• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pacef8

There was a night run back and forth between bidston and west kirby that seemed to stay on time unlike the bache that fell an hour behind.

valleyquay

Its my personal opinion. Hideous doesn't come close they are a whole new kind of ugly, but what do I care I don't have reason to use them.
I'm also not convinced the people of Merseyside will be quite so happy to get trams instead of trains, the current fleet and service is pretty popular up there overall.
aye im sure my disabled friend is going to absolutely hate being able to board step free.

and the acceleration? god that's only going to make people sick!

py_megapixel

Established Member
They're not trams. "METRO" is just a name. People don't rubbish the Volkswagen Beetle because it's a "glorified insect", do they?

And even if they were, would it really matter?

8A Rail

Established Member
Just to clarify to some members, as far as I am aware, they are Class 777 electric multiple units, classed as trains and not as trams regardless of their appearance.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_777

As for acceleration, other than a few people who from experience have suggested they are quicker, everyone else has no idea how fast they accelerate. Wait until you ride one become jumping to conclusions. :lol:

Established Member
Or rubbishing GW unit services that used to be worked by 43s?
What about the services formerly operated by Pacers which are now operated by short HSTs?
As for acceleration, other than a few people who from experience have suggested they are quicker, everyone else has no idea how fast they accelerate. Wait until you ride one become jumping to conclusions. :lol:
I have actually been on one from Southport to Birkdale (nearly a year ago now and the acceleration out of the curve was absolutely phenomenal. I can only imagine what it’s like on a straight piece of track. I should have asked to do Birkdale to Hillside or Ainsdale instead for the full effect.

Liverpool 507

aye im sure my disabled friend is going to absolutely hate being able to board step free.

and the acceleration? god that's only going to make people sick!

I think it’s great these trains are making access step free (between train and platform). It should be standard across the national network.

Other classes (331, 80X, FLIRTS) are like muck off a shovel which is a good thing.

karlbbb

Merseyrail have announced the closure of Liverpool Central (Northern Line) on 6-9 November "as preparations are made for the introduction of the new fleet of Class 777 trains". Are we safe to presume this is the lengthening of the reversing siding? "Line side equipment" is also mentioned - moving of signals?

Last edited:

Liverpool 507

Merseyrail have announced the closure of Liverpool Central (Northern Line) on 6-9 November "as preparations are made for the introduction of the new fleet of Class 777 trains". Are we safe to presume this is the lengthening of the reversing siding? "Line side equipment" is also mentioned - moving of signals?

Blocks are being extended. 20 min timetable for Southport and Ormskirk line starting and terminating at Moorfields, Kirkby starting and terminating at Sandhills. Buses for Hunts Cross line.

Correct karlbbb - or rather the removal of the trap points on the reverse siding to make headroom & relocation of signals on the siding & in the platforms.

Vespa

Established Member
Looks like the introduction of the new trains is not far off now, it took nearly two years plus since they arrived, they sat around Kirkdale and Crewe for that long.

trainophile

Established Member
What about the services formerly operated by Pacers which are now operated by short HSTs?

I have actually been on one from Southport to Birkdale (nearly a year ago now and the acceleration out of the curve was absolutely phenomenal. I can only imagine what it’s like on a straight piece of track. I should have asked to do Birkdale to Hillside or Ainsdale instead for the full effect.

Given that they are apparently designed for less seated and more standing passengers, is high acceleration on curves going to be safe when it's crowded? Are there hanging straps? Sorry not caught up with this thread for the last 100 pages or so, forgive me if already discussed, which I'm sure it has been.

karlbbb

Looks like the introduction of the new trains is not far off now, it took nearly two years plus since they arrived, they sat around Kirkdale and Crewe for that long.
As far as we can see, ASLEF haven't agreed terms for the drivers on the new trains, let alone the drivers even starting their training. I'm not sure how quickly they can train enough people for the new trains.

If they did it line-by-line, they'd still need a fair few staff who would then be Ormskirk/Kirkby/Southport line only for a little while, as anyone needing to cover a sickness/absence by a 777 driver would also need to be 777 trained.

Geeves

Established Member
It will probably take a week for each driver to sign off on 777s with a mixture of class room and practical handling somewhere on the network. I think it was 3 or 4 in a group for 195s at Northern. Once the traction is signed you can drive them anywhere you sign.

Last edited:

Skie

It will probably take a week for each driver to sign off on 777s with a mixture of class room and practical handling somewhere on the network. I think it was 3 or 4 in a group for 195s at Northern. Once the traction is signed you can drive them anywhere you sign.
They also have a simulator which can help speed things along quite nicely when hands on time might be constrained. Groups in the sim and classroom whilst others are out getting hands on in the available slots.

ExRes

Established Member
It'll be interesting to follow the logistics of delivering the 777s while the old stock is still being used, I wouldn't imagine there will be enough space for both fleets to be in Merseyside at the same time so can delivery and type conversion be staggered enabling both types to be in use together? presumably storage facilities somewhere between Dollands Moor and Merseyside would be the ideal. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that RailAdventure have been warming up two pairs of power cars and the barrier vans

Razorblades

Given that they are apparently designed for less seated and more standing passengers, is high acceleration on curves going to be safe when it's crowded? Are there hanging straps? Sorry not caught up with this thread for the last 100 pages or so, forgive me if already discussed, which I'm sure it has been.

