• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Memory Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxman

Hi

I'm a trainee driver. The training has been quite enjoyable so far, if occasionally a bit challenging.

One recurring irritation is that it's sometimes hard to remember a modified speed aspect. For instance, I might come across a track sign restricting me to 100 km/h on a stretch under repair. However, after stopping at stations and dealing with the associated distractions, I may forget about the applicable restriction.

What techniques do you use to remember modified signal aspects or other restrictions? I was even looking at buying some coloured lights or stickers - but I'd love to hear some other suggestions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

The key thing is; you could have a number of tools to aid you and still mess up. So you must find something that works for you.

Risk triggered commentary is one. Say the relevenat speed restriction/signal when stopping and before moving. Take your time during the dispatch process and getting the train up to speed. You can open a few notches up when taking power then try and recall any restrictions before whacking the desk open.

A friend of mine uses a chalk/pen on the speedo for his car length. You could do the same. This wipes off easily.

Read your PDP. That is full of tips and advice. Usually written by leading drivers.

Ask colleagues

What tips has your DI given you in the handling stages?
During your handling stages, this is the time when you are becoming disciplined with the DRA, recalling speed restrictions/changes, etc. You will find it will become easier as you progress through your handling.

paxman

Thanks - some great tips there!

They tend to assign trainees to the more complex routes (lots of topographical variation with inconsistent lengths and stopping patterns) on older locomotives, so trying to recall changing aspects on top of all that can be a tall order.

Risk-triggered commentary is encouraged by trainers, but I especially like your friend's use of nothing more elaborate than chalk. That's definitely thinking outside the box!

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

class 9

Sorry to be pedantic, it what is a modified speed aspect? It's not a term I've come across in 25 years of driving.
I think you're getting your terminology wrong, I think you might be referring to Temporary speed restriction warning board, also railway speeds are in MPH.
As mentioned above,commentary driving does help, I don't know the latest instructions about using the DRA? That could be used to remind you after a station stop, but only do that if your company instructions allow that.

driver9000

Established Member
Sorry to be pedantic, it what is a modified speed aspect? It's not a term I've come across in 25 years of driving.
I think you're getting your terminology wrong, I think you might be referring to Temporary speed restriction warning board, also railway speeds are in MPH.
As mentioned above,commentary driving does help, I don't know the latest instructions about using the DRA? That could be used to remind you after a station stop, but only do that if your company instructions allow that.

I suspect the OP is not a UK trainee.

The use of the DRA is laid down in the Rule book and reminding of a speed restriction is not one of the occasions to use the DRA. The OP may not have DRA in their country either.

axlecounter

I agree especially with one thing: really - really - take your time during dispatch and while taking power. And saying out loud the speed before stopping also may help a lot.

class 9

The use of the DRA is laid down in the Rule book and reminding of a speed restriction is not one of the occasions to use the DRA. The OP may not have DRA in their country either.

Sorry, I didn't realise that we had international members, although this is a sub section of UK Railway forum!!
Regarding DRA, I've not been a passenger driver since 2001, and we don't have DRAs on freight locos.

paxman

Indeed, I am not a UK driver.

After Googling DRAs, I must say that they seem like a terrific idea. However, they aren't used here as older drivers are very resistant to any device or procedure that could be seen as reducing skill levels (and thus pay).

I'm going to experiment discreetly over the next few weeks with different strategies, including a small chalk board, and see what works best. Risk-based commentary sound especially powerful, though most qualified drivers here scorn it.

Again, thanks for all the helpful replies.

baz962

Established Member
Indeed, I am not a UK driver.

After Googling DRAs, I must say that they seem like a terrific idea. However, they aren't used here as older drivers are very resistant to any device or procedure that could be seen as reducing skill levels (and thus pay).

I'm going to experiment discreetly over the next few weeks with different strategies, including a small chalk board, and see what works best. Risk-based commentary sound especially powerful, though most qualified drivers here scorn it.

Again, thanks for all the helpful replies.

Where do you drive may I ask out of interest.

tlionhart

I’ve had a read over what I have written. To be disciplined with the DRA, It was in reference to signals and not speed restrictions. Also, as the OP is not from the UK, you can disregard what I’ve said about the DRA. It’s more specific to those of UK passenger trains.

Dieseldriver

Personally, what works for me is pointing at certain things and saying things out loud. I do this for Emergency/Temporary Speed Restrictions, cautionary signals etc. Also, if I pass a single yellow I will also say 'red ahead' and will hold the brake handle in a certain way until that red comes into view as a reminder.
It really is a case of working out for yourself what works for you though and thinking about these suggestions and how/if they would work for you.

SPADTrap

Established Member
'Post it note' at the maximum permissible speed on the speedo is one I've heard.

axlecounter

The DRA is a device specifically designed to remember something after a stop at a station (which is a typical SPAD situation), isn't it?

ComUtoR

Established Member
The DRA is a device specifically designed to remember something after a stop at a station (which is a typical SPAD situation), isn't it?

The DRA is the 'Drivers Reminder Appliance' It lights up red when you press (set) it. What it also does is cut the power to the motors.

We have specific situations to set it but all are because you have stopped at a Red.

Stop at Red signal - Set the DRA
Stop at the buffers (they have reds on) - Set the DRA
Leave the Cab - Set the DRA
Stop at a station, with no start signal after arriving on a single yellow - Set the DRA

Status
Not open for further replies.