• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Melton Mowbray to Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi guys my partner needs to get from melton mowbray to Southall as cheaply as possible this coming tuesday. She has a 16-25 railcards. ideally wanting to change at Leicester. cheers all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
One way journey?

Returning the same day or a different day?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

sonic2009

Established Member
Times you
wish to leave Melton Mowbray & Wish to return from Southall please.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Whatever times will be cheapest so off-peak preferably leaving melton on the first off-peak train and returning as hopefully (if poss) befor the evening peak

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
When is the latest she is willing to arrive into London?

The cheapest option I can find is

Melton Mowbray - Nuneaton
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Day Return
£10.55 Y-P Restriction BX

plus

Nuneaton - London Terminals
Route London Midland Only
Super Off-Peak Return
£13.20 Y-P Restriction LK

Total: £23.75

Use Oyster to get to/from Southall.

With this combination she is permitted to travel on the 1033 from Melton Mowbray and change onto the 1202 from Nuneaton, arriving London Euston at 1349. The only realistic return journey is the 1829 from London Euston, which connects into the 2052 from Nuneaton, getting back to Melton Mowbray at 2133.

A more flexible alternative is

Melton Mowbray - Nuneaton
Route Any Permitted
Anytime Day Return
£12.60 Y-P

plus

Nuneaton - London Zones 1-6
Route London Midland Only
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
£20.45 Y-P Restriction SK

Total: £33.05

This would allow her to travel on the 0733 from Melton Mowbray, connecting into the 0902 from Nuneaton, arriving London Euston at 1049. There is no evening restriction leaving London Euston with the last departure being the 1829 mentioned above.

If she wants to have an earlier arrival at / later departure from London Euston, she can purchase

Nuneaton - London Terminals
Route Direct
Off-Peak Return
£25.10 Y-P

instead, which would be valid on the 0846 Virgin service from Nuneaton (arr London Euston 0952). The last departure from London Euston is the 1907. She will need to use Oyster to get to/from Southall.

Going down the Midland Main Line, there is a large number of options. For example:

Melton Mowbray - Wellingborough
Route Any Permitted
Anytime Day Return
£12.00 Y-P

plus

Wellingborough - Luton Airport Parkway
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Day Return
£12.50 Y-P Restriction B1

plus

Luton - London Zones 1-6
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Day Travelcard
£13.20 Y-P Restriction LS

Total: £37.70

This allows your girlfriend to take the 0733 from Melton Mowbray, changing onto the 0833 from Leicester and then the 0935 from Wellingborough (or changing at Kettering), arriving London St Pancras at 1029. A more convenient option is to get the train an hour later from Melton Mowbray and from Leicester so that a further change is not necessary.

She cannot return from London St Pancras between 1630 and 1901, with the last service before the evening peak at 1600, changing onto the 1723 at Wellingborough (or changing at Kettering), and then onto the 1818 from Leicester, arriving 1833. The only realistic service after the evening peak is the 1930, changing onto the 2118 from Leicester, arriving 2133.

The issue with splitting this way is that it severely restricts her options as only one service out of four per hour between Leicester and London St Pancras stops at Kettering and stations south thereof. The saving compared to a through ticket

Melton Mowbray - Southall
Route +Via Leicester
Super Off-Peak Return
£37.90 Y-P Restriction CI

is not much although it does allow her to arrive London St Pancras a little earlier than 1129 and she would not have to pay separately going to/from Southall.

If she needs to travel back in the evening peak then if you let me know, provided that she is happy to arrive London St Pancras after 1129, I can PM you a combination which costs £38.75, as opposed to having to pay for Anytime fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.