• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Meldon Quarry TRAIN MIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in Yeoford, the last station before a branch goes off toward Okehampton and the Dartmoor Railway (only services running from Tarka to branch are freight services), I usually see 66-hauled EWS or Freightliner trains pulling through after Coleford Junction by Yeoford, but, a couple of nights ago, in the pouring rain, hauled by three 66's, EWS, Freightliner and First GBRf all in one! The latter I have never seen on the route before, and on the way back, the EWS broke down just short of the main bridge.

Does anybody know anything more about joint haulings between these three, or is this just a one off?

PS

In November, an Adelante two-carraige (power units) train replaced the usual Sprinters and Pacers, a very odd combination, for four services between Exeter St Davids - Barnstaple.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Of that last note, many people denied it was possible, but I saw it with my own two eyes! In fact, with the unpopularity of Adelante's on mainline routes, and Virgin no longer willing to buy them ever since they lost the XC contract, Adelante's may be the future of the Tarka... who knows?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
180s cant be split. They need all vehicles to function correctly.

Darandio

Established Member
Was it just a dream? My first question would be why the 180s would have the carriages removed. Surely more hassle than actually sending the full rake.

devon_metro

Established Member
Besides the point, Can't imagine they are allowed to go to Barnstaple, and last time I was up there, Barnstaple was not a 125mph mainline railway!

trains2

Living in Yeoford, the last station before a branch goes off toward Okehampton and the Dartmoor Railway (only services running from Tarka to branch are freight services), I usually see 66-hauled EWS or Freightliner trains pulling through after Coleford Junction by Yeoford, but, a couple of nights ago, in the pouring rain, hauled by three 66's, EWS, Freightliner and First GBRf all in one! The latter I have never seen on the route before, and on the way back, the EWS broke down just short of the main bridge.

Does anybody know anything more about joint haulings between these three, or is this just a one off?

I think that was also possibly a dream...

EWS and Freightliner each run their own stone trains down this line to Meldon. GBRf have no business there at all so have no reason to run there. The only time a GBRf loco has run down to Meldon was for the diesel gala in October, which was 66725.

How long was the EWS loco broken for? Surely if it had TWO other locos with it they could've just used those to get the train moving again...? The more likely explanation is the train 'waiting' for the SLW token onto the Barnstaple line at Crediton.

kestrel

Living in Yeoford,

In November, an Adelante two-carraige (power units) train replaced the usual Sprinters and Pacers, a very odd combination, for four services between Exeter St Davids - Barnstaple.
Of that last note, many people denied it was possible, but I saw it with my own two eyes! In fact, with the unpopularity of Adelante's on mainline routes, and Virgin no longer willing to buy them ever since they lost the XC contract, Adelante's may be the future of the Tarka... who knows?

Total garbage! the 180's would never be split and put into service, they are designed to run as a 5 car unit and not to be split, bsides the fact that they are not even passed for the line! dream on!

As for the 66's you could get 2 companies engines on one train to save a path but 3 and in both directions nah i think you need to stop drinkin the jungle juice!

thefab444

Established Member
This has got to the be the most unbelievable sighting report I've read since the one about the POLICE 47 on Mark 1s with a Hanson 59 on the back! I wonder who posted that? :roll:

Virgin were never going to buy the 180s anyway, they might've been considering leasing them perhaps, but even so the rumours are/were stronger regarding Hull Trains and First Scotrail/Transpennine Express.

Number 1 - I mean when the EWS broke down upon return, it was on it's own with no other 66's

Number 2 - I definately saw an Adelante. I AM NOT KIDDING. My friend is getting a profile on here soon, he'll confirm who saw it with me!

Number 3 - Somebody said "the Barnstaple line isn't 125mph". Neither is many parts of line!
I am 100% positive about this Adelante thing. It's just like, back in the 80's, an HST went through on the Barnstaple line, I've got a picture of it.
I have no proof about the Adelante thing, but I have got proof for the HST that operated on the Tarka on 18 march 1990.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As I have said earlier Adelante cannot be split so you must have seen something else.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can believe the HST as they can run short-formed and has happened in the past

ok. right, im gonna do some research, and try and find some evidence on the net about a special working.
Was it just a dream? My first question would be why the 180s would have the carriages removed. Surely more hassle than actually sending the full rake.

The full rake wouldn't fit on half the platforms on the Tarka.
I'm writing to First Great Western to see if they reply with an answer as to weather there was a 180 on the Tarka recently; or ever.

