• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The default setting for the screens remains 3 car service, 4 car has to updated manually at present. Just an oversight.

I can vouch for this. Last week, I was waiting at Liverpool Central for what was displayed as a 3-car service to Chester, but it was actually a 777.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Didn’t someone say they weren’t allowed to turn trains back at Kirkby anymore?

I believe it was said that 777s go to battery at Fazakerley and turn there if doing so fails as if it sits down completely it isn't blocking the single line, but a 3 car 50x can go to Kirkby as there is some third rail on the platform.

mcnw35282

I don't think they can anymore you know.

As I remember it, when the third rail was cut back within Kirkby station there was a temporary arrangement put in place where 50x were allowed to turn back at Kirkby, but had to obtain permission from the signaller first. This arrangement was withdrawn once through running to Headbolt Lane commenced.

prod_pep

Established Member

As I remember it, when the third rail was cut back within Kirkby station there was a temporary arrangement put in place where 50x were allowed to turn back at Kirkby, but had to obtain permission from the signaller first. This arrangement was withdrawn once through running to Headbolt Lane commenced.
Things may have changed very recently, but 507/8s have been used in lieu of the 777/1 Headbolt Lane service on several occasions since it opened. The most recent example was on 03/11/23 when 508141 was used on an hourly Liverpool Central - Kirkby service.

jamesst

At present the arrangement remains in place to turn back at Kirkby during disruption. When the service (eventually) increases to 15mins the agreement will end and any faulty units will turn back at Fazakerley.

Established Member
I notice they’re having fun on the HBL-LVC line again this morning…‍
Oh yes.

I was on the first one, left about 8 late. Failed at Fazakerley and had to do a full reset, which took quite some time. Then terminated at Sandhills, to find out the other 777/1 had also failed at Headbolt Lane and hadn't left yet. That left about 25 late and also terminated Sandhills.

greeny11

Not a great start to the WK line switching to all 777s. Departure board says there is a 3 car train out, and all the others are running with significant delays. My train is already 8 minutes late and it’s just left West Kirby!

Update: had 777020 which has been hit by graffiti on one side of the train. First ride on a 777 since August - much as I remembered; quieter and smoother than the old trains, but the seats are hard. Also, something I didn’t notice last time is that there is not much legroom in the double seats.

Last edited:

KevinTurvey

At Liverpool Central today (I think it was 049) with its lights off departed empty "out of service" at about 4:15, don't know where this had come from or what the problem was. A few minutes later the Ormskirk train (probably 011) was also taken out of service with a possible door fault

MR-507508

At Liverpool Central today (I think it was 049) with its lights off departed empty "out of service" at about 4:15, don't know where this had come from or what the problem was. A few minutes later the Ormskirk train (probably 011) was also taken out of service with a possible door fault
777049 was likely this ECS run from Rock Ferry

L401CJF

Established Member
777049 clogging up the Chester/EP lines as we speak at Eastham Rake with a door camera fault on Ellesmere Port 2Y27. Semi fast 507 on Chester 2C46 stuck behind in between stations, and the following Ellesmere Port 2Y28 stuck behind that at Bromborough Rake.

Been there at least 15 mins so far, all already previously delayed due to power supply issues on the underground.

Traksy screenshot shows the 3 services listed above, occupying 3 consecutive blocks.

(Edit to add unit number and report now terminated at Hooton and become 5Y27, presume back to depot)

Edit edit - 777036 now failed on Chesters too with a tripcock fault and will terminate at James Street on 2C48

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228_190613_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_190613_Firefox.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

NeoJade

Believe the permission from the signaller was just to assure everyone that there wasn't any units on test trying to get there way back from HBL, and also so they could transition to the times they were required to for 777/1 intergration.