• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
The above if for text already on the thread.

If the quotation is not already on the thread, use the right hand icon with a sheet of paper (use BB code editor) and insert 1 before the text you want to enter and insert 2 after the text.

where
1 is [ QUOTE] ignore the first space
is [ /QUOTE] ignore the first space

I could not get the message to read correctly otherwise!

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Cuts backs:
  • PM0000015/232 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Coatbridge, Tesco Faraday Retail Park to Coatbridge, Tesco Faraday Retail Park via Kirkshaws

Service number: 200

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 14 Jan 2018

• PM0000015/233 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Coatbridge South Circular Road to Coatbridge South Circular Road via Shawhead

Service number: 206

Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

• PM0000015/238 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Coatbridge, South Circular Road to Coatbridge, South Circular Road via Kirkwood

Service number: 215

• PM0000015/234 Cancelled
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Coatbridge South Circular Road to Coatbridge South Circular Road via Airdrie, Plains, Caldercruix

Service number: 212

• PM0000015/275 Registered
    MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD

Route: Kirkshaws, Dunblane Place to Caldercruix, Dunbreck Avenue via Old Monkland, Barrowfield, Coatdyke, Monklands Hospital, Plains

Service number: 212

Service type: Hail & Ride, Normal Stopping

Effective date: 15 Jan 2018

Volvodart

Established Member
Looks like McGills are getting some new buses. At least 6 Mercedes Citaros were seen on the M25 today.

overthewater

Established Member
Well some interesting points with Monklands area:

SPT has stepped in and will pay for the 206 to continue, Yet mcgill claims there couldnt get a bus into the scheme: http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/resources/site1/General/Monklands TT 206 2018.pdf SPT needs to stop just jumping in to cover any old route going.

• Service 200 amalgamating with service 212. This will give greater connectivity e.g. service 212 customers being able to travel to the Time Capsule. The new service number will be 212.
  • Service 213 will operate revised evening and Sunday SPT journeys.
  • Service 215 being cancelled due to congested streets and uncontrolled parking. Please use service 216 for Kirkwood and 212 for Old Monkland.
  • Service 216 will be enhanced and Kirkwood residents can use this service.
  • Service 245 will operate a revised timetable.
  • Service 310 has been revised within Sandyhills. Evening and Sunday journeys will no longer serve Gartcosh Station and Lochdochart and now terminates at Gartcosh Village.
  • Service 202 has been increased to every 60 minutes.
  • Service 206 will remain and now be operated on behalf of SPT.
with the changes I would say there saved around 3 buses from the network, but First seem to be picking up the passengers between Airdrie and Coatbridge.

Also rumored is Millers coaches are planning to pull of it only route No1 to Chaplehall, give Mcgills full control over that village.

While competition seems to be dying out the Townhead to Coatbridge is still a weird one. The pink buses ( united coaches) are supposed to have two buses on the route yet I only saw one today and it wasn't even running to timetable, it was like it was waiting to hoover up people before leaving. Where was the other bus on a 10min service?

Scotrail88

I think it was the 215 that you couldn’t operate through due to parked cars - never seen issues in shawhead on 206.
United is very strange and don’t know how they still operate.
Millers have cancelled from February - looks like a sign that what’s been happening down south with operators giving up might be about to start in Scotland as times get tough

overthewater

Established Member
I think it was the 215 that you couldn’t operate through due to parked cars - never seen issues in shawhead on 206.
I wonder if the passengers will be happy having to walk ;) . 206 is a weird one since its just off the main road, etc I wonder if mcgills are using the smaller spt buses?

United is very strange and don’t know how they still operate.
There also operate 55? Newarthill - Motherwell, so i think that were the money is coming from.

Millers have cancelled from February - looks like a sign that what’s been happening down south with operators giving up might be about to start in Scotland as times get tough

Found it, must have sneaked in during the xmas hols.
PM1033473/1 MILLERS COACHES SCOTLAND LTD, FASKINE BRAE, SIKESIDE ROAD, AIRDRIE, ML6 9HR
Operating between Honeywell Crescent, Chapelhall and Stirling Street, Airdrie
given service number 1
Temanitation from 30 January 2018.

Whats happening down south hasnt happened here. Mcgills operate on the exact same route ( Arthur coaches run the 87) Competition has seen Milliers finally withdrawn is bus service. Mcgills might need to operate an extra journey at 06.20?

