• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Stan Drews

Established Member
I think it should have been an all or nothing affair. Simple bus networks get passengers onboard. I get why they did what they did but the reduction will have discouraged some people and now the further reductions will discourage people and passengers have had to go through 2 lots of reductions rather than just 1 set of reductions.

From what it seems, given the extensions will be replaced by the local routes anyway, the only thing being saved is the fact it's a diesel bus not electric. The same amount of resources needed, still 1 bus and 1 driver however the services run (extensions to the 38 or standalone routes). Is that such a huge cost difference?
The trouble is people don’t usually accept the reality first time around - in this case the ‘local’ ends of the route performed very poorly - so operators often have to prove the point by taking a two stage approach. By the time of the second stage they have data that much more clearly demonstrates the issue.
I’ve experienced many similar scenarios with a number of operators over the years.
I don’t think I fully understand the point being made in your second paragraph. They converted the 38 to electric using 4 less vehicles, so a cost difference of well over £1m.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
On the subject of confusion, I'd be surprised if nobody gets confused by the 30 given that each of the 3 an hour has a varied route in Johnstone. 1 serves North Road, 1 serves Floors Street and 1 serves neither.

Having different numbers for the Spateston and Kilbarchan 38s would probably help too. The Arriva days of having the 36 and 38 probably made it more simple for passengers.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The trouble is people don’t usually accept the reality first time around - in this case the ‘local’ ends of the route performed very poorly - so operators often have to prove the point by taking a two stage approach. By the time of the second stage they have data that much more clearly demonstrates the issue.
I’ve experienced many similar scenarios with a number of operators over the years.
I get it in some ways but it also just makes a long dragged out withdrawal and means people whinge twice, 2 sets of petitions and peoples journeys have to be replanned twice. It's more inconvenience for everyone.

I don’t think I fully understand the point being made in your second paragraph. They converted the 38 to electric using 4 less vehicles, so a cost difference of well over £1m.
I am comparing the current provision against that being provided in May. The current provision versus what is being suggested to be provided in May suggest zero change in terms of PVR for this group of services, no change to the number of drivers needed, simply that the bus being provided would be diesel rather than electric. I suppose for anyone using the current 38A, it would also mean an increase in journey time which understandably won't go down well.

sannox

The reason McGill's gave at the time which was that it was to operate more reliably due to severe congestion and that this would end up with more buses than before.

In all honesty, Kilbarchan and Spateston had even less chance of performing well when removed from an established route linked to Glasgow and Paisley and instead only given a service to Johnstone (and not even to the railway station in the 32's case). If passenger numbers and costs didn't add up when linked to the 36/38 service it's not going to work running a shuttle service of 2 Enviro200s to only Johnstone.

Like many SPT suppoerted services do, it's providing a bus coverage in the community but not a service that people want to use.

smtglasgow

Always thought cutting back the 38s was odd. Forcing through passengers to change bus is never going to grow numbers and it looks as if use has continued to decline. At the time I wondered if this was a cunning ploy from McGills – make it easy to cut evening and Sundays and get SPT to pay. Maybe that’s too cynical, but it looks like what’s going to happen. The rest of the 38 seems to do OK, so I guess it’ll stay much as it is – if only to match First within Glasgow.

Stan Drews

Established Member
I get it in some ways but it also just makes a long dragged out withdrawal and means people whinge twice, 2 sets of petitions and peoples journeys have to be replanned twice. It's more inconvenience for everyone.

I am comparing the current provision against that being provided in May. The current provision versus what is being suggested to be provided in May suggest zero change in terms of PVR for this group of services, no change to the number of drivers needed, simply that the bus being provided would be diesel rather than electric. I suppose for anyone using the current 38A, it would also mean an increase in journey time which understandably won't go down well.
There are no plans to replace electric buses with diesels, and no route change for the 38A’s.

The reason McGill's gave at the time which was that it was to operate more reliably due to severe congestion and that this would end up with more buses than before.

