• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail mandates that Trainline tickets must be printed out

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
Merseyrail's dumb tweet said:
Tickets bought via Trainline or other third-party retailers

What if I buy my E-Ticket from a TOC, is that okay then? :D

What happens if the Ticket office at your departure station is closed? What about if you don't have printer at home? This feels ridiculous.
Yeah, it is. I'm not convinced anything will change anytime soon though. They need to be dragged kicking and screaming into $currentYear.

Nym

Established Member
Maybe if we just had a national ticketing system rather than the fragmented mess that we’re heading into / have now…?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is this something they can legally do?

Yes, because e-tickets aren't* sold for their services, and so they are just ToDs, and ToDs must be collected before travel.

* There are an odd few tickets that are valid on their services and may be e-ticketed, eg onward use of a Liverpool Stations ticket or a small
number of tickets for routes in common with Northern/TfW/WMT eg South Parkway to Liverpool Stations - if they are they must accept them, and I've heard nothing to suggest they don't.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
What if I buy my E-Ticket from a TOC, is that okay then? :D

Yeah, it is. I'm not convinced anything will change anytime soon though. They need to be dragged kicking and screaming into $currentYear.
eTickets shouldn't be enabled for Merseyrail destinations, I'm convinced Merseyrail will be the last bastion of CCST

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Merseyrail have now been “community noted.”

Comments added and voted upon by Twitter members in the Community Notes panel: -
Under the terms of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, a ticket issued in a digital format is still valid, and Merseyrail as a signatory to the Conditions are not permitted to reject a valid digital ticket.

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    923.8 KB · Views: 211

Gaelan

The community note is of course itself misleading, as it fails to distinguish between TOD references and eTickets, both of which a layperson could reasonably regard as a day ticket.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, because e-tickets aren't* sold for their services, and so they are just ToDs, and ToDs must be collected before travel.
Did I imagine getting Day Saver as an e-ticket that I just showed to staff as I travelled on my phone? Honestly what an utter farce of an operation Merseyrail are in this regard. "Don't accept digital tickets" and yet retail "digital tickets" themselves via their own sales channel!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Did I imagine getting Day Saver as an e-ticket that I just showed to staff as I travelled on my phone? Honestly what an utter farce of an operation Merseyrail are in this regard. "Don't accept digital tickets" and yet retail "digital tickets" themselves via their own sales channel!

Yes, they sell that nonsense ticket (5p cheaper than a proper Saveaway) in their own e-ticket format online.

northwichcat

Established Member

* There are an odd few tickets that are valid on their services and may be e-ticketed, eg onward use of a Liverpool Stations ticket or a small
number of tickets for routes in common with Northern/TfW/WMT eg South Parkway to Liverpool Stations
- if they are they must accept them, and I've heard nothing to suggest they don't.

Given how many passengers from Wales use the Chester-Liverpool service, I think there's a lot of passengers who have tickets that are valid either on Merseyrail or on an alternative operator.

eTickets shouldn't be enabled for Merseyrail destinations

How do you define Merseyrail destinations?

If I select Liverpool Central to Chester should I not be offered an e-ticket but if I select Liverpool Lime Street to Chester should I be offered an e-ticket for any operator that's not valid on Merseyrail?

Strangely just before seeing this thread I received a survey email from Northern which had a leading question asking why I had used a TVM in the last 6 months and not used the app to get an e-ticket instead!

Red Rover

Yes, they sell that nonsense ticket (5p cheaper than a proper Saveaway) in their own e-ticket format online.
Yet the merseyrail only ticket sells far far more than the saveaway, I’d guess at least by 2/1.
Also with the fare increases there’s a bit more of a difference.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
50p on the kids and 16-18 one. Loads of people buy day savers, they’re really popular for off peak regulars, why spend more if you’re not using it.

I'd pay that for insurance against yet another 777 sitting down so I could take the bus...

When we talk about "fares simplification", this is the sort of thing that needs to be simplified away. Not off-peak tickets.

Absolutely. Urban systems should not have mode specific fares or tickets.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Given how many passengers from Wales use the Chester-Liverpool service, I think there's a lot of passengers who have tickets that are valid either on Merseyrail or on an alternative operator.

How do you define Merseyrail destinations?