Monklands still has three commercial routes by the small guys:
* Stuarts 111 - Thrashbush,
* Harrys 16 - Moffat Mills,
* McCreadie Coaches 1 - Calderbank.
Plus the two compertitation routes by United coaches 3: to Glenboig and 7 to Townhead

* SPT Service 77 to carbore
* SPT service 16 To Carbore

Of course there First service 201 and 2. For Petersburn, Motherwell and Glasgow.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Most service changes in Renfrewshire
http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/news/significant-renfrewshire-changes.aspx

McGill's rescued these services when Riverside found them unviable and ceased trading in 2013, and has been cross-subsidising these services internally, at a cost of half a million pounds, since - marking the company's commitment to Renfrewshire.

Customers who currently use service 8 from Linwood to Johnstone are advised to use McGill's service 7 and switch to its frequent service 38.

Customers who use service 19 are advised to either use McGill's service 757 between Paisley and Inchinnan, service X7 between Craigends, Crosslee, Houston and Bridge of Weir or service 1 for Bridge of Weir, Houston and Johnstone.

McGill's Managing Director, Ralph Roberts, said: "In 2013, after the collapse of Riverside Travel, we rescued these routes at short notice, to provide local bus users with a service, however, after four years of internal subsidy from passengers on busier routes, we have regrettably had to make the decision to cease the operation of these services.

"The bus operating environment in West Central Scotland is in a serious situation due to patronage decline. More than three-quarters of the reasons for this are out with the bus operator's control. Unless the government and local authorities are able to assist the bus passenger in some meaningful way, it is very likely that more routes will follow the 8 and 19.

"In the current climate, we have a choice, to constantly increase fares or cut back services that require high internal subsidy from other busier services - this pains us greatly and is a last resort. We would like to thank our regular 8 and 19 customers, and direct them to McGill's alternative services."
Other changes to the company's Renfrewshire network on Monday 26 are:

• - Service 7, revised route in Paisley Town Centre and slight changes to times
  • - Service 20, will no longer serve Gallowhilland will terminate at Whitehaugh, customers can board service 64 to Gallowhill
  • - Service 38, will now operate every 5 minutes from Paisley to Glasgow, continuing every 10 minutes from Johnstone to Paisley and every 20 minutes from Spateston and Kilbarchan to Johnstone.

Customers with any enquiries can call McGill's customer services Monday - Friday 7am - 6pm or Saturday 10am - 6pm on 08000 51 56 51, who will be happy to assist.

I wonder if SPT will pay for it? but Mcgill have highlighted how passengers can still travel, Im sure that 19 provided the early morning journeys to ind estate near the airport

smtglasgow

Shame about the loss of the 8 and 19 (are these routes that were originally with Grahams back in the 70s or 80s?), but maybe the change to the 38 is more interesting. A big reduction between Paisley and Johnstone (6 mins to 10 mins) but an increase on the competitive section to Glasgow. An attempt to push First off the route? But the overall mood music suggests that McGills are hurting as badly as everyone else.

Volvodart

Established Member
It will not help all the SPT work they took on at a very low margin.

smtglasgow

Good point – they have a very high proportion of tendered work compared to all the other large operators. I’m sure they’re doing well enough in Renfrewshire, but I wonder if McGills regret moving into Lanarkshire?

overthewater

Established Member
I cant see First pulling out anytime soon there still get a fair few customers. I dont think there regret moving into Monklands area there really have cleaned up the place. There need to expand a bit on other routes, since there plenty of untapped markets within reason....

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I cant see First pulling out anytime soon there still get a fair few customers. I dont think there regret moving into Monklands area there really have cleaned up the place. There need to expand a bit on other routes, since there plenty of untapped markets within reason....

I really don’t want to be rude but your grammar makes it difficult to understand your point. Do you mean....

I cant see First pulling out anytime soon. THEY still get a fair few customers. I dont think THEY’RE regretTING moving into Monklands area. THEY really have cleaned up the place. THEY need to expand a bit on other routes, since there ARE plenty of untapped markets within reason....