In all honesty, Kilbarchan and Spateston had even less chance of performing well when removed from an established route linked to Glasgow and Paisley and instead only given a service to Johnstone (and not even to the railway station in the 32's case). If passenger numbers and costs didn't add up when linked to the 36/38 service it's not going to work running a shuttle service of 2 Enviro200s to only Johnstone.

Like many SPT suppoerted services do, it's providing a bus coverage in the community but not a service that people want to use.
The local services have certainly been far more reliable, which was indeed one of the aims. However, as you say the number of users doesn’t cover the cost of providing it, and now as separate services that can be much more readily identified and action taken that doesn’t have any great impact on the main 38 timetable.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
With the cuts, how far off being able to run all electric will Mcgills actually be? Obviously, they're a bit off at Greenock as electric is a new thing there but Inchinnan and Johnstone can't be miles off. One more reasonably sized order might just do it.

markymark2000

On Moderation
There are no plans to replace electric buses with diesels, and no route change for the 38A’s.
If the 38 is withdrawn from these areas and replaced with the local services, that is replacing the electric buses with diesel. The 38 will use less electric buses as it won't cover these areas (or the buses will be used to provide increased frequency or increased reliability) and the local services will have an increase in PVR which will be a diesel bus. The same amount of resource should be used, it would be an electric bus on the 38 though or diesel bus on the local service.

As for no change to the 38A, it says about the 38 no longer serving Spateston, does that just mean the evening services then?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Where in McGill's are electrics banned on the local services??
If the 38 stops extending, it will just become the current 32 diesel buses running for more of the day.

Just seen that McGills West is simplifying it's ticketing range. The current 9 GoZones will be replaced by 5 named zones.

Basic points being:
Greater Glasgow (Replacing current GoZones 1, 4, 8 & XP)
Greater Glasgow Plus (Replacing GoZone 1+)
Iverclyde (Replacing GoZone 2)
Iverclyde Plus (Replacing GoZone 3)
Clydeside (Replacing GoZone 5 & 6)
Duo tickets introduced which will save 25% off 2 x daysavers.
Family tickets replaced with group tickets (with quite a price hike)

A lot of prices going up but there are some price reductions, generally for those using weekly or 4 weekly tickets. Current GoZone 1+, the week ticket will reduce by £3 in the Greater Glasgow Plus zone. The 'All Zones'/GoZone 6 weekly ticket will reduce by £5 under the Clydeside zone. Quite a hefty saving over time that one.

Full quote I think is too long and is just corporate waffle. The new prices are below in photo form (as per McGills website). Sorry mods.

Attachments

• 1678826056835.png
    1678826056835.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 30

markymark2000

On Moderation
I am not sure if the cuts are going to perhaps be larger than previously thought but some of the cancellations are now showing on Vosa.

All from 1st May
Paisley to Erskine 22 is cancelled.
Johnstone 31 is cancelled
Greenock to Clydebank X22 is cancelled
52 Barrhead is cancelled.
54 Paisley is cancelled
540 Gorouck is cancelled.

Whether these services end up on another registration remains to be seen but these are cancelled registrations.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I am not sure if the cuts are going to perhaps be larger than previously thought but some of the cancellations are now showing on Vosa.

All from 1st May
Paisley to Erskine 22 is cancelled.
Johnstone 31 is cancelled
Greenock to Clydebank X22 is cancelled
52 Barrhead is cancelled.
54 Paisley is cancelled
540 Gorouck is cancelled.

Whether these services end up on another registration remains to be seen but these are cancelled registrations.

It certainly seems pretty grim on the front of it. As much as the funding cut is shocking, I can't imagine that the price increases coupled with cuts within a month will do anything other than make them lose passengers. I don't know what I would do if in charge but this probably won't end well.

overthewater

Established Member
How do we know all those are actually cuts? You would think 22 would have bigger headlines compared to the wee local buses which has Key coaches running on them.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I'd imagine that the 7A that's been spoken about will be a less frequent version of the 64 and something will probably be either rerouted or extended to cover the Gallowhill end of it.

