• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joel_1902

Can anyone confirm if yesterday’s 5Q79 Honeybourne Sdgs-Walton and 6Q80 Walton-Kirkdale actually ran please? Seeing conflicting reports.
Cheers

The_Train

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if yesterday’s 5Q79 Honeybourne Sdgs-Walton and 6Q80 Walton-Kirkdale actually ran please? Seeing conflicting reports.
Cheers
5Q79 definitely ran with 2 units (039/041) from the info I received. I didn't hear if the Kirkdale run happened though

ExRes

Established Member
Cheers

According to RTT 6Q80 did run with the power cars working 0501 5Z81 back to Walton, they are then due to work todays 1643 0Z43 to Wembley Receptions 1-7 and then tomorrows 1149 6Q44 to Walton

Established Member
There was a very reliable pair of Merseyrail 777 sets last night, seemed to be working well with no problems.

*At Birmingham New Street, platform 6, 5pm last night, towed by two HSTs :smile:

childwallblues

Established Member
The 777s entered service over a year ago, and yet they’re still only managing 565 Miles per 701D. To put that into perspective, they are the least reliable passenger trains in the country, even less so than 230s and 769s. The 231s which entered service a few days prior to the 777s have managed 2037Mp701D in the latest period, which is still diabolical. Even the 730s which entered service 10 months later have managed 3712Mp701D in the first period.

777 reliability is a shambles. It’s all well and good having new trains, but I’d imagine most passengers would rather have a reliable service than anything else on the railway. I don’t think anybody on this forum is anti-Merseyrail, they’re likely just frustrated that reliability is diabolical for a unit of this age.

They aren’t fit for purpose unless they’re reliable.
You talk about reliability being a shambles. Being local I use Merseyrail a lot and this year I have found Merseyrail to be a lot more reliable as the 777s get bedded in. I have spent a bit of time at Sandhills and have not seen any cancellations. Yes I know that there are cancellationd/failures because they are reported IN GREAT DETAIL on here. Besides Merseyrail Liverpool has many TOCs operating in our area including Avanti, TPE, EMR, TfW, LNWR and Northern. We hear little of the performance of these TOCs on Merseyside but I can tell you there are a lot of cancellations. When the 777s will be performing satisfactorily which in my opinion will not be too long perhaps the serial moaners will turn their attention to TfWs rattlebox 197s which have daily multiple failures or the soon to be introduced LNWR 730s into Lime Street.

prod_pep

Established Member
You talk about reliability being a shambles. Being local I use Merseyrail a lot and this year I have found Merseyrail to be a lot more reliable as the 777s get bedded in. I have spent a bit of time at Sandhills and have not seen any cancellations. Yes I know that there are cancellationd/failures because they are reported IN GREAT DETAIL on here. Besides Merseyrail Liverpool has many TOCs operating in our area including Avanti, TPE, EMR, TfW, LNWR and Northern. We hear little of the performance of these TOCs on Merseyside but I can tell you there are a lot of cancellations. When the 777s will be performing satisfactorily which in my opinion will not be too long perhaps the serial moaners will turn their attention to TfWs rattlebox 197s which have daily multiple failures or the soon to be introduced LNWR 730s into Lime Street.
The figures in the very post you have quoted clearly show the 777s are by far the least reliable trains in the country. If that doesn't make their ongoing disastrous roll-out a shambles, I don't know what does. Also, we do hear plenty about other TOCs' failures if you'd care to read some of the other threads on here. Merseyrail have been awful since the 777s were introduced, simple as that.

I've been on a few 197s now and, whilst I'm not blown over backwards by them, they are much better trains than the 777s in my view. They're a lot more comfortable for a start.

baldyman26

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Merseyrail do not maintain or build these trains. This is all on Stadler yet Merseyrail get lambasted from every angle by the press and passengers alike. Reliability issues should sit firmly with Stadler and they should be held responsible but its not them issuing apologies or press releases is it. I will say though from a personal perspective over the last few weeks my trains have turned up more than they have been cancelled.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Merseyrail do not maintain or build these trains. This is all on Stadler yet Merseyrail get lambasted from every angle by the press and passengers alike. Reliability issues should sit firmly with Stadler and they should be held responsible but its not them issuing apologies or press releases is it. I will say though from a personal perspective over the last few weeks my trains have turned up more than they have been cancelled.

The customer's contract is with Merseyrail. Merseyrail's subcontractors are their problem, not the customer's.

baldyman26

By the customer do you mean Merseytravel, they chose Stadler not Merseyrail. Merseyrail is the operator. So are you saying the problem is Merseytravel then?

Established Member
The customer's contract is with Merseyrail. Merseyrail's subcontractors are their problem, not the customer's.

The contract for the construction and maintenance of the 777s was given to Stadler by Merseytravel, not Merseyrail. It's Merseytravel and Stadler who should be apologising and working to implement a solution, and fast.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I will say though from a personal perspective over the last few weeks my trains have turned up more than they have been cancelled.
Was there a time when the opposite was true? I've never known any route to be that bad ever. For the record, my zero class 507 failures still stands. Though I got close the other week. 507002 conked out about an hour after I got off it.

Established Member
There was a very reliable pair of Merseyrail 777 sets last night, seemed to be working well with no problems.

*At Birmingham New Street, platform 6, 5pm last night, towed by two HSTs :smile:

Spoke too soon. Observed that Birmingham New Street suffered it's first points failure in a few days last night, just 7 minutes after seeing that train, with the adjacent two platforms being inaccessible.

Just absolute coincidence those Merseyjinxrail sets were there. Quite why they were pathed through and taking up a New Street platform smack bang in the afternoon peak hour is one our wonderful planners could try explain, but I'd only laugh at their answer... just inexcusable.

8A Rail

Established Member
In the light of three Class 777's arriving at WOJn MSC Sidings yesterday (#), below is current locations / area they are in.

This just leaves three Class 777's to arrive in the UK from Europe, these being 777033, 035 and 047.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 028 inclusive, 030, 031, 032, 034, 036, 039, 041 049, 140, 142, 144, 146, 148, 150 and 152.
WOJn MSC Sidings = 038, 051 and 053.(#)
Long Marston = 029, 037, 043 and 045.

karlbbb

Do we know when units will start being allocated/stored at Birkenhead? It looks a bit busy in the morning with a few units having to traipse from Kirkdale, reverse at Central, and head off down the exchange line.

A60stock

Sorry if this has been covered already but are the 777s now running in doubles i.e "8 car"?

If not, how are they managing peak loadings given that there are now very few legacy trains (507s) about?

karlbbb

Sorry if this has been covered already but are the 777s now running in doubles i.e "8 car"?

If not, how are they managing peak loadings given that there are now very few legacy trains (507s) about?
Currently in testing.

Very cosy trains, basically. Some 507 services on Southport/Hunts Cross line managing to run as 6-car.

karlbbb

Once double units are approved which services are likely to benefit?
Only the Southport/Hunts Cross and Ormskirk lines ran trains doubled-up that I know of, and these were mostly only peak times. Certainly the trains I usually use to commute on the Ormskirk line used to be 6 cars, and it'll be great to see a return to 8-cars, especially on my way home.

prod_pep

Established Member
Only the Southport/Hunts Cross and Ormskirk lines ran trains doubled-up that I know of, and these were mostly only peak times. Certainly the trains I usually use to commute on the Ormskirk line used to be 6 cars, and it'll be great to see a return to 8-cars, especially on my way home.
There used to be two morning six-cars on the Chester line and the West Kirby line had one pair each peak, but I doubt any of the Wirral ones will return. They were never as well used as the Southport and Ormskirk sixes.