• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Christmas

Over the past few weeks when I've been out and about in the car I've spotted McGill's newish coaches in both Kilbirnie and Beith around 7am and 8am. Today it was one of the Xplore Dundee Fly airport coaches that I spotted at Glengarnock. Does anyone know why they are operating in the area?
The regular 904 buses were running as normal so not a stand in for these.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Over the past few weeks when I've been out and about in the car I've spotted McGill's newish coaches in both Kilbirnie and Beith around 7am and 8am. Today it was one of the Xplore Dundee Fly airport coaches that I spotted at Glengarnock. Does anyone know why they are operating in the area?
The regular 904 buses were running as normal so not a stand in for these.
If you are referring to USU 661 and BU18 YSN these are both currently the allocations for St. Columba's School's runs up to Kilmacolm.

Believe they are usually the Kilbirnie and Paisley runs respectively, occasionally I find 0607 drops in for a change!

Christmas

I see, but the 904 is usually operated by a citaro or low floor. Kilmacolm is about ten miles away from Kilbirnie though so I don't understand why they were there, especially when the regular 904 low floor was following a few minutes later...

Stan Drews

Established Member
I see, but the 904 is usually operated by a citaro or low floor. Kilmacolm is about ten miles away from Kilbirnie though so I don't understand why they were there, especially when the regular 904 low floor was following a few minutes later...
Those school contracts have nothing to do with the 904.
They have two private contracts for St.Columba’s at Kilmacolm. One coach starts from Kilbirnie (which will be the one you are seeing), and the other one from the east end of Paisley.

roadierway77

There appears to be a Mellor Strata tracking on the 901/906 today, which is rather odd. Don't think I've ever seen one on those routes. Tracking error/swapped ticket machine or can anybody confirm if it is actually a Strata?

There appears to be a Mellor Strata tracking on the 901/906 today, which is rather odd. Don't think I've ever seen one on those routes. Tracking error/swapped ticket machine or can anybody confirm if it is actually a Strata?
The trackers are all messed up today. 3352 showed as 3341, for example.

G0105 I think was actually an E200MMC, one of 4200-4203.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There are 2 service cancellations through VOSA today:

• PM0000015/312 Cancelled​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Port Glasgow Bus Station to Kilmacolm Cross via Bogleston Roundabout
    Service number: 530
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 23 Jan 2023
  • PM0000015/106 Cancelled​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Stewart Street, Barrhead to Stewart Street, Barrhead via Barrhead Town Centre
    Service number: 52
    Service type: Hail & Ride

sannox

Was always a bit confused by the introduction of the 530, 40 minute services are awkward and it broke the link to Greenock. What's the option - back to extending the X7 or altering the 532 to Slaemuir?

voidwxrranty

Was always a bit confused by the introduction of the 530, 40 minute services are awkward and it broke the link to Greenock. What's the option - back to extending the X7 or altering the 532 to Slaemuir?
I'm going to guess they'll extend the X7 again, or as you highlighted, extend the 532. I think they would extend the 532, then have the X7 on an hourly service (like it used to be) to Port Glasgow & Greenock.

I'm going to guess they'll extend the X7 again, or as you highlighted, extend the 532. I think they would extend the 532, then have the X7 on an hourly service (like it used to be) to Port Glasgow & Greenock.
update to this, there was a variation to the X7 received on the 12th

Last edited:

sannox

X7 would make sense as night and Sunday runs are X7. Is X7 still run by Greenock anyway?

PaulMc7

Established Member
More changes have now came through:
  • PM0000015/221 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock, Earnhill Road to Port Glasgow
    Service number: 802
  • PM0000015/160 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock Bus Station to Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station
    Service number: X7
  • PM0000015/148 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Barrhead Station or Dykebar Hospital to Paisley Gauze Street via Todholm
    Service number: 66
  • PM0000015/300 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnstone, Cochranemill Road to Barrhead via Paisley
    Service number: 51A
  • PM0000015/85 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station to Greenock Kilblain Street via Port Glasgow
    Service number: 906

voidwxrranty

More changes have now came through:
  • PM0000015/221 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock, Earnhill Road to Port Glasgow
    Service number: 802
  • PM0000015/160 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Greenock Bus Station to Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station
    Service number: X7
  • PM0000015/148 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Barrhead Station or Dykebar Hospital to Paisley Gauze Street via Todholm
    Service number: 66
  • PM0000015/300 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Johnstone, Cochranemill Road to Barrhead via Paisley
    Service number: 51A
  • PM0000015/85 Registered​