The 22 is an unfortunate one but all of the route has an alternative bus along it, if I remember correctly. The alternative just varies depending on where you are.

The X22 is maybe the main one I could see an SPT tender for, although something could be rerouted to cover Bishopton onwards and leave the 757 as the only option for Clydebank.

The Sunday 3s could be extended to Neilston and that's the 54 covered as you can get the 51 from Barrhead to Paisley.

The 31 will probably be covered by a reroute of the 20.

Last edited by a moderator:

sannox

I'd imagine that the 7A that's been spoken about will be a less frequent version of the 64 and something will probably be either rerouted or extended to cover the Gallowhill end of it.

The 22 is an unfortunate one but all of the route has an alternative bus along it, if I remember correctly. The alternative just varies depending on where you are.

The X22 is maybe the main one I could see an SPT tender for, although something could be rerouted to cover Bishopton onwards and leave the 757 as the only option for Clydebank.

The Sunday 3s could be extended to Neilston and that's the 54 covered as you can get the 51 from Barrhead to Paisley.

The 31 will probably be covered by a reroute of the 20.

64 could be worked by interworking with the 7 and extending the 66 to cover the Gallowhill bit?

The only section not covered by the 22 is Newmains which lost the 21 years ago. Erskine to Paisley would be covered by the 757 I guess.

I think the bigger risk is broken links requiring a change.

PaulMc7

Established Member
64 could be worked by interworking with the 7 and extending the 66 to cover the Gallowhill bit?

The only section not covered by the 22 is Newmains which lost the 21 years ago. Erskine to Paisley would be covered by the 757 I guess.

I think the bigger risk is broken links requiring a change.
That's the option I'd go with to replace the 64. Extending the 61 is also another possible option.

The 21 still goes through Newmains via Cockels Loan, Newmains Road, Broadloan, Sandy Road then Glebe Street.

Broken links never go well. The funding cut is driving this wave of cuts of course but I don't see how anything they're doing gets people back onto buses.

It's not exclusive to McGill's, though, I will say that. Bus companies need to engage with the public far more than they do in order to find routes that will be more use. People will never like cuts but if you offer a viable, reliable alternative they'll be far less annoyed that just constant cuts with no consultation.

megabusser

The demise of the Erskine - Paisley 22 is quite something. I’m sure it was every 10 or 12 mins under Arriva in the early 2000s, and going back further there were multiple operators on that route in the early 1990s (Clydeside and Bridge Coaches).

The demise of Paisley Town Centre, rising car use and presence of the 757 have presumably all contributed to it going from an important service to (apparently) total cancellation.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The demise of the Erskine - Paisley 22 is quite something. I’m sure it was every 10 or 12 mins under Arriva in the early 2000s, and going back further there were multiple operators on that route in the early 1990s (Clydeside and Bridge Coaches).

The demise of Paisley Town Centre, rising car use and presence of the 757 have presumably all contributed to it going from an important service to (apparently) total cancellation.
When I went to college in Paisley in 2012-13, I am pretty sure the 22 was every 30 mins along with the 22C every 30 mins which was the old Paisley to Clydebank bus through Renfrew, Inchinnan and Erskine. There was also a 22A that ran the 22 route but through Inchinnan Business Park too.

A lot of smaller buses were used on them but they were very busy almost all of the time.

Erskine became incredibly car loaded and bus use went out of the window. I'd imagine part of it was down to the services offered by Mcgills because at one point, even the 23 was every 10 minutes to Erskine previously.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people absolutely despise certain bus companies and would only use the buses if they became public run again. That's the sad reality of the industry unfortunately and I think a lot of the hate comes from the lack of regular communication regarding services and constant cuts over the years.

