• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

PaulMc7

Established Member
Have Mcgills been losing drivers of late? I don't use them that much so not 100% sure whether it's better or worse now than recent months. I noticed this week especially that some of their SPT tendered services are even seeing cancellations now. 1 on the 364 today coupled with the 164 and 374 getting them too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stan Drews

Established Member
Have Mcgills been losing drivers of late? I don't use them that much so not 100% sure whether it's better or worse now than recent months. I noticed this week especially that some of their SPT tendered services are even seeing cancellations now. 1 on the 364 today coupled with the 164 and 374 getting them too.
I think it’s actually a lot better now, than it has been, but they are now publicising the cancellations so it’s more apparent what is actually missing.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think it’s actually a lot better now, than it has been, but they are now publicising the cancellations so it’s more apparent what is actually missing.
Yes, the publicising was long overdue. The last time I used McGill's it was the 26 and 51 causing all sorts of issues when I tried to get one. That was just over a month ago, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotrail88

With the current frequency reductions and the 3 already EV operated, is there any indication where the extras will move into?
Surely the X23 (subject to range) could be a contender due to being the last city route which won’t be electric.

Anyone got this info?

Delivery can’t be far off as was supposed to be end of 22.

Volvodart

Established Member
They seem busy with the Stagecoach Inverness ones being fitted out just now, they are probably next in line.

Scotrail88

Hopefully start to see them arrive soon in Yorkshire for fitting out.
Suppose we’ll find out where the ‘spares’ will appear once arrived.

Christmas

The 904 route branded Citaros seem to have vanished. Perhaps the 904 will be converted to electric. They really need to look at keeping the Sunday service all the year round now.

voidwxrranty

The 904 route branded Citaros seem to have vanished. Perhaps the 904 will be converted to electric. They really need to look at keeping the Sunday service all the year round now.
The 904 Citaro's are a bit under the weather so to speak, 3362 is from what I've heard from drivers, the only reliable one. The last time I seen 3363 outside in Johnstone it was missing its bumper, so it might be in for repairs.

The 904 Citaro's are a bit under the weather so to speak, 3362 is from what I've heard from drivers, the only reliable one. The last time I seen 3363 outside in Johnstone it was missing its bumper, so it might be in for repairs.
Or it’s now being cannibalised for parts.

My guess is that they're not the cheapest buses going around to repair given the 3-pointed star on the front will likely command a premium. Not to mention they have been blasted between Largs and Glasgow most of their lives and god only knows what other cost cutting measures McGills implement which must affect the overall reliability on a long term basis.

cnjb8

Established Member

My guess is that there not the cheapest buses going around to repair given the 3-pointed star on the front will likely command a premium, not to mention they have been blasted between largs and Glasgow most of there lives and god only knows what other cost cutting measures McGills implements which must affect the overall reliability on a long term basis.
Aren't they the ex-Wellglade Citaros? If so their reliability was poor when they ran down here

voidwxrranty

My guess is that there not the cheapest buses going around to repair given the 3-pointed star on the front will likely command a premium, not to mention they have been blasted between largs and Glasgow most of there lives and god only knows what other cost cutting measures McGills implements which must affect the overall reliability on a long term basis.
3363 is one of the ex-Kinchbus examples, so was only bought by Mcgills a few years ago, and has spent all its years at Johnstone Depot

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
There is an e-Citaro out on the 38 right now, headed towards Paisley.

ClydeCoaster

Are the Citaros the bendy buses that were used in London a good while ago?
No, the artics have long since retired. The Citaro fleet is now mainly O295s bought new or via Kinchbus.

McGill's tried the eCitaro last year and if I remember correctly weren't too impressed by the build quality...

Stan Drews

Established Member
so much so that exact same vehicle is now back with them
It failed after a couple of days last time, and Mercedes took it away for repair. It has apparently had a battery upgrade too, so presumably why they’re taking another look at it.

Christmas

Can anyone explain the madness in Johnstone Centre where not only the 38 to Glasgow now terminate and starts on the wrong side of the road, next to the bandstand, but the 904 performs a loop of the square too?

This madness is adding extra minutes on to journeys as buses struggle to pull out to climb the Thorn Brae.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Can anyone explain the madness in Johnstone Centre where not only the 38 to Glasgow now terminate and starts on the wrong side of the road, next to the bandstand, but the 904 performs a loop of the square too?

This madness is adding extra minutes on to journeys as buses struggle to pull out to climb the Thorn Brae.
The changes were made to help with reliability. The 20 and 38 got cut at Houstoun Square and a 30, 31 and 32 were created as a result. The 30 is Houston Square to Spateston, the 31 is Houstoun Square to Johnstone Castle in a circular route and the 32 is Houston Square to Kilbarchan.

Stan Drews

Established Member

Houston Square is effectively used as an interchange, and on that side of the road there is a large area for several buses to take layover, as well as serve the stops. The stop on the other side was/is frequently adversely impacted by indiscriminate parking. With virtually all services stopping at the same location, it makes interchange between the local/longer services much easier for passengers.

Traveller54

Houston Square is effectively used as an interchange, and on that side of the road there is a large area for several buses to take layover, as well as serve the stops. The stop on the other side was/is frequently adversely impacted by indiscriminate parking. With virtually all services stopping at the same location, it makes interchange between the local/longer services much easier for passengers.
All well and good, except for those of us living in outlying areas such as Kilbarchan who have lost our direct service beyond Johnstone centre on weekday daytimes; particularly inconvenient for catching a train from Johnstone station. Would it not have been more sensible to site the interchange hub there, though I appreciate a lot of work would be needed to improve access to the station forecourt?

Christmas

Perhaps McGill's would be interested in buying Ardrossan depot from Stagecoach as they seem to have entirely lost interest in its operations...
What is the arrangement for 585 passengers who wish to travel beyond Largs in either direction?

gnolife

Established Member
Perhaps McGill's would be interested in buying Ardrossan depot from Stagecoach as they seem to have entirely lost interest in its operations...
What is the arrangement for 585 passengers who wish to travel beyond Largs in either direction?
Cough up and take the 901 or 906.

If they did this I'd bet they'd fix up the run-down X34/X36 runs, and reconnect the 585 (re-route via Gourock to replace the 547).

Would be nice with the open-tops in summer!

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Before the purchase of First Scotland East was announced, many McGill's staff though it was Ardrossan that was being bought.

NIT100

Cough up and take the 901 or 906.
The Stagecoach 585 timetable stills says this at the bottom of its latest timetable (From 12th November):

"Service 585 will terminate in Largs, passengers can transfer on to the McGill’s 901 or 906 towards Greenock. McGill's passengers travelling south of Largs can transfer on to the Stagecoach service from the 901 or 906 - valid tickets from either operator will be accepted on the 585, 901 and 906."

I have never seen it advertised or even mentioned by McGill's before and have never used it myself or seen anyone else use it. I briefly considered if I might use it when walking that section of the Ayrshire Coastal Path but never needed to in the end.

I do not know what a valid ticket is in this situation