Although I'm sure I saw the Adelante, I don't know why they'd have a shortage of trains, they seem to have so many regional ones now, including those unrefurbished TransPennine Express ones with first class remaining; are TPE planning to take these back or something?

T

Tom

An Adelante is not a rake of coaches - it's a semi permanently coupled 5 coach diesel multiple unit. It is possible for coaches to be removed but it has never been done - and never will be.

There never has been a 180 on the Tarka line, you probably dreamt it. The TPE 158s that FGW have will be refurbished for FGW. TPE won't be getting them back as they have 185s.

trains2

Are you sure you are not mistaking a 180 for something else?

This is a 180:

Adelante_Bridgend.jpg

The only thing remotely similar would be a refurbished 158. Other than that you need to get your eyes tested mate because a 180 has never worked down to Barnstaple, I doubt they're even cleared by NR!

PS. please post the picture of the HST you have, so we can all be proven wrong...
I am 100% positive about this Adelante thing. It's just like, back in the 80's, an HST went through on the Barnstaple line, I've got a picture of it.

Sorry, re-reading this bit. You stated somewhere else on this forum that you are a teenager. Unless you don't know what the word teenager means that makes you a maximum age of 19, which means the earliest you could've been born was 1988. "Back in the 80s" means 1980-1989. So you telling me, if you are a teenager, that you were out photting at the age of 1 year old ?

:scratch:

thefab444

Established Member
Although I'm sure I saw the Adelante, I don't know why they'd have a shortage of trains, they seem to have so many regional ones now, including those unrefurbished TransPennine Express ones with first class remaining; are TPE planning to take these back or something?

Haven't we had those TPE ones for ages now?! Bit slow on the uptake, and no FGW don't have so many "regional ones" now, as a lot of them have been taken away by the DafT. Hence the hiring of two London Midland 150s, and the dreaded 142s. Anyway, I don't care how 100% positive you are about the Adelante, it didn't happen.

PS, Sulzy, this is an interesting quote from the suicides thread...

As a 13-year-old kid

Is your name Fred, support-uk-rail?

I didn't say I witnessed the HST in which is in fact 1990.

I said I've got a picture of it approaching Copplestone.

I cannot post the picture up here, I do not know how, BUT, it's published in a book called THE POWER OF THE HST's by Colin J. Marsden.

westcoaster

Established Member
not knowing this line or the traction cleared for it, (brainwave) but for the launch of fgw they hired a couple of 2 car 158's from fsr, now these migt have been what you saw, as they are painted the same as the 180's, going by what others have said im sure it was not an adelante you saw

devon_metro

Established Member
I didn't say I witnessed the HST in which is in fact 1990.

I said I've got a picture of it approaching Copplestone.

I cannot post the picture up here, I do not know how, BUT, it's published in a book called THE POWER OF THE HST's by Colin J. Marsden.

Good old Colin.

Its probable that an HST has made it, but a 180 certainly hasn't.

There have also been no workings of interest to Barnstaple since... Probably the kettle in August 2006

Kettle?

Colin seems to be something of a legend within the rail community.

THE POWER OF THE HST's by Colin J. Marsden. Page 85, bottom right. Led by power car 43099 on behalf of Hertfordshire Rail Tours.

Does anybody know what 43099 is doing now? Scrapped?

devon_metro

Established Member
He will only venture out in good weather/when a special train is due.

He could be found anywhere really, although I've met him a number of times.

I have quite a few complaints about the Adelante

1 - Inreliability. Around 90% of the times I travel to Westbury on a Friday a 180 is used. However, once, the coach I was in began spewing smoke before departure out of St Davids. We had to evacuate to another carraige.

2 - Smell. Same complaint as on the Voyager, and I think Pendalino. Toilet sewage! Yummy!

3 - Closed in-ness: On most of these new trains, and all the pathetic attempts at the next HST, with electric doors and no openable windows, it makes you feel really cramped

4 - The annoying announcements when approaching a station and departing, which seem to last 10 minutes each!

thefab444

Established Member
180s are a lot better inside than 220/221s.

The announcements are funny, though the voice is hardly regional.

First Great Westun welcum you aboard dis!!!! LUNDUN PADDINGTUN... zervice. Callingat! Swindun, IDCUT POKWAY, Reading, Sl-OW!, and, Lundun Paddingtun. Fost Class accomdation is located in carriage B. Safety cards are located near your seat. A quiet zone is in carriage F, please respect fellow passengers when using this.. coach. The next.... s-stopis Swindun.

I'd rather have a 180 than a HD-HST, for comfort anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.