• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Skie

They surely have years of data on how often that happens, and wouldnt they have produced spares assuming that a lot more 777s would be in service by now?
The “years” of data is one unit running up and down with Stadler staff onboard and a driver manager driving. The testing and mileage accumulation isn’t a patch on actually running them in service, it just proves they are safe and don’t have defects that need fixing immediately.

I haven’t done the math but I’d bet that the units running in service now will have, combined, done more mileage and hours than all the testing so far. It’s very hard to replicate real world, revenue service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
The “years” of data is one unit running up and down with Stadler staff onboard and a driver manager driving. The testing and mileage accumulation isn’t a patch on actually running them in service, it just proves they are safe and don’t have defects that need fixing immediately.

I haven’t done the math but I’d bet that the units running in service now will have, combined, done more mileage and hours than all the testing so far. It’s very hard to replicate real world, revenue service.
i meant years of data on how often the headlights and wipers of the old trains got broken by exterior factors. And unless those parts are a new design for these trains they should know how often they fail.

Pacef8

If someone told me it would take 3 years i would not of believed them . Teething problems is a bit of a lame excuse now and i can only think of two people who have to answer.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Already :rolleyes: usually you hear about cannibalisation of parts toward the end of train classes, not at the start.
No. I have had to wait ages to get certain new units in service. This was in BR days and there seemed to be a bare minimum of spares. Once a unit started losing some parts to stablemates it then became a "Christmas tree". Usually this was a unit that had such a significant fault to mean that it was easier to rob it of parts for other unitsthan to fix it.
I know it may sound extremely silly, why cannibalise one when simply put another one in traffic! You only need three on the Kirkby line but you have 18 in total. No one is going to tell me not one of those is not fit for traffic as I assume some of those Units have already put in the mileage already. A very sad state of affairs already in the early days of entering traffic.
I expect they are robbing parts of a unit that has done the minimum of fault free miles.
Some people have short memories. Remember 333009(?) anyone? Or 141001 which never worked in service until after refurbishment?
Thanks for that - I was scratching my head, I think a 465 was very inactive in its early years ?.

Roger B

No. I have had to wait ages to get certain new units in service. This was in BR days and there seemed to be a bare minimum of spares. Once a unit started losing some parts to stablemates it then became a "Christmas tree". Usually this was a unit that had such a significant fault to mean that it was easier to rob it of parts for other unitsthan to fix it.

I expect they are robbing parts of a unit that has done the minimum of fault free miles.

Thanks for that - I was scratching my head, I think a 465 was very inactive in its early years ?.
466036 was cannibalised for spares, and spent a long period of time out of use at Slade Green in the mid nineties.

I finally managed to see it at Slade Green on 12/08/96 - more than a year after I'd seen the rest of the class - courtesy of a very kind man at Slade Green who allowed me to stick my head round the corner of the depot door to catch a glimpse.

How times change!

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
It was wiper (motors) that caught CAF out on the 195s and 331s so it doesn't surprise me to find similar catching out Stadler. Apparently the rain comes as a surprise to some in the NW

Ribbleman

All very well saying their's 18, but how many have them done fault free testing & been cleared for passenger service?

The 777s need at least 500 miles of fault free testing, before being cleared for passenger service.
As of last November all of the 777s that were in the UK, 17 I think at that time, had completed the 500 miles of fault free running.

8A Rail

Established Member
As of last November all of the 777s that were in the UK, 17 I think at that time, had completed the 500 miles of fault free running.
So assuming that is correct, then gets back what I stated previously, why just not put another Class 777 into traffic if one has an issue or something rather than robbing parts off another, which then makes that Unit unservicable!

In the mean time, with 777005 and 014 arriving at Kirkdale, this leaves 777002 and 006 remaining at Crewe.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001, 003, 004, 005, 007, 008, 009, 010, 012, 013, 014, 015, 016, 018, 049 and 140.
Crewe C.S. = 002, and 006

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So assuming that is correct, then gets back what I stated previously, why just not put another Class 777 into traffic if one has an issue or something rather than robbing parts off another, which then makes that Unit unservicable!

In the mean time, with 777005 and 014 arriving at Kirkdale, this leaves 777002 and 006 remaining at Crewe.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001, 003, 004, 005, 007, 008, 009, 010, 012, 013, 014, 015, 016, 018, 049 and 140.
Crewe C.S. = 002, and 006
The donor 777 must have had something harder to fix than robbing a part for another 777.

Thanks for the update of where the 777s are. With less at Crewe this makes me wonder - has the supply of 777s from Stadler slowed-down/stopped ?.

Sam 76

The donor 777 must have had something harder to fix than robbing a part for another 777.

Thanks for the update of where the 777s are. With less at Crewe this makes me wonder - has the supply of 777s from Stadler slowed-down/stopped ?.
There’s now 6 units in Southport sidings now as well. 003,004,010 and 012 are the numbers I’ve got not sure on the others

Bow Fell

Because you’ve chosen to believe what you’ve been told about 777015 being true! 777015 is longer term out of service but nothing to do with it being robbed for spare parts!

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
Because you’ve chosen to believe what you’ve been told about 777015 being true! 777015 is longer term out of service but nothing to do with it being a Christmas tree.

I did use the word 'assuming' in my last reply, so clearly more to it than meets the eye. I prefer to see the 'real' picture. Thank You.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
There’s now 6 units in Southport sidings now as well. 003,004,010 and 012 are the numbers I’ve got not sure on the others
Yes, Southport, which is not Crewe. The Southport sidings are being treated as Kirkdale because the 777s seem to regularly and freely move between them.

Sam 76

Yes, Southport, which is not Crewe. The Southport sidings are being treated as Kirkdale because the 777s seem to regularly and freely move between them.
Yeah sorry if I didn’t make it clear I was just adding it as a note of interest for people wanting to know where they are on the network :)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yeah sorry if I didn’t make it clear I was just adding it as a note of interest for people wanting to know where they are on the network :)
No probs. Can be useful if someone can keep on top of the comings and goings at Southport Sidings.

Liverpool 507

003, 004 & 010 are in Birkdale Sidings. Where are the other three being kept?
No probs. Can be useful if someone can keep on top of the comings and goings at Southport Sidings.
I’ll be there on Saturday so will be happy to update!

Sam 76

003, 004 & 010 are in Birkdale Sidings. Where are the other three being kept?

I’ll be there on Saturday so will be happy to update!
There was 012 one next to 003 and 2 more units stabled in the main sidings going towards Central 12 and Asda :)

Last edited:

Ribbleman

There was 012 one next to 003 and 2 more units stabled in the main sidings going towards the Asda :)
It’s probably worth clarifying for those unfamiliar with the line that Birkdale Sidings are not in Birkdale, but are just outside Southport station throat. (And if you want Royal Birkdale Golf Club, that’s not in Birkdale either. Get off at Hillside. It’s much nearer.)

Crossforth

Established Member
It appears there are no 777s in service again today. The Kirkby line appears to be being worked by 507033, 508126 and 508115.

Sam 76

My guess would be another software update maybe ? If they come back and are more reliable than before that would be handy