MCGILL'S BUS SERVICE LTD
    Route: Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station to Greenock Kilblain Street via Port Glasgow
    Service number: 906
Yep, I noticed them, the X7 is likely now being extended to cover the 530 after the 23rd January.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yep, I noticed them, the X7 is likely now being extended to cover the 530 after the 23rd January.
It's probably the best way to do things to be honest. The 530 didn't really seem like a great idea at the time. I do wonder if it'll be busy in that section though. I've not been in that direction for a while but it's generally very car centric.

It's probably the best way to do things to be honest. The 530 didn't really seem like a great idea at the time. I do wonder if it'll be busy in that section though. I've not been in that direction for a while but it's generally very car centric.
As someone who uses the 530 on a frequent basis, there are certain journeys which get lots of people, but most get around 3-7. Moving those onto the X7 creates a comfier, roomier experience while also remaining fairly logical.

Let's hope the times don't screw me up too bad!

PaulMc7

Established Member
As someone who uses the 530 on a frequent basis, there are certain journeys which get lots of people, but most get around 3-7. Moving those onto the X7 creates a comfier, roomier experience while also remaining fairly logical.

Let's hope the times don't screw me up too bad!
The only issues I could see arising are the M8 can be dreadful now with how many cars there are and getting in and out of Braehead with the amount of traffic lights can be painful if you don't time them correctly. If they give it enough recovery time and balance out the journey time it should be okay.

Whenever I have been in Braehead and seen one they've hardly ever been that late in either direction.

The only issues I could see arising are the M8 can be dreadful now with how many cars there are and getting in and out of Braehead with the amount of traffic lights can be painful if you don't time them correctly. If they give it enough recovery time and balance out the journey time it should be okay.

Whenever I have been in Braehead and seen one they've hardly ever been that late in either direction.
On Fridays I rely upon the 1806 departure ex-Kilmacolm which is always a bit hectic having come from Glasgow

-Sometimes the 1752 shows up (going the slow way via Slaemuir) at 1806
-Sometimes the 1806 doesn't turn up until 1821
-Sometimes the 1806 runs on time and yet goes around the back of Slaemuir anyway behind the 1752
-Sometimes the 1821 is the first to arrive of the 3
-Sometimes have to figure out which bus goes through Slaemuir and which one doesn't
-Often however it can work fine

Can you see the problem?

PaulMc7

Established Member
On Fridays I rely upon the 1806 departure ex-Kilmacolm which is always a bit hectic having come from Glasgow

-Sometimes the 1752 shows up (going the slow way via Slaemuir) at 1806
-Sometimes the 1806 doesn't turn up until 1821
-Sometimes the 1806 runs on time and yet goes around the back of Slaemuir anyway behind the 1752
-Sometimes the 1821 is the first to arrive of the 3
-Sometimes have to figure out which bus goes through Slaemuir and which one doesn't
-Often however it can work fine

Can you see the problem?
I feel sorry for anyone relying on a service like that to be honest and it's an issue with services that do different things but don't have a letter or number variant. It doesn't really help passengers at all and keeps them guessing at every opportunity.

Stan Drews

Established Member
I can’t imagine they will replace a struggling minibus route with one using Citaros. I’d imagine the options will now be in the hands of SPT, who already support the evening and Sunday service.

I feel sorry for anyone relying on a service like that to be honest and it's an issue with services that do different things but don't have a letter or number variant. It doesn't really help passengers at all and keeps them guessing at every opportunity.
Don't get started on the time every bus driver didn't realise that my local bus stop (where I alight) was not simply closed but replaced. They went straight past for a few weeks until they realised it was a stop...