Apologies - I don’t want to offend. However, it’s tricky to understand what you mean

overthewater

Established Member
yes, I blame the snow and cold weather, I think I shall put them on the fire to warm up!( thank goodness I dont play the piano)

overthewater

Established Member
At least I give someone laugh. With Mcgills, the SPT tenders is a strange one, because its Lanarkshire operations were all based off the back of Hendersons who were one of the biggest operators to SPT. I dont believe henderson were bad since it lasted 25 years mainly of the back of SPT contracts, the reason that went bust is a weird story linked to some crocks doon south.

Mcgills dont take all the routes they? win. I believe it was supposed to operate routes around Lanark and carluke etc but decide to only take the "10" or now the 210. The only thing I have noticed with the SPT contracts is there bolt on to the existing network rather well, and McGills have been a little bit devious using the SPT routes to help plug some gaps of network. While keep everyone else out.

Last edited:
More changes from 7th May
Service 101 with be withdrawn and replaced by service 26 with an improved 7/8 minute frequency between paisley and braehead
sevice 21 will operate between renfrew and paisley only

overthewater

Established Member
So there only be a bus every 30mins from Glasgow Road to Paisley? Also the 26 route takes long to Breahead? Has the demand dropped to Govan? Why can't there do all these changes at the same time?

Mcgills saving another two buses...

Last edited:

AY1975

Established Member
If McGill's fares weren't so expensive they might not get treated as the enemy. The Inverclyde fares are far too over priced and in Glasgow, the fares between Glasgow and Govan are substantially cheaper on the subway and even Stagecoach.

That last part about 'unprecedented fair increases' (which should be 'fare') McGill's increase their fares quite frequently so it's no wonder passengers are seeking out other means of transport. McGill's need to stop the 'woe is me' attitude.

I understand also that MgGill's doesn't accept SPT Daytripper tickets - again if they did, they might not get treated as the enemy. Rather oddly, on the SPT website MgGill's isn't listed as a participating operator for the Daytripper but they ARE listed as accepting SPT ZoneCards.

Someone mentioned Glasgow Citybus earlier in this thread: again, Glasgow Citybus is listed as accepting SPT ZoneCards but not Daytrippers.

overthewater

Established Member
I dont think the daytripper pays very well, and mind you, people are better off getting a Roundabout ticket at £7 which give days travel on Scotrail network.

route101

Established Member
I understand also that MgGill's doesn't accept SPT Daytripper tickets - again if they did, they might not get treated as the enemy. Rather oddly, on the SPT website MgGill's isn't listed as a participating operator for the Daytripper but they ARE listed as accepting SPT ZoneCards.

Someone mentioned Glasgow Citybus earlier in this thread: again, Glasgow Citybus is listed as accepting SPT ZoneCards but not Daytrippers.

Yeah its crazy . They accept the tripper funnily enough . The daytripper is outdated , should be in ticket format . The roundabout could include buses and be like a zone 1 daytripper and existing daytripper zone 1 and 2

gnolife

Established Member
The daytripper is outdated , should be in ticket format
Absolutely not! I've just had 3 days of using them, and I only had 2 instances of bus drivers didn't accept them at first glance. The first was a subsidised evening service run by McGills, who dont allow them on their commercial daytime runs of the route, and the second was towards the edge of the validity area, and the driver couldnt recall where was in anod out. Both of them were easily resolved by turning the ticket over and having them read the fine print on the back. The only change that I'd make to them is to have the user write the year of use on them instead of scratching it off, to prevent the supply of them expiring unsold. The day, date and month are fine as is.

This experience is in contrast to what I find in a lot of other areas where similar tickets exist - I don't know off the top of my head how many times I've had to cough up for single bus tickets on GM wayfarers, but it must be a good few dozen.

route101

Established Member
Absolutely not! I've just had 3 days of using them, and I only had 2 instances of bus drivers didn't accept them at first glance. The first was a subsidised evening service run by McGills, who dont allow them on their commercial daytime runs of the route, and the second was towards the edge of the validity area, and the driver couldnt recall where was in anod out. Both of them were easily resolved by turning the ticket over and having them read the fine print on the back. The only change that I'd make to them is to have the user write the year of use on them instead of scratching it off, to prevent the supply of them expiring unsold. The day, date and month are fine as is.

This experience is in contrast to what I find in a lot of other areas where similar tickets exist - I don't know off the top of my head how many times I've had to cough up for single bus tickets on GM wayfarers, but it must be a good few dozen.

