• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb66

Hopefully it goes to the park and ride, currently concession card holders don't have a non bookable free direct option from Ingilston P & R to the city centre (Tram only free for Edinburgh residents)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The only real benefit of the new Airport service that I can see is the stop at Waverley Steps. St Andrews Square (for the Airlink 100) is only 2 mins away, but when people have got luggage they’ll always go for the convenient option - so I reckon anyone arriving by train into Waverley will just take the first bus they can find, which will be the Bright Bus Express

When there's no more luggage storage or seats after a handful of people what will they do then?

It's a high passenger volume service, E300s are just not going to cut it. Coaches would have been much better but obviously that'd require investment rather than doing it as cheap as possible.

I suppose the E300s will have to be euro 6 upgraded now though!

NorthClyde320

Another day of mass cancellations and part journeys with the 23 badly hit, 16.32, 17.32, 18.32 and 19.32 ex Shotts all cancelled, but no doubt still getting paid as these are part supported. Imo McGills should face a heavy penalty once they finally exit West Lothian in December for all the disruption they have caused people since taking over from First, and for all First's faults it was never as bad at McGills have made it.

Baileygirl

Another day of mass cancellations and part journeys with the 23 badly hit, 16.32, 17.32, 18.32 and 19.32 ex Shotts all cancelled, but no doubt still getting paid as these are part supported. Imo McGills should face a heavy penalty once they finally exit West Lothian in December for all the disruption they have caused people since taking over from First, and for all First's faults it was never as bad at McGills have made it.
No buses to Shotts after 2pm today. How to they get away with this?

sannox

Private land, private road. If airport grants no access, who's going to pay that legal bill?

It is private land but not private roads - they have signs explaining distinction as you enter. Airport bylaws cover most roads acts.

Nevertheless, airports can't abuse a dominant position. This has been made clear in legal actions for example the High Court case of Arriva The Shires v London Luton Airport and others. Thus no access seems unlikely.

When there's no more luggage storage or seats after a handful of people what will they do then?

It's a high passenger volume service, E300s are just not going to cut it. Coaches would have been much better but obviously that'd require investment rather than doing it as cheap as possible.

People gravitate to other services available if full? Perhaps they are happy with busy low loading cheap buses?

Another day of mass cancellations and part journeys with the 23 badly hit, 16.32, 17.32, 18.32 and 19.32 ex Shotts all cancelled, but no doubt still getting paid as these are part supported.

I believe the supported payments aren't made if the journey doesn't operate.

Last edited:

stevenedin

I suppose the E300s will have to be euro 6 upgraded now though!

Maybe they are just starting out to test the water then will get newer or better cascaded buses if it takes off.

I agree, the mess and disruption they have caused since taking over from First is shocking.

delt1c

Established Member
After the way Mc Gills have treated West Lothian can only hope for Karma

Ricky Kane

8492 was withdrawn about 6 months ago and has been parked at the back of Bannockburn since so its unlikely to be that

Pretty much confirms the earlier theory of these operating under Bright bus on a likely airport route
8485 has been painted too.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenedin

I decided to take a run on the full route of the 26 this afternoon from Bathgate to Livingston North. I took down the number of passengers and counted 43 in total for the whole journey. You can see the numbers below:

Just after Fauldhouse 14

Arriving Livingston Centre 36

After Livingston Centre 40

Arriving St John’s Hospital 41

After St John’s Hospital 42

Livingston North Station 43

These are the numbers counting up so you’ll see the number of passengers in total by each point. There were some getting off in between but the busiest section I saw was West Calder to Livingston Centre. I also didn’t include any children under 5.

The journey was on 8951. I’m assuming that this journey made a loss with most using concession cards.

I don’t know if this is the right topic for it.

I’ve just seen an orange Enviro 300 passing through Kirkintilloch. Are these being painted at Ferrymill in Torrance by any chance?

Plus, are the interiors being refurbished?

If that hasn’t been done, I can only assume going up against already established bus services from the airport to Edinburgh city centre, that this new BrightBus is simply a cash grab?

Right or Wrong?

