• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Wezz

We weren't sure if the unit would suit it due to the facelift Electrostar light clusters, but she suits it well.

Expected to be back in traffic within the next few weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skie

We weren't sure if the unit would suit it due to the facelift Electrostar light clusters, but she suits it well.

Expected to be back in traffic within the next few weeks.
Are they adding 3+2 seating back in or something? :)

Merseyrail have released a promo video on their Instagram today. Doesn't actually show off the blue livery, but shows them peeling the old vinyl off.

prod_pep

Established Member
All this secrecy over a simple re-vinyl job. :lol:

Edit: caught another quick glimpse of 507001 inside Birkenhead North depot this evening. It was near the front of its lane in the main shed.

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

Pacef8

How long until they realise it is a public relations disaster . The headbolt rail users will not be impressed.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How long until they realise it is a public relations disaster . The headbolt rail users will not be impressed.
Well, it is a case of advertising new trains only for a train to come along which, to many customers who won’t initially realise it’s the same type that they’re used to, looks even older than the outgoing stock!

Besides, it’s already been done with the 313s, which are basically the same train.

Gaz67

Well they will probably think here's one of those trains that have served us for over 40 years , isn't it great that they have painted one in its original colours, bet the new trains won't be running round in 40 years. Or something like that. This goes on the world over with trains and planes (BA 747s). I for one love it, thanks merseyrail, can't wait to go out hunting it with my camera.

karlbbb

Hoping it’ll be on some Southport-Hunt’s Cross services before it bows out. Would like to see this one in the flesh!

Ribbleman

Well, it is a case of advertising new trains only for a train to come along which, to many customers who won’t initially realise it’s the same type that they’re used to, looks even older than the outgoing stock!

Besides, it’s already been done with the 313s, which are basically the same train.
Most local travellers will recall the 507s and 508s in blue and grey. They were the last fleets in the country to carry those colours. It’s a nice gesture to see the end of this stock commemorated, for Merseyrail staff as well as it’s passengers. The fact that a 313 was similarly reliveried will mean nothing to them.

Liverpool 507

If you have any gen tomorrow morning 2/12 (assuming it's allocated for service), could you post the initial working if known for 001. Thank you.
No worries. It looks like, all going according to plan, that the unit will stable at West Kirby tonight and then form 2W00 in the morning.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Nice to see that - pleasing that they have commemorated these units, as I think happened with the previous generation of EMUs on Merseyside. Nicely done in my view.

The_Train

Established Member

I presume they'd be happy to realise that it is one of the older trains as it's more likely to get them to their destination :lol:

In all seriousness, this is a crazy take. If you think customers who use a network that is segregated from all other networks so doesn't have any other train types (apart from the odd freight and RHTT) working on it will be confused as to what sort of train they are getting on because it's had a lick of paint, you're doing a serious disservice to scousers. Just feels like you've plucked any insane reasoning out of the air to allow you to have a pop at something that lots of people will get enjoyment from.

birchesgreen

Established Member

Is this a wind-up? Has this ever caused a problem anywhere before.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I presume they'd be happy to realise that it is one of the older trains as it's more likely to get them to their destination :lol:

In all seriousness, this is a crazy take. If you think customers who use a network that is segregated from all other networks so doesn't have any other train types (apart from the odd freight and RHTT) working on it will be confused as to what sort of train they are getting on because it's had a lick of paint, you're doing a serious disservice to scousers. Just feels like you've plucked any insane reasoning out of the air to allow you to have a pop at something that lots of people will get enjoyment from.
Joe public will get on anything if they think it's heading in the right direction. An example I've mentioned before is the EPB farewell tour. When it was at Redhill, countless people asked if it was the Victoria train, despite EPB units not having worked a passenger train through Redhill for about three years and both of them being in retro liveries. Numerous passengers did in fact travel on it from London Bridge to Charing Cross. It stopped at platform 6 so they got on.

Established Member

Spot on, couldn't have put it any better myself. The 507s have given faithful and dependable service to the region for over 45 years, so I think they've more than earned a gesture to recognise this as their time draws to a close. A lot of people seem to underestimate just how fondly thought of the 507s and 508s are around here, by enthusiasts and the general public.

The_Train

Established Member
Joe public will get on anything if they think it's heading in the right direction. An example I've mentioned before is the EPB farewell tour. When it was at Redhill, countless people asked if it was the Victoria train, despite EPB units not having worked a passenger train through Redhill for about three years and both of them being in retro liveries. Numerous passengers did in fact travel on it from London Bridge to Charing Cross. It stopped at platform 6 so they got on.
Whilst I agree on this for the main network (I've witnessed many a regular pax boarding charter trains on stock they've probably never seen before, let alone travelled on), we are talking a segregated network with Merseyrail where some people have seen the same type of train in the region all of their lives. I doubt a new livery is going to make people think this unit is part of the new fleet as has been suggested on here

childwallblues

Established Member
Spot on, couldn't have put it any better myself. The 507s have given faithful and dependable service to the region for over 45 years, so I think they've more than earned a gesture to recognise this as their time draws to a close. A lot of people seem to underestimate just how fondly thought of the 507s and 508s are around here, by enthusiasts and the general public.
And I totally agree with you As one who has ridden every 507 and 508 that ever existed and many of them many times over I have been chasing 508s to ride for the last time. When I boarded 508103 at Moorfields on Tuesday I thought that might be it but no 508108 turned up at Sandhills to take me to Hunts Cross. I shall be out again next Tuesday and hopefully come across the odd one or two.

prod_pep

Established Member
507001 definitely looks better in the flesh than in the photos. Rail blue is a striking colour and it looks a country mile better than the other units. A super effort, but still a slight shame it isn't 'bob on' like the 313.

They also seem to have fixed 001's rheostatic braking which wasn't functional for a couple of weeks prior to the re-livery. It sounded fine when powering down.

Penmorfa

An uptick for that