• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Assuming single set formations for when the 507/508s ruled the roost, I think I had calculated a long time ago that it was 36 sets in total that was required for the normal service which was as follows:

Southport - Hunts Cross =10
Ormskirk - Liverpool Central =5
Kirkby - Liverpool Central =3
West Kirby - Loop =5
New Brighton - Loop =4
Ellesmere Port - Loop =3 (standard 30 min frequency. 6 for early AM/early evening when 15 min frequency)
Chester - Loop =6

As there are as at present 53x Class 777s, it does give some leeway in coupling a pair of 777s for some diagrams, as well as taking into account the possible future extensions post HS3/Northern Powerhouse Rail Hunts Cross - Warrington Central, and Ormskirk - Burscough/Preston.

53 seems a strange number of 377s to build. Would it have been better to have gone for a round figure of 60 so as to reduce production costs, as it would be going into economies of scale similar to printing i.e. the more that is produced, the cost per unit would decrease?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

karlbbb

Assuming single set formations for when the 507/508s ruled the roost, I think I had calculated a long time ago that it was 36 sets in total that was required for the normal service which was as follows:

Southport - Hunts Cross =10
Ormskirk - Liverpool Central =5
Kirkby - Liverpool Central =3
West Kirby - Loop =5
New Brighton - Loop =4
Ellesmere Port - Loop =3 (standard 30 min frequency. 6 for early AM/early evening when 15 min frequency)
Chester - Loop =6

As there are as at present 53x Class 777s, it does give some leeway in coupling a pair of 777s for some diagrams, as well as taking into account the possible future extensions post HS3/Northern Powerhouse Rail Hunts Cross - Warrington Central, and Ormskirk - Burscough/Preston.

53 seems a strange number of 377s to build. Would it have been better to have gone for a round figure of 60 so as to reduce production costs, as it would be going into economies of scale similar to printing i.e. the more that is produced, the cost per unit would decrease?
Ormskirk requires 6 and it’ll be 4 needed for Headbolt line so another 2 needed in standard formations.

Bow Fell

The numbers required are irrelevant for now. Once the full 777 fleet are in the whole timetable will be rewritten to take into account the 777’s acceleration. I’d expect 2024/2025 a full recast.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Ormskirk requires 6 and it’ll be 4 needed for Headbolt line so another 2 needed in standard formations.
Yes. Ormskirk increased from 5 to 6 when Maghull North was opened, and the timetable had to be adjusted.

karlbbb

I was on 002 this morning and it played the Eurovision welcome message after departing Sandhills :D think that unit needs updating, and it's not the only one!

Will the (proposed) opening of Liverpool Baltic in 2027 require an extra unit on the Southport-Hunts Cross services, or is it likely it could be squeezed in with existing numbers thanks to the 777's acceleration?

The_Train

Established Member
I was on 002 this morning and it played the Eurovision welcome message after departing Sandhills :D think that unit needs updating, and it's not the only one!
I don't have 002 as having entered service before - is today its first time out with pax?

karlbbb

I don't have 002 as having entered service before - is today its first time out with pax?
I couldn't say for sure, I've been off work for a couple of weeks; I personally hadn't seen 002 before today though. There was also a train going in the opposite direction that was a number I don't recall having seen before either, but I've forgotten it. If you pushed me for a number, it may have been 011.

I was on 2G22 which was 002 and the train going in the opposite direction would have been 2O03 if anyone closer to ME has access to check the units that ran, just to confirm!

When I was on my trip over to Liverpool a few hours ago, a 777 I assume on a test run or driver training passed 508125 which I was on at the time, however, when I noticed the 777 it was in the tunnel having passed through Conway Park on its way to either New Brighton or West Kirby.

I do not know which 777 it was but it was but it was roughly around 13:08 when I spotted it.

prod_pep

Established Member
777002 is on the Kirkby line this morning, dispelling the claim that the foreshortening of the third rail at Kirkby would preclude 777/0s from operating there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
777002 is on the Kirkby line this morning, dispelling the claim that the foreshortening of the third rail at Kirkby would preclude 777/0s from operating there.

I read that on Twitter and was quite surprised, but it does seem it has only been cut back to half of the platform - is more coming off later, or is that it? If so it might prevent double but not single sets. The safety thing was not wanting units with shoes energised past the platform, wasn't it?

If that's so, presumably the reason for reversing a train that can't change over at Fazakerley rather than Kirkby is so it doesn't block the single line waiting at Kirkby rather than anything to do with the third rail? Shame the project didn't have enough funds to redouble Kirkby.

Skie

Removing half the length in the platform stops there being any chance of the traction return current being fed into the non electrified section and frying the signalling. It’s a bit of extra safety too, but that’s just a bonus.

777/0’s can still use the platform in 4 car formations as they have the ability to rescue themselves with their depot batteries if they manage to make a hash of stopping in the right place. Though pretty sure it won’t be common once the /1’s have been accepted into service.

samrammstein

777002 and 777049 are on the Kirkby line today.
Services back to Liverpool running with 2Fxx headcode.

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_130309147.jpg
    IMG_20230814_130309147.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20230814_125739182.jpg
    IMG_20230814_125739182.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:

nw-sparks

I had a jolly to Kirkby today, I must say I was a bit disappointed not to get some battery haulage so it looks like the ban on third rail power beyond Fazakerley was tosh.

Having said that, I notice the timetable database shows a traction change at Fazakerley so no one's told the schedulers! http://charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/livetrain/S48848/14/08/23

I notice the posters at Kirkby say "From 14 August normal timetable", I hope this week's 2 tph isn't the new normal.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I had a jolly to Kirkby today, I must say I was a bit disappointed not to get some battery haulage so it looks like the ban on third rail power beyond Fazakerley was tosh.

It seems to me that it's more likely that they don't want an unable-to-change-over unit getting to Kirkby as then you'd either need to send it back early or leave it blocking the line until it was due to go back, both of which would cause disruption due to the single line. Or if it sits down completely, even worse.

karlbbb

Seems a couple of 777s went pop today. 2O01 this morning (fortunately replaced is it becomes 2G22 that I get). The 1546 from Central - Ormskirk was cancelled, and the 1601 was running as 507/508.

prod_pep

Established Member
The 1601 was running as 507/508.
508131 is the unit in question, seen on the journey after, the 1731.

Three of the five booked Southport line pairs were short-formed this afternoon and some Kirkby services are caped due to staff shortage too, so a very poor show all around.