• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Am I being dim.....where is the power coming from, I thought these were third rail?

Meerkat

Established Member
They are. I don't however see a third rail there! I wonder...temporary batteries?

Can’t see a pantograph....would they attach an extension lead to a shoe just to test it in the shed?
You do get to see both ends so don’t think it could have been pushed, but it seems a bit quiet- sounds a bit uniform rather than changing as motors etc go by....

Are these still due to have windows between the passenger and drivers cab right behind their head? How did that get past ASLEF?

jamesst

Are these still due to have windows between the passenger and drivers cab right behind their head? How did that get past ASLEF?

Its misted over when the drivers key is in. If that doesnt work then the train wont move. Which hopefully means over time the window will be taken out!

Meerkat

Established Member
Seeing as trains used to have see-thru cabs, and bus drivers operate in public view, what are ASLEFs objections?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Seeing as trains used to have see-thru cabs, and bus drivers operate in public view, what are ASLEFs objections?

I suspect it's best put this way: Merseyrail's demographic is not the same in terms of behaviour as a rural branch line with a 2-car Class 101 every hour or two.

Or put simply: the scallies will spend half their life banging on it and distracting the driver.

Its main purpose was to improve the feeling of personal safety had DOO been implemented by making the driver visible. Now DOO is off the agenda, they might as well just stick a bit of black sticky backed plastic over it on the cab side (so the scallies can't peel it off).

Having said that, as many scallies live in Manchester and travel (usually without paying) on Metrolink, and that has glass cabs.

jamesst

I suspect it's best put this way: Merseyrail's demographic is not the same in terms of behaviour as a rural branch line with a 2-car Class 101 every hour or two.

Or put simply: the scallies will spend half their life banging on it and distracting the driver.

Its main purpose was to improve the feeling of personal safety had DOO been implemented by making the driver visible. Now DOO is off the agenda, they might as well just stick a bit of black sticky backed plastic over it on the cab side (so the scallies can't peel it off).

Having said that, as many scallies live in Manchester and travel (usually without paying) on Metrolink, and that has glass cabs.

Couldn't of put it better myself!

TH172341

Can see why drivers would not want to be particularly on view constantly to the saloon as would feel like very much like your privacy has gone and have eyes behind watching constantly. The frosting effect sounds a good workaround.

Midland Metro has the see through glass on the Urbo 3s and the old T69 stock had a contravision effect too. Not seen anyone bang on the glass but sure it inevitably happens from time to time.

Its misted over when the drivers key is in. If that doesnt work then the train wont move. Which hopefully means over time the window will be taken out!
If it frosts over when the train is operation what on earth is the point of it?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The fact that it's too costly to change the spec (I recall the electronic frosting was already specified so it could go opaque if the brake was put into emergency to prevent passengers witnessing a fatality, so changing it to any time the key is in was a minor software mod)? Sticking black plastic over it wouldn't cost much though, and is what was done on an awful lot of 14x and 15x where the blinds on the cab doors got broken.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Can see why drivers would not want to be particularly on view constantly to the saloon as would feel like very much like your privacy has gone and have eyes behind watching constantly. The frosting effect sounds a good workaround.

Midland Metro has the see through glass on the Urbo 3s and the old T69 stock had a contravision effect too. Not seen anyone bang on the glass but sure it inevitably happens from time to time.
I don't know of any trams in the UK which don't have see-through glass. The front seats tend to be very popular!

Many German U and S Bahn trains have see-through glass either heavily tinted or with blinds to cut out reflections at night. In the latter case drivers appear happy to keep the blinds open during the day.

Chris125

Established Member

If it's only the front cab then passengers will still be able to see out the back of the train which should prove popular for parents trying to distract bored kids.

M28361M

Another update posted by Merseytravel on their Twitter page (follow this link to see some pictures)
The first of the brand new trains for the @merseyrail network has reached 75 mph at the test track in Wildenrath, Germany

Hopefully with decent acceleration they will actually regularly reach close to that speed on Merseyrail. I think bits of the Chester line are 70mph linespeed now?

trainmania100

Established Member
Theres a return barrier move path in for Thursday from Kirkdale CS to Dollands Moor GBRf. Guessing its following for the first merseyrail 777.
No northbound path as yet but the below link says the schedule was created last night so guessing it wont be long before we see a northbound 777 move path in.
https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train/?c=R01955&d=19/12/2019

Considering the return barrier move is at departure of 0356am, I am assuming the departure from Dollands Moor the night before will be at a quite reasonable time, no idea how long it would take to get to Kirkdale

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hopefully with decent acceleration they will actually regularly reach close to that speed on Merseyrail. I think bits of the Chester line are 70mph linespeed now?

Yes, 70 is permitted going out to Chester, most of the network is 60 max though

M28361M

Theres a return barrier move path in for Thursday from Kirkdale CS to Dollands Moor GBRf. Guessing its following for the first merseyrail 777.

Is the first unit delivery coming all the way by rail then, through the Channel Tunnel? Could the French strikes cause any delay?

d9009alycidon

The Glasgow Blue trains in their original form had windows between the passenger saloon and cab, and those trains passed throuh some low life areas. The simple solution for driver privacy was the provision of blinds, these were frequently pulled down after dark as the light from the passenger saloon would reflect off the windscreed and detract the driver (that and the occasional "performance" of randy couples who thought they couldn't be seen)

Ribbleman

No northbound path as yet but the below link says the schedule was created last night so guessing it wont be long before we see a northbound 777 move path in.

Considering the return barrier move is at departure of 0356am, I am assuming the departure from Dollands Moor the night before will be at a quite reasonable time, no idea how long it would take to get to Kirkdale

This is shown as having a trailing load of 715 tons leaving Kirkdale, reducing to 600 tons from Warrington. How are these figures derived?

trainmania100

Established Member
This is shown as having a trailing load of 715 tons leaving Kirkdale, reducing to 600 tons from Warrington. How are these figures derived?

The timing load is how the schedule is made. The timings use the 715 tonne load or 600 tonne load as an idea of how the train will keep to the timings with the load it has or what train type it is (for units, it would say timing load 700 for desiro).
I can only assume it says that on RTT because the timetable from that point on was modified to reflect a lighter load, but can't see why they'd drop barriers off at Warrington as that's the reason the return is going to dollands moor in the first place lol

trainmania100

Established Member
Showing as cancelled now, but seeing as there was paths in in the first place, it would be a safe assumption that the delivery is not far off.

M28361M

I can't see them doing a move during Christmas week so I suspect it will be the new year before we see a 777 on Merseyside now.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Wikipedia still has these as entering service "2020 onwards" so in that respect I guess they're still on schedule?