ChrisPJ

Has this airport service been confirmed or is it all just rumour and speculation at the moment? For all we know these buses could be getting deployed on some university shuttle or competition on the South Queensferry corridor.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Has this airport service been confirmed or is it all just rumour and speculation at the moment? For all we know these buses could be getting deployed on some university shuttle or competition on the South Queensferry corridor.
Drivers were told that this is what they would be doing.

Observer

The existing service drivers that were at Livingston Depot?

Spineless..
It's not exactly a well kept secret. Even drivers at Larbert know it to be the case, especially when the buses are getting painted there. Just waiting for the registration to be made, still nothing has shown up on that yet.

Whether you agree it to be the right call or not, clearly McGill's want drivers still to have work of some sort, especially if it can talk people out of not going to Lothian whose new services are limited in frequency anyway.
I’ve just seen an orange Enviro 300 passing through Kirkintilloch. Are these being painted at Ferrymill in Torrance by any chance?

Plus, are the interiors being refurbished?

If that hasn’t been done, I can only assume going up against already established bus services from the airport to Edinburgh city centre, that this new BrightBus is simply a cash grab?
Not sure if they are involved but there are other McGill's paint shops at Johnstone and Greenock. Could be the case they have offloaded some to Ferrymill to get more Bluebird repaints done though.

As for the interior I would assume the only thing that would be getting done to them is fitting of luggage racks and removal of some seats. I think the E400MMCs had some but not sure if they can be retrofitted to them.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It's not exactly a well kept secret. Even drivers at Larbert know it to be the case, especially when the buses are getting painted there. Just waiting for the registration to be made, still nothing has shown up on that yet.

Whether you agree it to be the right call or not, clearly McGill's want drivers still to have work of some sort, especially if it can talk people out of not going to Lothian whose new services are limited in frequency anyway.

Not sure if they are involved but there are other McGill's paint shops at Johnstone and Greenock. Could be the case they have offloaded some to Ferrymill to get more Bluebird repaints done though.

As for the interior I would assume the only thing that would be getting done to them is fitting of luggage racks and removal of some seats. I think the E400MMCs had some but not sure if they can be retrofitted to them.
I also emailed McGill's regarding it and they said 'We cannot provide any more information about this at this time' - also more or less confirming it.

I've noticed the City Swift branding has been removed from the website and some of the buses. I wonder why this is?

Last edited:

Ricky Kane

I also emailed McGill's regarding it and they said 'We cannot provide any more information about this at this time' - also more or less confirming it.

I've noticed the City Swift branding has been removed from the website and some of the buses. I wonder why this is?
I Think theres a Irish Company that owns City Swift Brand Name.

Photo Shows bus missing City Branding.

Stan Drews

Established Member

Might be related to…

or maybe the fact that some bus enthusiast complained Falkirk wasn’t a City. :lol:

Ridercross

Yes, City Swift is an Irish software firm that provides data analysis, timetabling etc services to several bus companies. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them unhappy at one particular bus company using the same name and trying to get them remove that name if possible.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Surely they need to go for recertification? A big investment in near end of life vehicles.

Cesarcollie

Surely they need to go for recertification? A big investment in near end of life vehicles.

Recertification (aka a VTP5) isn’t actually expensive. The bigger challenge is finding a slot with DVSA to look at it, which can take months……

roadierway77

Yes, City Swift is an Irish software firm that provides data analysis, timetabling etc services to several bus companies. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them unhappy at one particular bus company using the same name and trying to get them remove that name if possible.
Huddl Mobility Limited trades as CitySwift and owns the trademark. The trademark allows them to use it in the context of 'Bus transport services' along many others, so I assume McGill’s have been using the CitySwift brand without permission and illegally! There's no way that McGill's wouldn't have been aware of that when the brand was launched, which means they were probably hoping that they wouldn't be caught out.

Trademark info is here:

Observer

Recertification (aka a VTP5) isn’t actually expensive. The bigger challenge is finding a slot with DVSA to look at it, which can take months……
Can they not arrange it through their own MOT stations for that though? Larbert has one as does Livingston I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.