I can’t imagine they will replace a struggling minibus route with one using Citaros. I’d imagine the options will now be in the hands of SPT, who already support the evening and Sunday service.
The amount of people who don't realise the X7 is significantly slower than the 901/6 to Glasgow is, high...

PaulMc7

Established Member
Don't get started on the time every bus driver didn't realise that my local bus stop (where I alight) was not simply closed but replaced. They went straight past for a few weeks until they realised it was a stop...

The amount of people who don't realise the X7 is significantly slower than the 901/6 to Glasgow is, high...
That really isn't good at all to be honest. I must admit the one time I used the X7 into Greenock from Glasgow I forgot it was significantly slower. I knew it was a bit slower but not as much as it is.

That really isn't good at all to be honest. I must admit the one time I used the X7 into Greenock from Glasgow I forgot it was significantly slower. I knew it was a bit slower but not as much as it is.
Maybe a Linwood (for Glasgow) dest one way and a Kilmacolm (for Greenock) dest the other way. Could help a fair bit.

Stan Drews

Established Member

Other than the trips to/from Greenock depot at the start/end of the main day, the X7 only really runs between Greenock and Glasgow when the 901/906 doesn’t, so I’d be very surprised if there was any significant number of people who get on it by mistake, when they could catch a direct bus, …other than perhaps displaced rail passengers!

gnolife

Established Member
Other than the trips to/from Greenock depot at the start/end of the main day, the X7 only really runs between Greenock and Glasgow when the 901/906 doesn’t, so I’d be very surprised if there was any significant number of people who get on it by mistake, when they could catch a direct bus, …other than perhaps displaced rail passengers!
Sundays are the issue

voidwxrranty

Oh I can agree, same with at peak going the opposite direction, normally X7 drivers refuse you if you ask for Greenock and they tell you to take a 901/906, when by the time that sits in traffic etc at the airport, the X7 would be in Crosslee/Houston area.

kingston_toon

My bugbear is the 801/802/803 group of services. We all know *why* they are registered but there seems to be an assumption no-one will ever use them, so on the rare occasion I'm back up visiting friends and family and head out for one of these back to Gourock between 23:00 and 00:00, I literally have to stand out in the middle of the road waving my arms to get the driver to stop. Several have sailed right past me. I've not complained yet as I don't want to get the driver into trouble but the same care and attention should be taken with these services as the daytime routes.

markymark2000

On Moderation
My bugbear is the 801/802/803 group of services. We all know *why* they are registered but there seems to be an assumption no-one will ever use them, so on the rare occasion I'm back up visiting friends and family and head out for one of these back to Gourock between 23:00 and 00:00, I literally have to stand out in the middle of the road waving my arms to get the driver to stop. Several have sailed right past me. I've not complained yet as I don't want to get the driver into trouble but the same care and attention should be taken with these services as the daytime routes.
With respect but why complain on a forum about the buses not stopping but you won't complain to the company to ensure that the buses stop and pick up passengers. If they refuse to pick up passengers, the buses are illegally claiming taxpayers money.

100% it needs to be sent into the operator. Even if you don't say specifics which single out a driver, just say on a certain day, you tried to get the bus but many sailed past. Try to get a circular put out then so it doesn't happen again.

If it happens to you, it will happen to someone else.

Use the phone flashlight, driver told me to use it once if they couldn't see you easily

route101

Established Member
Are these like the services First used to run in Glasgow? I heard some people had the same problems using them. Drivers wont expect many to use them.

voidwxrranty

Are these like the services First used to run in Glasgow? I heard some people had the same problems using them. Drivers wont expect many to use them.
Yes, these are the same as First’s old 300/700/800 series routes, being just from the depot to a certain place (801 - Greenock, 802 - Port Glasgow & 803 - McInroy’s Point).

Stan Drews

Established Member
Yes, these are the same as First’s old 300/700/800 series routes, being just from the depot to a certain place (801 - Greenock, 802 - Port Glasgow & 803 - McInroy’s Point).
The 23D, 26A and 51A services perform the same function in Renfrewshire.