• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
Quite a rare sight today on the Wirral line, all diagrams operated by 6 cars.
Could this be the last time this happens for the 507/508 fleet - possibly next Saturday, although with the 20min frequency across the network not all diagrams maybe 6 cars.
6 car trains were needed in anticipation of the crowds for the Eurovision opening concert on St Georges Plateau in Liverpool last night.

There was a bridge bash today at about 1330 in the Bootle area which meant suspension if the Southport to Hunts Cross service. Replacement bus service was being set up when I left Liverpool Central at 1410 to catch a local bus home.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Can anybody confirm that 508124 still exists (my records suggest it does) and that it is still in use at the moment please?

L401CJF

Established Member
Can anybody confirm that 508124 still exists (my records suggest it does) and that it is still in use at the moment please?
It certainly does, not sure what it's on today but I saw it on an ECS from Birkenhead North to West Kirby around lunch time on 08/05 with 508117.

The_Train

Established Member
It certainly does, not sure what it's on today but I saw it on an ECS from Birkenhead North to West Kirby around lunch time on 08/05 with 508117.

124 is still in service as far as I'm aware, not sure where it is right now though
Thanks both, I won't be up there until tomorrow so will just have to hope it appears somewhere then so I can at least complete the set of what remains of the fleet :)

L401CJF

Established Member
Fair few 6cars knocking around tonight. Apparently all New Brightons are 6car as are the majority of West Kirbys. Unsure on other lines.

amwells

I’m travelling to Chester and then into Liverpool on Saturday and still have 14 507/508s for sight (yes I’m not local!!) - where would be best to plonk myself to see as many as possible? Many thanks in advance

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I’m travelling to Chester and then into Liverpool on Saturday and still have 14 507/508s for sight (yes I’m not local!!) - where would be best to plonk myself to see as many as possible? Many thanks in advance
to be able to see both Northern and Wirral units you'd want either Moorfields or Liverpool Central, same amount of units overall since all journeys go through those two.
Can't narrow down either as better than the other, but someone else probably can

Bevan Price

Established Member
to be able to see both Northern and Wirral units you'd want either Moorfields or Liverpool Central, same amount of units overall since all journeys go through those two.
Can't narrow down either as better than the other, but someone else probably can
If you have time, you would be better to get a local rover or Merseytravel Saveaway ticket, as units can be parked at Southport, New Brighton and/or West Kirby, and outside the depots at Kirkdale, and Birkenhead North (not visible from the station or nearby roads). Binoculars or camera with zoom lens recommended for identifying units in Kirkdale sidings, from Kirkdale station platform). Inevitably, a few units may be hidden inside depot buildings.
No units can be parked at Kirkby, Ormskirk, Chester or Ellesmere Port.

At Moorfields or Liverpool Central (Wirral line platforms) you will need about 90 minutes to see all working trains.
For Northern line trains, you will also see everything actually working in about 2 hours, but Sandhills (in the open air), it is much more pleasant to wait for a long time.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
At Moorfields or Liverpool Central (Wirral line platforms) you will need about 90 minutes to see all working trains.
For Northern line trains, you will also see everything actually working in about 2 hours,
Would it even be possible to see all diagrams that pass through a station like those with high/low level parts that can take a bit to get between, or would some end up missed out?
I wouldn't want to miss a unit going all the way out to Chester or Southport and wait ages for it to come back.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Would it even be possible to see all diagrams that pass through a station like those with high/low level parts that can take a bit to get between, or would some end up missed out?
I wouldn't want to miss a unit going all the way out to Chester or Southport and wait ages for it to come back.
Don't risk it. It is a VERY long way between High Level and Low Level platforms, especially at Moorfields.

amwells

Thank you Bevan Price and pokemonsuper9, invaluable advice, I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed for Saturday - and the river sounds like a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon!

jamesst

Bear in mind all day Saturday Wirral Line services are only stopping at Liverpool Central and Northern line services are only stopping at Moorfields due to the Eurovision event.
Therefore if you wanted to see what units we're running were your best options will likely be Sandhills for the Northern line and Hamilton Square for the Wirral.

