• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
One's just been taken off the Ormskirk line but not mentioned on Twitter/X or the Merseyrail status page.
A few from yesterday that I've been sent over by a friend.

777023 PIS Fault and dispatch issue
777030 excessive WSP
777031 wiper fault
777018 CCTV fault
777003 CCTV fault
777148 power changeover fault
777018 unable to take power
777012 unable to obtain brake release

karlbbb

777030 excessive WSP
777031 wiper fault
777018 CCTV fault
777003 CCTV fault
Most of these are understandable but a CCTV fault does not feel like a reason to pull/not run a service.

Looks like 507015 has just been put on Ormskirk runs. Caught a glimpse going past at Sandhills and it showed as 5O25 having changed from a 5Txx headcode out of Bank Hall.

L401CJF

Established Member
Most of these are understandable but a CCTV fault does not feel like a reason to pull/not run a service.

Looks like 507015 has just been put on Ormskirk runs. Caught a glimpse going past at Sandhills and it showed as 5O25 having changed from a 5Txx headcode out of Bank Hall.
I believe a CCTV fault means the train can't be dispatched as it usually relates to the bodyside DOO cameras. I'm sure it was mentioned that some CCTV faults also cause the doors to refuse to open.

Happy to be corrected!

Sam 76

777030 excessive WSP
777031 wiper fault
777018 CCTV fault
777003 CCTV fault
The old units won’t have a list this long in a week let alone a day !!

karlbbb

I believe a CCTV fault means the train can't be dispatched as it usually relates to the bodyside DOO cameras. I'm sure it was mentioned that some CCTV faults also cause the doors to refuse to open.

Happy to be corrected!
Ah, that's a very fair point if true; I'd completely forgotten about the driver's displays.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The old units won’t have a list this long in a week let alone a day !!
The first faulty train I have ever encountered on Merseyrail was the 777 I mentioned last week. The only dodgy 508 was a Connex one (no surprise there) and that got going after 20 minutes.

ExRes

Established Member
Three more 777s on their way, some photos on RailAdventure GmbH Aktuelle Sichtung facebook from 10th November, no info on numbers as yet

RailAdventure GmbH Aktuelle Sichtung facebook has a link to youtube of the latest delivery passing through southern Germany last Friday, my dodgy eyes can pick out 022 & 034 but not the third unit, still no delivery schedules that I can see on RTT

* Updated

RTT now showing 0809 6Q14 Dollands Moor Sidings to Db Cargo Fan while se gen shows 66084 hauling 777022/032/034, oddly there don't appear to be any schedules whatsoever for Walton Old Juction MSC Sidings for the rest of this week or any RailAdventure schedules out of Tyseley Steam Trust, surely they don't intend to hold the 777s in Wembley Yard?

Last edited:

karlbbb

Does anyone know what happened this morning with 2O04? (Afraid I didn't get the unit number). Somehow went pop between Sandhills and Kirkdale and got stuck, causing quite the kerfuffle, including having to de-train 2O05 at Sandhills and 5O05 consequently being sent halfway down the Southport line to get out of the way, and a service from Headbolt Lane also getting emptied at Sandhills followed by a little wrong line running to get it back to Kirkdale as a HBL service.

Does anyone know what happened this morning with 2O04? (Afraid I didn't get the unit number). Somehow went pop between Sandhills and Kirkdale and got stuck, causing quite the kerfuffle, including having to de-train 2O05 at Sandhills and 5O05 consequently being sent halfway down the Southport line to get out of the way, and a service from Headbolt Lane also getting emptied at Sandhills followed by a little wrong line running to get it back to Kirkdale as a HBL service.

It was 777007. [according to the delay report] GSMR was not set up on it and signaller couldn't contact the driver.

777004 has also had a wobble at Chester this morning leading to 2 777s on the platform at the same time.

L401CJF

Established Member
It was 777007. [according to the delay report] GSMR was not set up on it and signaller couldn't contact the driver.

777004 has also had a wobble at Chester this morning leading to 2 777s on the platform at the same time.
777005 also playing up earlier, no power then no interlock.

507015 to replace 777004 on Chesters, unsure if its still out or if 004 is back in circuit.

The_Train

Established Member
It's been reported on the new units thread that 777020, 777023 & 777144 have all entered service but struggling to find any confirmation of this.

