• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical Redeployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

energol

Hi does anyone know if you go on a salary sliding scale if you are Medically redeployed? Can't seem to get a straight answer from ASLEF or my HR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Can't seem to get a straight answer from ASLEF or my HR.

Seriously ? thats insane.

Ours is clearly laid out in the terms and conditions. Have you checked your DRI/Terms/Handbook etc? Which TOC ? Someone might be at the same TOC as you.

energol

ScotRail. I think I probably will but would just like a definitive answer.

Efini92

Established Member
Get hold of the ASLEF lead officer for Scotrail, they’ll be able to give you a copy of your DRI.
It is quite strange the local reps don’t know the answer.

CJK64

I Guess it depends on which company you work for.
From my experiences - If you get medically redeployed via the stood off process, you should remain on your existing salary. If that salary is higher than the new role you are given, the likelihood is you will not receive annual pay increases until your salary is in line with the role salary.

driver9000

Established Member
This will be in your conditions of service. You should be able to get a copy from your manager, HR or local union rep. I'm amazed that no one in the company can give you an answer to this as it will be agreed and written down.

BloominMan

I Guess it depends on which company you work for.
From my experiences - If you get medically redeployed via the stood off process, you should remain on your existing salary. If that salary is higher than the new role you are given, the likelihood is you will not receive annual pay increases until your salary is in line with the role salary.

This is what I understand too.

Red Devil

I'm aghast that ASLEF can't answer this. Ask your company council member or as others have suggested, lead officer.
If you believe that you may have to be medically restricted then you need to find out ASAP. This and I don't exaggerate here is something that could cost you 1000's depending on the answer.
So make those phone calls

choochoochoo

Established Member
Please repost this as an individual thread if it might be more appropriate as a different discussion.

Does anybody know if drivers can get a 'loss of medical' insurance. I speak to pilot friends who say they can get a policy for cover if they lose their medical, but wondered if this was something other drivers have looked at or got ?

Red Devil

Please repost this as an individual thread if it might be more appropriate as a different discussion.

Does anybody know if drivers can get a 'loss of medical' insurance. I speak to pilot friends who say they can get a policy for cover if they lose their medical, but wondered if this was something other drivers have looked at or got ?
This "insurance " is included in my terms and conditions.
If I become medically restricted I can find another position, eg. Booking office or gateline staff and I will keep my current pay. Granted there will be no pay increase until such time as the new jobs salary is on a parity with mine.
Any RDW or Sunday work is on a driver's hourly rate and not the new positions rate

choochoochoo

Established Member
This "insurance " is included in my terms and conditions.
If I become medically restricted I can find another position, eg. Booking office or gateline staff and I will keep my current pay. Granted there will be no pay increase until such time as the new jobs salary is on a parity with mine.
Any RDW or Sunday work is on a driver's hourly rate and not the new positions rate
Those are excellent Ts and Cs. Hopefully it's the same at my TOC. Will need to check with my LLR

bluesfromagun

My understanding is that with ScotRail, you will go on a sliding scale after 12 or 24months, however there is a floor level of that salary that you will never drop below. So if you start out on £51500, after a year it might drop to £46k, another year £41k, and then remain at that regardless of what your new job is. You still get an annual pay rise of whatever is agreed by the company, 3% or whatever, same as everyone else.
I'm told its a pretty good agreement, as they go.
Your LLC should really know though, it's a fairly common occurrence.

Established Member
One operator, Northern Spirit had an ex-driver medically redeployed to cleaner on agreement - 'no annual pay rises until those on cleaner grade catch up with him'.

It would have taken about 38 years. His colleagues spray painted his sweeping brush gold :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.