I've not seen the finished article, but having been involved in the design/ spec process at the outset, I've no doubt that they are compliant to all the relevant Railway Group Standards (or whatever they are called now - ENs?).

317 forever

Established Member
They're not trams. "METRO" is just a name. People don't rubbish the Volkswagen Beetle because it's a "glorified insect", do they?

And even if they were, would it really matter?
Likewise, people don't rubbish the Beatles for having a name that looks like the plural of a misspelt insect. :lol:

8A Rail

Established Member
It'll be interesting to follow the logistics of delivering the 777s while the old stock is still being used, I wouldn't imagine there will be enough space for both fleets to be in Merseyside at the same time so can delivery and type conversion be staggered enabling both types to be in use together? presumably storage facilities somewhere between Dollands Moor and Merseyside would be the ideal. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that RailAdventure have been warming up two pairs of power cars and the barrier vans

There is limited space in Merseyside for stabling of EMU's and at the moment, I think Merseyrail are unable to bring anymore Class 777's to the area, hence Crewe being used. As and when ASLEF agree with Merseytravel (may be soon I hope) about operation of the Class 777's then I think you will find in due course as one Class 507 / 508 is withdrawn, a Class 777 will arrive in the area. When the ball starts rolling, I am sure the Class 777's in Poland and Switzerland will start arriving too. As for the movement of the Class 777's unless there has been a change of contract, DB Cargo forwarded the last batch of Class 777's from Dollands Moor to Walton Old Junction, then ROG (Rail Operation Group) done the other moves in /out WOJN, Merseyside and Crewe and don't think the latter has changed for future moves.

Skie

I think the plan at one point was once the Kirkby diagram is switched over to 777s then the “spare” 507/8s will be used to temporarily strengthen other diagrams as 6 cars. Anything then hitting its mileage or needing repairs would be straight off to scrap. More 777s will then be dragged to Kirkdale to be prepped for the next diagram with old units being withdrawn to ensure enough space on the depot.

It’s probably going to be lots of moving units around for a while, should be fun!

MattRat

On Moderation
I think the plan at one point was once the Kirkby diagram is switched over to 777s then the “spare” 507/8s will be used to temporarily strengthen other diagrams as 6 cars. Anything then hitting its mileage or needing repairs would be straight off to scrap. More 777s will then be dragged to Kirkdale to be prepped for the next diagram with old units being withdrawn to ensure enough space on the depot.

It’s probably going to be lots of moving units around for a while, should be fun!
As far as I'm aware, it keeps swapping between them doing the Kirby line first, and them doing the Ormskirk line first.

danbarnstall

Spoke to a Guard today on my way to Sandhills (Soccer bus) who said a deal has been put to Aslef and recommended By their EC. Voting is due to begin shortly by Drivers.

They wouldn’t divulge the contents of the deal but a positive move that would indicate the 777s are not too far away from service now.

ExRes

Established Member
There is limited space in Merseyside for stabling of EMU's and at the moment, I think Merseyrail are unable to bring anymore Class 777's to the area, hence Crewe being used. As and when ASLEF agree with Merseytravel (may be soon I hope) about operation of the Class 777's then I think you will find in due course as one Class 507 / 508 is withdrawn, a Class 777 will arrive in the area. When the ball starts rolling, I am sure the Class 777's in Poland and Switzerland will start arriving too. As for the movement of the Class 777's unless there has been a change of contract, DB Cargo forwarded the last batch of Class 777's from Dollands Moor to Walton Old Junction, then ROG (Rail Operation Group) done the other moves in /out WOJN, Merseyside and Crewe and don't think the latter has changed for future moves.

Thanks for the info @8A Rail what made me mention the power cars is that RailAdventure/SLC have been doing the 'recent' moves between Crewe and Kirkdale rather than ROG so I was wondering if they'll carry on with that portion, assuming the 777s are delivered via Crewe for any work needed unless they can be sent Dollands Moor to Merseyside in one move

warwickshire

On Moderation
Thanks for the info @8A Rail what made me mention the power cars is that RailAdventure/SLC have been doing the 'recent' moves between Crewe and Kirkdale rather than ROG so I was wondering if they'll carry on with that portion, assuming the 777s are delivered via Crewe for any work needed unless they can be sent Dollands Moor to Merseyside in one move
Yes from a very reliable source of mine Rail Adventure will be doing the moves with x4 Rail Adventure power cars.
With every now and then a swap of x2 power cars each way to eastleigh for maintenance. From Kings Norton if all goes to plan driver training and reliability wise. The first and a good few 507 508 scrap movements will be around early February unless a fault occurs or high on mileage. However that is subject to change. Rogs do have the scrapping moves to Newport though. Unless a better deal can happen elsewhere.
Also due to Rail Adventure owing the power cars they don't want the expensive hire of the 20s. So the 20s are pretty much gone. Unless a the power cars become suddenly unavailable.
However the moves from Rail Adventure will be the power cars and barriers.