I suppose its ok for buses as you just show it but for getting through railway station barriers , its an ld fashioned design , big and clunky . You cant buy it from any machine too nor the roundabout .

gnolife

Established Member
I suppose its ok for buses as you just show it but for getting through railway station barriers , its an ld fashioned design , big and clunky . You cant buy it from any machine too nor the roundabout .
Roundabouts can be sold by any guard or ticket examiner, so that isn't exactly much of a problem. Ticket barriers, which I can think of only 3 stations in the area with them (Central, Queen Street and Ayr) are at most a 30 second delay while you get the barrier staffs attention, the subway issue a free all day ticket to anyone who has either a daytripper or roundabout, - they stamp a roundabout and write on a daytripper that the subway ticket has been issued

route101

Established Member
Roundabouts can be sold by any guard or ticket examiner, so that isn't exactly much of a problem. Ticket barriers, which I can think of only 3 stations in the area with them (Central, Queen Street and Ayr) are at most a 30 second delay while you get the barrier staffs attention, the subway issue a free all day ticket to anyone who has either a daytripper or roundabout, - they stamp a roundabout and write on a daytripper that the subway ticket has been issued

Yeah i get you but is outdated way of delivering the ticket . Buying a ticket when there is long lines and you could use a TVM . Same with the plusbus . The daytripper is intended for families and isent even marketed as a day ticket or rover .

overthewater

Established Member
It seems further changes are being planned for 7th May to other services in Paisley area, the company is staying tight lipped about those changes.

overthewater

Established Member
Yes Mcgill is taking another the knife to the operations. although the changes to the 757 are to make it run to time. It does seem another six buses are coming off the road. So that brings the total to around 10 buses off the road between Late March and early may just in Renfrewshire, ( SPT has stepped in and there now operate an extra bus etc) but who counting :P

Gibson 21 has come a long, it used to be every 10mins, Gibson and arriva both had service to Breahead every 8mins. 54 was every 10 min back in the day aswell ...

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/news/your-upcoming-may-renfrewshire-changes.aspx

We'll have timetables online and on our buses soon, but in the meantime, check out a summary of your upcoming changes!
Service 6 - revised timetable

We have amended times to better suit shift patterns for those who work at Silverburn and Paisley! There is also an added journey at 18.12 from Silverburn.

Service 21 - Revised route
  • Continued 30 minute frequency, but will now terminate at Intu Braehead from Paisley
  • Will no longer serve QEUH, please board your frequent service 17 from Paisley or 23 from Renfrew
  • For Govan Bus Station, please board McGill's services 23 or 26, which will continue to serve this area
Service 22 - Extended route
  • Will be your new Mains Hill service, replacing 757 in this area
  • Minor change to times
Service 23 - Revised timetable
  • Will operate every 10 minutes between Glasgow and Intu Braehead
  • Will operate every 30 minutes to Erskine, from Intu Braehead and Glasgow
Your 23 and X23 offer a combined 15-minute frequency between Erskine and Intu Braehead
Service X23 - Additional journeys
We have added additional peak time journeys!
  • Morning - Erskine to Glasgow via Renfrew
  • Evening - Glasgow to Erskine via Renfrew
Service 26 - Improved frequency
  • New frequency of every 7/8 minutes between Paisley and Intu Braehead via Renfrew
  • All journeys will now extend from Paisley to Intu Braehead, replacing service 101
  • You can board service 26 at stance 3 at Intu Braehead
  • Perfect service for going to Intu Braehead or Soar
Service 54 - Revised frequency
  • Will operate every 30 minutes Monday - Saturday
  • Slightly revised times on a Sunday
Service 66 - Revised route
  • Will now operate via Bridge Street, Cotton Street to Gauze Street in Paisley town centre, no longer serves Weir Street
  • Monday - Saturday operates between Paisley and Dykebar Hospital
  • Sunday - operated between Shortroods and Dykebar Hospital
  • For Glasgow Airport - please board McGill's 757
Service 101 - Replaced by new frequent 26
  • Service 26 will operate every 7/8 minutes along this route
  • You can also board McGill's 21 from Paisley or 23&X23 from Renfrew
Service 757 - Revised route
  • Will no longer serve Mains Hill, please board service 22 in this area
  • Improved morning frequency! Will operate more frequently from Paisley to Inchinnan Business Park
  • Will no longer serve Glasgow Airport Business Park
  • Your new stop in Paisley town centre is Central Street under the bridge, about 1 minute from Smithhills Street