• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical Deferral - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jase1971

New to this site so hello everyone. I recently attended a medical as I have been successful in gaining employment with a small railfreight company as a Shunter/Train Dispatcher. Unfortunately, and rather stupidly, I disclosed a previous issue relating to depression and anxiety after a quite traumatic marriage breakdown. I passed in all other respects. Now my Doctor is being contacted to check on this. I'm quite worried about this as I am of sound mind but just went through a bad patch in my life. Nothing more. Honesty is NOT always the best policy is it??!!! Should I be worried?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Honesty is NOT always the best policy is it??!!

Yes it is. If you don't disclose something which they later find then you will be out on your backside before you know it.

If it really was just a patch and you are not liable to suddenly break down in the cab and try to top yourself then your doctor will hopefully confirm that.

jase1971

Ok, point taken but on this occasion I truly believe I volunteered more information than was needed. Is there an appeals process should I not be passed as mentally fit, for want of a better phrase?!!

The One

Ok, point taken but on this occasion I truly believe I volunteered more information than was needed. Is there an appeals process should I not be passed as mentally fit, for want of a better phrase?!!

You should be ok with medical if they pass you fit on the recent medical and you been honest and not taking any medication then you should be ok.i believe you have nothing to worry about they just contact your GP to see if you are still taking medication etc.
All the best I'm sure it be ok

RMTGuard

Think you will be fine bud. It is just normal process if you disclose anything. They would not view it as a negative that you disclosed.

ItchyRsole

Don't worry mate.

I'm sure it's a very common thing a lot of people have experienced.

I'm certain you'll be ok.

scotsman

Established Member
One in four have a mental health issue at some point in life, just saying

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This is normal procedure. They just want your GP to confirm what you said, that it was in the past and you have recovered. They aren't trying to catch you out, it's exactly the same as using references to confirm your employment history.

Danastle1992

New to this site so hello everyone. I recently attended a medical as I have been successful in gaining employment with a small railfreight company as a Shunter/Train Dispatcher. Unfortunately, and rather stupidly, I disclosed a previous issue relating to depression and anxiety after a quite traumatic marriage breakdown. I passed in all other respects. Now my Doctor is being contacted to check on this. I'm quite worried about this as I am of sound mind but just went through a bad patch in my life. Nothing more. Honesty is NOT always the best policy is it??!!! Should I be worried?

What happened in the end? Did you pass your medical?

Status
Not open for further replies.