• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Cl507/8 internal refresh research

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersi

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well given the way the south east is being left out for transport investment I wouldn't blame you for being a bit put out.
The problem is not a north south problem
If the procurement of stock was done in a sensible way they would put a order in to replace both as they have one design would suit the service with the mooregate trains being dual voltage.

Unfortunately rail procurement seams to be run on pet project basis.

So if tfl take over a line it gets new rolling stock
When there should be a proper rolling stock replacement program bases on age and where capacity is required

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eps200

Just my 2p on the livery, use the same yellow in the livery as is used on the front and back of the train, the shift in colour looks very silly.

8J

The first unit to receive its new "wrapped" livery will be 507011. It is in the depot with it being applied as we speak. It looks very yellow on the parts that it has been applied on. I believe that the interior work will commence later this year, but not sure when.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Which depot is applying the new colours - Kirkdale or Birkenhead? I might pop along to try and get a peek.

8J

Its Birkenhead North depot :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I tried to get a picture today when passing, but unfortunately recently overhauled 508130 is in the way!!! :(

I will describe what I can see through the depot windows.

It is a lively livery with pictures of activities that people around the area like to do. The main colours are yellow and white. The doors are white with Merseyrail "M"s on each door.

Looks a lot smarter than current livery that's for sure!

baldyman26

Some Pictures of the new livery on Maarten Spaargaren's twitter page..It's certainly different,very corporate, looks more like a giant advert than a livery but it looks good.

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
As mentioned above, these are said pictures.

One side...
Bf3adv9IAAAc1oz.jpg

The other side...
Bf3an4dIYAAKHo2.jpg

capital12

Article from Liverpool Echo today said new livery and interior features to be unveiled in the coming weeks. The cost of the project is £8.5 million. £5.5 million subsidised by Angel Trains and £3 million from Merseyrail.

The article also did mention that they are being "wrapped" to prevent body corrosion and that it is still undecided whether by the end of the decade, the fleet will be replaced or extensively reworked...

Interesting stuff... :D

Interesting that they have decided to wrap them to 'prevent' body corrosion but First Great Western have stopped wrapping and just use paint as the wraps were apparently causing corrosion!!

WestCountry

Interesting that they have decided to wrap them to 'prevent' body corrosion but First Great Western have stopped wrapping and just use paint as the wraps were apparently causing corrosion!!
PEP stock is aluminium; all of FGW's is steel. The latter corrodes badly with moisture - as when water is trapped under vinyls - whereas aluminum forms a layer of oxide and doesn't corrode much after that unless it's scratched off (or because of electrolytic corrosion).

Aegir

I like these, and Its about time too, the "M" logos are always peeling away from the current livery.

8A Rail

Established Member
Simply bloody awful! Giant advertising boards still using mostly the silver background! Not exactly inspirational!

prod_pep

Established Member
507011 and 507017, the first two recipients of the new livery, entered service today on the Ormskirk and Chester routes respectively.

In the flesh, the livery isn't too bad, although the different colours for each side is a bit of a naff idea. The yellow is quite 'loud' but brings back memories of the previous Merseytravel liveries. A definite improvement over the tired and completely dull older livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.