only being a bone of contention and a nightmare for staff to try and enforce.

Goldfish62

Established Member
XC appears to be retaining the current level of service to the South West which is between 1tph and 0.5tph. There’s plenty of 2 hour gaps from Plymouth.
And just one train to/from Penzance daily. I wonder if we'll ever see the return of the Aberdeen to Penzance service.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gentle reminder that things like station codes should really be explained the first time they're used. Not everyone has knows them and even those that do haven't memorised all of them :)

david1212

Established Member

I don't think there are any notable changes to the Voyager/HST (former Virgin XC) part of their network.

From a couple of sample dates entered in the National Rail Journey Planner Reading - Basingstoke - Southampton - Bournemouth continutes only 2 hourly. It wouldn't be so bad if a direct substitute was provided.

The only other service is Great Western to Basingstoke then South Western onwards. Ignoring the lack of connectivity with XC at Reading the journey time Reading - Bournemouth becomes an hour longer.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anereeen to penance runs Saturdays only.
????? .... I know what penance means in religious terms, but Anereeen soulds like a remote Irish settlement. The only other word I have seen with three consecutive un-hyphenated identical vowels is the one used in the "Red Bull" advert which claims their product has the abitlty to give "wiiings"

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
From a couple of sample dates entered in the National Rail Journey Planner Reading - Basingstoke - Southampton - Bournemouth continutes only 2 hourly. It wouldn't be so bad if a direct substitute was provided.

The only other service is Great Western to Basingstoke then South Western onwards. Ignoring the lack of connectivity with XC at Reading the journey time Reading - Bournemouth becomes an hour longer.

It's worse on Sunday evenings when the SWR sprinters stop running from Reading as the XC gets into Reading just as the hourly Basingstoke train departs so any passengers wanting to travel beyond Reading has an hour wait before the next stopper, which only gets into Basingstoke ~ 5 minutes before the following XC service, the only connection it makes is the hourly Exeter train otherwise passengers would be better waiting for the XC which carries on towards Southampton.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Also on weekdays the 17:30 and 18:30 down Norwich’s are shown as pick up only at Colchester, that won’t go down well as that means that there will only be 3 trains from London in those hours two of them slow. Until more services are added to the timetable I can’t ee this only being a bone of contention and a nightmare for staff to try and enforce.
The 17:30 is currently first stop Manningtree so a PU only call wont go down well in either train. This will be very entertaining once the regulars get wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.