• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Liverpool 507

If units (777s) have to be stored at Butchers Sidings, I wonder if they will be dragged from Kirkdale up to Southport or brought directly from Dollands Moor via Wigan?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chiltern trev

My guess is you deliver to Kirkdale (the customers delivery address) as before, formally check ok after transit and then sort out storage issues after successful receipt at Kirkdale. To deliver elsewhere starts muddying the water if units are found to 'have a problem' at a later time if delivered elsewhere, e.g. was it caused by delivery in transit from Europe or the new storage location? [note - I am not connected with the project but managed projects/contracts before retiring.]

Then move a unit at a time under own power to Southport P3 and then drag into the non-electrified sidings.

Liverpool 507

Without drifting off topic, if the 777 units needed to be stabled there, there would need to be some commissioning of Butchers sidings because they haven’t been used since 1994 since Sandhills IECC opened.

MR-507508

Butchers sidings at Southport seems likely as they were tidied up and the buffer stops painted earlier this year.
I think it would be a risky move to start storing the brand new units there. I think it's one of the prime locations for tagging of the present units with graffiti during overnight stabling at Southport.
As the link I posted earlier highlighted, possibly they are preparing these sidings ready to store (and maybe set up some sort of maintenance base at Southport) for the 14 or so 507/508 units which may need to stay on the network a little longer, until the platform lengthening and signal works take place on the Southport-Hunts Cross line.

Trains Trains

I think it would be a risky move to start storing the brand new units there. I think it's one of the prime locations for tagging of the present units with graffiti during overnight stabling at Southport.
As the link I posted earlier highlighted, possibly they are preparing these sidings ready to store (and maybe set up some sort of maintenance base at Southport) for the 14 or so 507/508 units which may need to stay on the network a little longer, until the platform lengthening and signal works take place on the Southport-Hunts Cross line.

Last edited:

TheSel

Without drifting off topic, if the 777 units needed to be stabled there, there would need to be some commissioning of Butchers sidings because they haven’t been used since 1994 since Sandhills IECC opened.

Aren't these two messages contradictory? How can the present units be being 'tagged' there if the sidings have not been used for 26 years?

MR-507508

Aren't these two messages contradictory? How can the present units be being 'tagged' there if the sidings have not been used for 26 years?
I am referring to the central sidings at Southport, which are currently used to store 507/508 units overnight and off-peak. Correct me if I am wrong, but Butchers sidings are alongside the central sidings?

MR-507508

Pretty sure they will be Storing at Southport. As Stadler are contracted to deliver units by certain dates the trains will keep coming, even though the network may reach capacity. Southport won't be a maintenance depot at all. Birkenhead North will stay for the 507/508s and Kirkdale will be for the 777s. kirkdale is not a maintenance depot for 507s either, the only maintenance facility for 507/508s is North. Worth noting that Viva rail will also be untilising North soon for the modified 230s
North is the main maintenance depot for the current fleet, they do have wheel lathe at Kirkdale though which is used as part of the maintenance of the current units.

Wherever they are stored, I am sure Stadler and Merseyrail has a very detailed plan for the new units, including their storage.

The unit capacity is much lower at North and will be reduced further if other classes of trains will also be utilising the depot. What will the 230s be using North depot for-just using the wash plant which is being built?

Trains Trains

There was talk last year of them having to possibly set up a base at Southport for storage and maintenance of a small number (14?) of class 507/508 units they will have to retain for longer than originally predicted (possibly until 2022) on the Southport-Hunts Cross line until the work was undertaken to modify the platform lengths and signals due to issues caused when the 777s are used in an 8 car formation.

Anyone heard any further update on when these works to platform lengthening and signal moves may take place?

Last edited:

MR-507508

The storage yes which will be Butchers sidings but definitely not maintenance. This will just be carried out as per current plan utilising Birkenhead North. The 14 unit will all be 507s. Plans are for next year with thenayform lengthening. Network rail are currently going through all the sub station upgrades to ensure the third rail can cope with the increased current draw
Any idea on what unit numbers the 14 which stay on maybe?

Skie

I wonder if the plans to expand Kirkdale to the south will be dusted off any time soon? Would assume that’s one of the reasons why Stadler chose to make it their main base.

Any idea on what unit numbers the 14 which stay on maybe?
Those with the most mileage left before they are due an overhaul!

prod_pep

Established Member
Worth stating that more or less all the Wirral Line stabling locations carry a risk of graffiti, especially New Brighton I'd suggest. It is definitely not just Southport where units are vandalised. Even Birkenhead North depot has had attacks in the past when units had been left outside overnight.

Having said that, compared with graffiti rates elsewhere in the country, particularly London, Merseyrail's problem is minor.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Having said that, compared with graffiti rates elsewhere in the country, particularly London, Merseyrail's problem is minor.

There's a definite north south divide on graffiti - relatively little up north, lots down south. Curiously Germany is the opposite way round - barely a surface without any in Hamburg, almost none in southern Bavaria.

prod_pep

Established Member
Just to add and apologies for straying a little off-topic, it seems to be the same with window etching. Merseyrail's 507/8s have never had laminated glass due to the low levels of window etching up here. You see it occasionally but it is uncommon. Compare that with the 313s and 315s in London which were absolutely blighted by etched glass before both classes had a full laminated glass replacement in the noughties.

It will be interesting to see if they have opted for laminated glass on the 777s.

Ploughman

Established Member
Worth stating that more or less all the Wirral Line stabling locations carry a risk of graffiti, especially New Brighton I'd suggest. It is definitely not just Southport where units are vandalised. Even Birkenhead North depot has had attacks in the past when units had been left outside overnight.

Maybe the paint cost is too much in the North.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There's a definite north south divide on graffiti - relatively little up north, lots down south. Curiously Germany is the opposite way round - barely a surface without any in Hamburg, almost none in southern Bavaria.

Goes with the friendliness of the people. Southern Germans are more like Northern and SW Brits.

When is the next 777 due to steer things back on topic?

delt1c

Established Member
Loved the Old 502's and 503's , 507's and 508's were reliable and efficient but never quite ticked the boxes for me. Will be interesting to try the 777's and see how they fare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trains Trains

North is the main maintenance depot for the current fleet, they do have wheel lathe at Kirkdale though which is used as part of the maintenance of the current units.

Wherever they are stored, I am sure Stadler and Merseyrail has a very detailed plan for the new units, including their storage.

The unit capacity is much lower at North and will be reduced further if other classes of trains will also be utilising the depot. What will the 230s be using North depot for-just using the wash plant which is being built

Last edited:

Trains Trains

The unit capacity is much lower at North and will be reduced further if other classes of trains will also be utilising the depot. What will the 230s be using North depot for-just using the wash plant which is being built?

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Can't wait to be able to travel to friends in Bromborough with air-conditioning all the way (331 Heaton Chapel to Manchester Piccadilly, same platform change for the North Wales 175 or Mk4 set then over the bridge in Chester for a 777 up to Brom).

DJH1971

Established Member
Can't wait to be able to travel to friends in Bromborough with air-conditioning all the way (331 Heaton Chapel to Manchester Piccadilly, same platform change for the North Wales 175 or Mk4 set then over the bridge in Chester for a 777 up to Brom).

So the 777's have aircon?