Can anyone on here confirm please?

cjbirkett

It's been reported on the new units thread that 777020, 777023 & 777144 have all entered service but struggling to find any confirmation of this.

020 was on Ormskirk trains today I boarded it at some point in the morning

Last edited:

paddyb6

020 entered service on Monday on Chester.

ExRes

Established Member
RailAdventure GmbH Aktuelle Sichtung facebook has a link to youtube of the latest delivery passing through southern Germany last Friday, my dodgy eyes can pick out 022 & 034 but not the third unit, still no delivery schedules that I can see on RTT

* Updated

RTT now showing 0809 6Q14 Dollands Moor Sidings to Db Cargo Fan while se gen shows 66084 hauling 777022/032/034, oddly there don't appear to be any schedules whatsoever for Walton Old Juction MSC Sidings for the rest of this week or any RailAdventure schedules out of Tyseley Steam Trust, surely they don't intend to hold the 777s in Wembley Yard?

RailAdventure schedule now showing for tomorrow (Friday) 0835 0Z76 Tyseley ST to DB Cargo Fan

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Liverpool Mayor seeks compensation for poor 777 performance.

UK: Liverpool City Region Mayor Steve Rotheram is seeking compensation from train manufacturer Stadler following continued poor performance of Merseyrail’s new fleet of Class 777 electric multiple-units.

The announcement on November 8 came after a meeting with the Chief Executive of Stadler the previous day which involved ‘a full and frank exchange of views’. A statement by the Combined Authority noted ’the Mayor made clear, in no uncertain terms, that current performance of the fleet roll-out had been frustratingly poor and demanded immediate improvements for passengers’.Reliability figures have been low on both the Miles Per Technical Incident and the Rail Delivery Group’s new Mp701D measures (Table 1). The launch of the new service to Headbolt Lane in late October has been particularly disappointing, with the battery-electric trains being described as ‘very unreliable’. The Mayor and Combined Authority ’have repeatedly raised concerns about the level of performance with Stadler and also urged Merseyrail as the train operator to do everything possible to minimise disruption’.
The Combined Authority said ‘promised performance improvements have not been delivered to date and the CA will be holding commercial discussions to identify appropriate compensation for passengers for the disruption caused. The Mayor will be making an announcement on what this looks like in the near future. It is our hope – and belief – that these months of disruption will soon be behind us and passengers will enjoy decades of service from a modern, accessible and innovative fleet of trains.’

The situation is becoming more critical as the withdrawal of the Class 508 units dating from 1979-80 continues; the last three sets to be taken out of service are due to be 508104 and 131 during week commencing December 18 and 508120 during week commencing December 31.

A spokesperson for Stadler told Rail Business UK the company ‘fully understands the current frustrations of passengers’. Stadler said ’the cutting edge technology used in these trains has meant that we have to overcome a series of challenges, including new infrastructure and new software. We are deploying considerable resource to overcome these challenges and are determined to quickly make them more reliable.

’The seven battery trains that Stadler is manufacturing for the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority are the first in the world with traction battery technology designed for an underground network. They feature ground-breaking technology and are blazing a trail for sustainable travel in the UK.

’Stadler continues to work collaboratively and constructively with stakeholders to establish these trains.’

• The 508 Sunset farewell railtour around the complete Merseyrail network on October 29 raised more than £12 000 for four local charities.
Link to Rail Business UK article: https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/l...tm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS&adredir=1

L401CJF

Established Member
777004 is still on the platform a Chester this morning, having not been moved out of the way overnight..
I've been told it reported a hot axle box warning yesterday. Apparently has an axle bearing fault and can only move back to depot at 10mph max.

ExRes

Established Member
I see elsewhere that the graffiti scum have already vandalised some part of the new arrivals, you have to wonder who is responsible for the early arrival and subsequent need for temporary storage, is it just bad luck that they couldn't be moved on straight away or sheer incompetence?