Last edited:

voidwxrranty

The only area of the 22 that won’t be covered is Mains Hill, but maybe they could return the 757 to Mains Hill, instead of it only being the 521A that goes around there.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Some registrations are going in again today for May 1st on VOSA. I've also added more that have gone in today 29th March

• PM0000015/117 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnstone, Houston Square to Paisley, Gauze Street via Johnstone, Paisley
    Service number: 20
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 01 May 2023
  • PM0000015/153 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Ben Nevis Road, Paisley to Royal Alexandria Hospital via Town Centre
    Service number: 10
  • PM0000015/320 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Erskine, North Barr or Sempil Avenue or Bargarran to Glasgow Hope Street or Buchanan Street
    Service number: 23 (X23, 23A)
  • PM0000015/4 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Port Glasgow Bus Station to Inverclyde Royal Hospital via Greenock Town Centre
    Service number: 545
    Service type: Limited Stop
  • PM0000015/30 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: West Stewart Street, Greenock to Midtown or Trumpethill
    Service number: 507
  • PM0000015/221 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock, Earnhill Road to Port Glasgow
    Service number: 802
  • PM0000015/220 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock Earnhill Road to Greenock Town Centre
    Service number: 801
  • PM0000015/315 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Mallard Crescent, Greenock to Mallard Crescent, Greenock
    Service number: 550
  • PM0000015/230 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Paisley to Silverburn
    Service number: 6
  • PM0000015/125 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Neilston, Main Street to Glasgow, Renfrew Street via Silverburn Shawlands Cross
    Service number: 3
  • PM0000015/250 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Gauze Street, Paisley to Oakbank Drive, Barrhead
    Service number: 51
  • PM0000015/128 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnstone Cochranemill Road to Glasgow, Renfrew Street
    Service number: 38 (38A)
  • PM0000015/223 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnstone, Cochranemill Road or Paisley, Witherspoon Street to Glasgow, Renfrew Street via Govan, Patrick
    Service number: 17 (17A)
  • PM0000015/316 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnston Houston Square to Kilbarchan Primary School, Meadside Avenue via Kilbarchan Road, Easwald Bank, Low Barholm
    Service number: 32
  • PM0000015/318 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnston Houston Square to Spateston Road, Fulmar Place via Floors Street, North Road
    Service number: 30
  • PM0000015/148 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Neilston Leisure Centre or Dykebar Hospital to Paisley Gauze Street via Todholm
    Service number: 66
  • PM0000015/131 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Cochranemill Road or Foxbar Amochrie Road to Gallowhill Community Centre, Netherhill Road via Paisley
    Service number: 61
  • PM0000015/33 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock, Nicolson Street to Greenock, Nicolson Street via Kilmacolm Road
    Service number: 543
  • PM0000015/222 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Linwood to Paisley via Phoenix, Asda, Ferguslie Park Tannahill Centre
    Service number: 7 (7A)
  • PM0000015/76 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Montrose Avenue, Millport Road, Port Glasgow to Greenock Tesco via Port Glasgow
    Service number: 532
  • PM0000015/75 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Oronsay Avenue to Greenock Tesco via Port Glasgow
    Service number: 533
  • PM0000015/299 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock Road, Inchinnan to Nethercraigs via Paisley
    Service number: 26A
  • PM0000015/321 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Inchinnan Bus Depot, Greenock Road to Erskine, North Barr or Sempill Avenue or Bargarran
    Service number: 23D
  • PM0000015/74 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Moss Road, Slaemuir to Greenock Town Centre via Port Glasgow, Kilmacolm
    Service number: 531
  • PM0000015/95 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Burns Square, Greenock to Town Centre/Tesco, Greenock via Branchton Station
    Service number: 517
  • PM0000015/103 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Inchinnan Depot or Paisley Smithhills Street to Braehead Bus Station via Newmains
    Service number: 21
  • PM0000015/300 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnstone, Cochranemill Road to Barrhead via Paisley
    Service number: 51A

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Details of the May changes have been announced. Note the typing mistakes.