The_Train

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that 124 is running today? Don't need to know the diagram as I like the chase but I'd at least like to know it exists today please :D

Wezz

Bear in mind all day Saturday Wirral Line services are only stopping at Liverpool Central and Northern line services are only stopping at Moorfields due to the Eurovision event.
Therefore if you wanted to see what units we're running were your best options will likely be Sandhills for the Northern line and Hamilton Square for the Wirral.
I can confirm that the smoke doors to the Wirral Line at Moorfields will be closed on Saturday, nobody except railway staff and contractors will be allowed access to the Wirral Line platform.

Ham Sq and Liverpool Central will be the only places on the underground where you will be able to see what units will be on the Wirral services.

The_Train

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that 124 is running today? Don't need to know the diagram as I like the chase but I'd at least like to know it exists today please :D
So it's been located working a Class 5 from West Kirby to Kirkdale Depot. Any gen on whether its coming out as a Eurovision capacity booster later?

jamesst

I can confirm that the smoke doors to the Wirral Line at Moorfields will be closed on Saturday, nobody except railway staff and contractors will be allowed access to the Wirral Line platform.

Ham Sq and Liverpool Central will be the only places on the underground where you will be able to see what units will be on the Wirral services.
Pretty sure I just said that!!

I spotted 508125 at leasowe stn heading to west kirby at 12:57 today while I was driving to new brighton

amwells

Thank you for all the advice. Looks like it will be time at Hamilton Square then Sandhills with some trips in between!

samrammstein

It was mentioned in the 777 thread that 008 and 027 will be the next units to leave the network. 507008 was working 2C29 1315 CTR-LVC earlier today so should be on 5R47 CTR-RFY tonight, possibly going to Kirkdale as 5D45 thereafter.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
It was mentioned in the 777 thread that 008 and 027 will be the next units to leave the network. 507008 was working 2C29 1315 CTR-LVC earlier today so should be on 5R47 CTR-RFY tonight, possibly going to Kirkdale as 5D45 thereafter.
I was considering asking when these were going to be withdrawn, thanks for bringing it up! Does anyone know, as I heard the 28th for them leaving quoted previously...?

prod_pep

Established Member
I was considering asking when these were going to be withdrawn, thanks for bringing it up! Does anyone know, as I heard the 28th for them leaving quoted previously...?
The 28th May is the proposed date of the scrap move IIRC. Usually the units are withdrawn the Monday or Tuesday prior, so 22nd-23rd May seems likely. Mind you, with the ongoing 777 problems and the temporary return of 507/8s to Kirkby, there might be a chance their withdrawal will be delayed slightly.

I've had a number of rides on 507008 recently and it still sounds superbly loud in coach 64412 and is a fine rider. The other one, 507027, is a reasonable ride but it's no 008.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
The 28th May is the proposed date of the scrap move IIRC. Usually the units are withdrawn the Monday or Tuesday prior, so 22nd-23rd May seems likely. Mind you, with the ongoing 777 problems and the temporary return of 507/8s to Kirkby, there might be a chance their withdrawal will be delayed slightly.

I've had a number of rides on 507008 recently and it still sounds superbly loud in coach 64412 and is a fine rider. The other one, 507027, is a reasonable ride but it's no 008.
Thank you :). If they run out of miles of course then I doubt they can be delayed in withdrawal.

samrammstein

Something I recently noticed after 15 years of travel on Merseyrail is these BR York plates on the 508s, which are positioned low down on the carriage sides. Looking back through old photos I don't believe 507s have them. Hopefully some may be saved but I suppose the screws may be seized by now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_070826067~3.jpg
    IMG_20230520_070826067~3.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230520_070906404~2.jpg
    IMG_20230520_070906404~2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 63