• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonT

It could be said that they have made Livingston a success by changing the way it operates, out with the service work which doesn't bring in revenue and bring in Flixbus and BrightBus which does.
I think what can be deduced is that West Lothian is reasonable bus territory for one bus operator providing the core network but not two in competition. The 1986 Transport Act for good or ill relieved bus operators from providing services (and journeys) they chose (for whatever reason) no longer to provide. If an operator chose to ditch something that was a great money spinner then another operator could step in and provide it commercially if it wished. If something that was ditched was a financial squib then the onus was/is 100% on the local council to judge whether there was/is a social need for its continued operation in which case the council could invite operators to tender for award of a contract to run it on its behalf. If the local council chose not to fund it e.g. because it was skint, that's not a matter for the bus operators to lose sleep over. If the fare-paying/pass-holding punters don't like it their quarrel is really with those who voted in the Thatcher government who deregulated the industry, despite the tendency of local politicians and occasionally council officials and sometimes bus enthusiasts to blame commercial bus operators for "unreasonable service cuts" and "making obscene profits" when the reality is that they are largely functioning with the deck of cards dealt to them back in 1986.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EnchantGaming

Are there many withdrawn/stored/derelict buses at Livingston that would need to be removed if the depot closes?
About 15 B7RLE’s and a couple of Streetlites, most of which are done in and some of which haven’t seen service in well over a year and are still in First West Lothian livery.

bobdoe

I think what can be deduced is that West Lothian is reasonable bus territory for one bus operator providing the core network but not two in competition. The 1986 Transport Act for good or ill relieved bus operators from providing services (and journeys) they chose (for whatever reason) no longer to provide. If an operator chose to ditch something that was a great money spinner then another operator could step in and provide it commercially if it wished. If something that was ditched was a financial squib then the onus was/is 100% on the local council to judge whether there was/is a social need for its continued operation in which case the council could invite operators to tender for award of a contract to run it on its behalf. If the local council chose not to fund it e.g. because it was skint, that's not a matter for the bus operators to lose sleep over. If the fare-paying/pass-holding punters don't like it their quarrel is really with those who voted in the Thatcher government who deregulated the industry, despite the tendency of local politicians and occasionally council officials and sometimes bus enthusiasts to blame commercial bus operators for "unreasonable service cuts" and "making obscene profits" when the reality is that they are largely functioning with the deck of cards dealt to them back in 1986.
Interesting that West Lothian is the most deprived out of Edinburgh and the Lothians yet it is the area with the most bus network issues.

GordonT

Interesting that West Lothian is the most deprived out of Edinburgh and the Lothians yet it is the area with the most bus network issues.
You tend to find that in areas of deprivation there is often limited funds left in the pot for councils to support public transport once health, education and housing have been prioritised. Bus operators are barely earning sufficient profit margins to reinvest in vehicle replacement let alone to "step in" and run loss-making services as if they were some sort of charity provider.

roadierway77

It's almost as if lack of access to transport is correlated with deprivation... there are obviously lots of factors that play into deprivation and it's not as simple as affluent areas always having better transport links, indeed there are many examples where interestingly the opposite is true, but there are numerous studies connecting poor public transport with deprivation through lack of access to opportunities. Those who are less well-off are less likely to own a car and thus more likely to rely on public transport, and when buses are trains are sporadic, infrequent and unreliable, it makes accessing employment and vital services more difficult, perpetuating poverty and deprivation.

Noticed on bustimes that most of the buses currently running in service from Livingston are mostly streetlites, E200 8055 and E300 8487 with eclipse urban 2303, E300s 8478/9/81/3/4 and E400MMC 8951 all not seen in service since 26th October. Are these buses now withdrawn from Livingston depot?

VioletEclipse

Noticed on bustimes that most of the buses currently running in service from Livingston are mostly streetlites, E200 8055 and E300 8487 with eclipse urban 2303, E300s 8478/9/81/3/4 and E400MMC 8951 all not seen in service since 26th October. Are these buses now withdrawn from Livingston depot?
Leaving West Lothian with almost purely the least comfortable buses they have, such quality service.

delt1c

Established Member
It could be said that they have made Livingston a success by changing the way it operates, out with the service work which doesn't bring in revenue and bring in Flixbus and BrightBus which does.
Do you live in the area

CN04NRJ

Established Member
These could be receiving luggage racks/being repainted for a rumoured "Bright Bus Express" operation to rival Lothian's Service 100 to Edinburgh Airport. I would assume they wouldn't receive luggage racks due to the already limited space but you never know.

"Rival - a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity."

Not sure a handful of E300s running infrequently could be considered a rival :lol: (this isn't a dig at you by the way!)

ScotRail158725

Established Member
SN62 AYJ? Do you mean 8492 - SN62 AUJ?
8492 was withdrawn about 6 months ago and has been parked at the back of Bannockburn since so its unlikely to be that

SN62 AYJ has been painted in all-over orange.
Pretty much confirms the earlier theory of these operating under Bright bus on a likely airport route

Last edited by a moderator:

Observer

8492 was withdrawn about 6 months ago and has been parked at the bakc of Bannockburn since so its unlikely to be that

Pretty much confirms the earlier theory of these operating under Bright bus on a likely airport route
Someone told me there was one painted in a depot last week and those I have asked certainly told me the route is happening.

Christmas

I don't see why they can't just use the Eastern Scottish brand for any potential airport service. Bright Bus Tours is just that, a tour brand.

stevenedin

I don't see why they can't just use the Eastern Scottish brand for any potential airport service. Bright Bus Tours is just that, a tour brand.
That would be nice but they have tainted it so much now. Maybe they are aiming the airport services at tourists using the tour buses. Possibly with joint ticket.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Whilst I don't have any objection to some competition on airport services I thought the airport had a minimum age requirement for vehicles which would make these too old?
There have been a few legal challenges in the past to some of these ‘restrictions’ and ‘exclusive’ deals at UK Airports, and they largely have no legal standing.

stevenedin

They should just be grateful that they are providing more links to the airport which should increase passenger numbers meaning that the airport will make more money.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
They should just be grateful that they are providing more links to the airport which should increase passenger numbers meaning that the airport will make more money.
I can see passengers being stolen from Airlink but not any new demand being created. It's supposedly meant to only serve Waterloo Place, Waverley Steps, Haymarket, Edinburgh Zoo and the Airport if I recall correctly, so links that already exist on the 100.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The only affect it will have money wise on the Aiport is a loss? More people using the bus = less people paying for parking = less revenue for the Airport. And people wont use the Airport more because theres an extra few buses between the City and the Airport if thats what your logic is hinting at

stevenedin

The only affect it will have money wise on the Aiport is a loss? More people using the bus = less people paying for parking = less revenue for the Airport. And people wont use the Airport more because theres an extra few buses between the City and the Airport if thats what your logic is hinting at
I never thought of the parking but they will make money from McGill’s for using the bus stop there.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Which would be countered by the loss of parking and drop off charges, it would be a loss

I don't think that a loss in revenue from airport parking charges is really going to be a concern for any prospective users of any new airport bus service. It's also irrelevant as far as this thread is concerned.

Voyager lad

The only real benefit of the new Airport service that I can see is the stop at Waverley Steps. St Andrews Square (for the Airlink 100) is only 2 mins away, but when people have got luggage they’ll always go for the convenient option - so I reckon anyone arriving by train into Waverley will just take the first bus they can find, which will be the Bright Bus Express

Status
Not open for further replies.