McGill's Network Review - Monday 1st May 2023
Today Fri 7th Apr 2023

McGill’s Network Review 2023
Network review Info

McGill’s Buses has announced that from Monday 1st May there will be a number of service changes, following a review of the network in Inverclyde, Renfrewshire and East Renfrewshire.

The number of journeys being made is between 80-90% of pre- pandemic levels and operating costs have risen exponentially so changes to routes and timetables are necessary to ensure the future viability of the networks across the west of Scotland.

The most significant service changes are:

Service 22 - Paisley to Erskine: will be replaced by a variety of alternative links on the 21, 23, 26 and 757; all other journeys can be made by via transfer at Renfrew.
Service 31 - Johnstone, Houston Square to Johnstone Castle: will be replaced by a route variation to the 20.
Service 52 - Barrhead, Stewart Street to Barrhead, Tesco: will be withdrawn due to very low usage.
Service 54 - Neilston to Paisley: will be replaced by an extension to the 66.
Service 64 - Phoenix Retail Park to Gallowhill: will be replaced by a new 7A between Paisley and Phoenix Retail Park, and by an extension to the 61 between Paisley and Gallowhill
Service 540 - Clynder Road to Gourock Station: will be replaced by alternative links on the 545 between Bridgend and Royal Inverclyde Hospital via Greenock town centre, and the 543 will be extended to include Cardross Crescent.
Service X22 - Greenock to Clydebank: due to be withdrawn but discussions are ongoing with SPT about an alternative service being provided.
Ralph Roberts, CEO of McGill’s Group, said: “From 1St May we will be making changes to our Eastern Scottish network which will see a number of services changed or withdrawn.
"On most services, the number of journeys being made is between 75 to 80 percent of pre-pandemic levels. But, given the increased costs, this means we need to make some changes to routes and timetables - both to reflect current demand, and to ensure the future viability of our networks across West Lothian and Edinburgh.
"Local authorities have the power to step in with financial support where journeys or services are considered to be socially necessary. We have therefore advised them of these proposed changes so that they can weigh up potential replacement services.
"Just as Covid was unprecedented, we understand that these service changes post-pandemic are unique.
"Whilst we fully recognise the extent of service changes, we have worked hard to try and adjust other Eastern Scottish services to cover some or all of the cancelled service routes.
"This detail is important as we shape the most efficient bus provision for the region moving forward."

PaulMc7

Established Member
Details of the May changes have been announced. Note the typing mistakes.

At least with the services being axed, an alternative way to make the journey still exists. The X22 is an interesting one. If it's every 2 hours and still not viable then I do wonder what any good solution could be. Bishopton is only left with the SPT tendered 521/521A.

voidwxrranty

At least with the services being axed, an alternative way to make the journey still exists. The X22 is an interesting one. If it's every 2 hours and still not viable then I do wonder what any good solution could be. Bishopton is only left with the SPT tendered 521/521A.
I think the only logical solution is to bring back the X23 to Linburn (every 60 mins), and extend them onto Bishopton Stn, giving Bishopton another link into Renfrewshire and Glasgow (in form of X23, 757 etc.)

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think the only logical solution is to bring back the X23 to Linburn (every 60 mins), and extend them onto Bishopton Stn, giving Bishopton another link into Renfrewshire and Glasgow (in form of X23, 757 etc.)
Bishopton needs something. Building a 4,000 home development (a good thousand plus houses are compete and occupied) with roads which are bus friendly, the development is literally 5-10 minutes from McGills depot and yet there's no bus through there. The mind boggles.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Bishopton needs something. Building a 4,000 home development (a good thousand plus houses are compete and occupied) with roads which are bus friendly, the development is literally 5-10 minutes from McGills depot and yet there's no bus through there. The mind boggles.
Even an hourly service to Braehead or Paisley through Erskine would be something. It's certainly strange on McGill's part to not try something. I don't use the buses too often but Erskine's bus use off peak seems to have gone off of a cliff especially on the 757 when I have used it so they really need to try something to get people back onside. McGill's seem to be very much despised these days.