The_Train

Established Member
I see elsewhere that the graffiti scum have already vandalised some part of the new arrivals, you have to wonder who is responsible for the early arrival and subsequent need for temporary storage, is it just bad luck that they couldn't be moved on straight away or sheer incompetence?
Are these the ones that have just arrived into the UK?
If so, they are a prime target for these scumbags as they know they will travel the length of the country before it is washed off and that there will be lots of photos taken of it <(

Ribbleman

Are these the ones that have just arrived into the UK?
If so, they are a prime target for these scumbags as they know they will travel the length of the country before it is washed off and that there will be lots of photos taken of it <(
The problem is so predictable that you would have thought that security could be arranged when temporary stabling is required. The cost to Stadler of employing a couple of bods overnight is surely less than the expense of cleaning the paint off.

Established Member
Liverpool Mayor seeks compensation for poor 777 performance.

Link to Rail Business UK article: https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/l...tm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS&adredir=1

I'd love to know what Rotheram expects Merseyrail to do, really. They're running out of serviceable units through no fault of their own, because the replacement 777s still haven't bedded in yet and the 507/8 fleet is continuing to dwindle as units run out of miles or leases expire. He should be telling Stadler to pay to overhaul some more 507s to ensure a reliable service is provided until the 777s have gained consistent, proven reliability.

As for the 777s themselves, I'm underwhelmed. The seats are absolutely dreadful, the tannoy is barely audible even on quieter services and the PIS screens are poorly located and difficult to read, even though I wear glasses. I don't think they ride any better than the 507/8s, but I think the lighting is decent and they've got good acceleration. Not having all of the doors open at stations is a good idea, especially in the colder months, but only if the air conditioning can stay reliable. I couldn't use the 777s regularly, but as I drive and I'm moving to Chester soon, I'll be using Merseyrail even less than I do already.

ExRes

Established Member
Weirder and weirder as the saying goes, according to RTT 0Z76 arrives from Tyseley at 1225 Friday and 0Z77 leaves for Tyseley at 1010 Saturday, no mention of any arrivals at Walton Old Jct at all

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I'd love to know what Rotheram expects Merseyrail to do, really. They're running out of serviceable units through no fault of their own, because the replacement 777s still haven't bedded in yet and the 507/8 fleet is continuing to dwindle as units run out of miles or leases expire. He should be telling Stadler to pay to overhaul some more 507s to ensure a reliable service is provided until the 777s have gained consistent, proven reliability.

As for the 777s themselves, I'm underwhelmed. The seats are absolutely dreadful, the tannoy is barely audible even on quieter services and the PIS screens are poorly located and difficult to read, even though I wear glasses. I don't think they ride any better than the 507/8s, but I think the lighting is decent and they've got good acceleration. Not having all of the doors open at stations is a good idea, especially in the colder months, but only if the air conditioning can stay reliable. I couldn't use the 777s regularly, but as I drive and I'm moving to Chester soon, I'll be using Merseyrail even less than I do already.
It's a shame as Stadler builds some really high quality trains, but the 777s have been a nightmare with Stadler and Merseyrail, the best option for Merseyrail is to keep all currently operational 507s/508s.

Vespa

Established Member
It's a shame as Stadler builds some really high quality trains, but the 777s have been a nightmare with Stadler and Merseyrail, the best option for Merseyrail is to keep all currently operational 507s/508s.
Not much of an option as they're getting older all the time and they do have their issues with lack of spare parts.

This is what we've got and we'll have to work with it, every problem has a solution.

The introduction of the 777 could have gone better, covid and RMT strikes didn't help, it's what it is we can't look back however nice it would be and look forward.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Not much of an option as they're getting older all the time and they do have their issues with lack of spare parts.

This is what we've got and we'll have to work with it, every problem has a solution.

The introduction of the 777 could have gone better, covid and RMT strikes didn't help, it's what it is we can't look back however nice it would be and look forward.
Shows that battery technology just isn't ready for this, same with the 230s, hopefully the LNER CAF units don't have this issue.

Vespa

Established Member
Shows that battery technology just isn't ready for this, same with the 230s, hopefully the LNER CAF units don't have this issue.
Battery technology is so new it's certainly a large sharp learning curve.

Personally I would have installed a pantograph and 750v OLE all the way to Wigan.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Battery technology is so new it's certainly a large sharp learning curve.

Personally I would have installed a pantograph and 750v OLE all the way to Wigan.
I too would, although you would have to make the 777s compatible to OLE and third rail, but that's relatively easy.