If I select Liverpool Central to Chester should I not be offered an e-ticket but if I select Liverpool Lime Street to Chester should I be offered an e-ticket for any operator that's not valid on Merseyrail?

Strangely just before seeing this thread I received a survey email from Northern which had a leading question asking why I had used a TVM in the last 6 months and not used the app to get an e-ticket instead!
I define it as a station on the NRE site that has Merseyrail as the operator

Red Rover

I'd pay that for insurance against yet another 777 sitting down so I could take the bus...

Absolutely. Urban systems should not have mode specific fares or tickets.
It’s a good shout but the busiest merseyrail stations by far are the ones (underground excepted) on the periphery which have sketchy and lengthy times, Kirkby, Crosby, Hunts Cross, Ormskirk, Maghull and Waterloo.

nwales58

I'm getting on a bit and easily confused, so help me out please.

As others have pointed out, e-tickets seem to be enabled for Bangor or Llandudno Junction to Liverpool. So I buy one from any online retailer.

When I get on a yellow train at Chester, am I then warned that I need to print my ticket? If so, I go to Chester's ticket office and what do they do? Tell me to go to the ticket retailer? What do they do? Fortunately there is a grey and red train I could use instead.

Or is there no warning so when I meet a Merseyrail barrier I'm told my ticket is not valid. What happens then? Penalty Fare? What if I refuse to pay because my ticket is valid? What if I pay then complain?

And what about my even more easily confused mother in law who can't understand why the ticket which worked last month is now not valid and never travels by train again (actually happened over a Cross Country fiasco).

Ianigsy

50p on the kids and 16-18 one. Loads of people buy day savers, they’re really popular for off peak regulars, why spend more if you’re not using it.
Day Savers are less than the price of a point to point return from my parents’ local station in Birkenhead to West Kirby, but more than a return to New Brighton.

When Northern had their last flash sale, I used one in conjunction with a Leeds-Chester £1 single to go over to Birkenhead for about £8 at most.

I would have more patience with Merseyrail if they made more than a token effort to staff the ticket offices which are supposed to be part of the reason why they didn’t want to accept e-tickets in the first place.

DanNCL

Established Member
They’ve now been community noted on Twitter/X.
Readers added context they thought people might want to know:
Under the terms of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, a ticket issued in a digital format is still valid, and Merseyrail as a signatory to the Conditions are not permitted to reject a valid digital ticket. https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/travel-information/your-rights-and-obligations-as-a-passenger/

Merseyrail are the second TOC in as many months to be community noted as LNER were community noted when they tried claiming that axing off peak fares was an improvement.

Edit: community note currently hidden.

Last edited:

pedr

I'm getting on a bit and easily confused, so help me out please.

As others have pointed out, e-tickets seem to be enabled for Bangor or Llandudno Junction to Liverpool. So I buy one from any online retailer.

When I get on a yellow train at Chester, am I then warned that I need to print my ticket? If so, I go to Chester's ticket office and what do they do? Tell me to go to the ticket retailer? What do they do? Fortunately there is a grey and red train I could use instead.

Or is there no warning so when I meet a Merseyrail barrier I'm told my ticket is not valid. What happens then? Penalty Fare? What if I refuse to pay because my ticket is valid? What if I pay then complain?

And what about my even more easily confused mother in law who can't understand why the ticket which worked last month is now not valid and never travels by train again (actually happened over a Cross Country fiasco).
Merseyrail don’t actually mean that they don’t accept e-tickets, necessarily.

They mean that almost all tickets purchased online for use on their services won’t be e-tickets, because they’ve arranged it so that those tickets can’t be issued as e-tickets. Those tickets are paper tickets bought from an online retailer and must be collected (from a Merseyrail ticket office, or from a ticket machine at a non-Merseyrail station). The problem is that people expect the email and details they’re sent when they buy those tickets to count as the actual ticket and travel without collecting the paper tickets. Merseyrail’s position - which is correct given the ticketing rules - is that the confirmation email, collection code, etc is not a ticket and someone travelling having not collects the ticket is travelling without a ticket even if they’ve paid for one, and can be issued a Penalty Fare or prosecuted.

Ticket retailers do point this out as part of the purchase process and in the email, but e-tickets are so widespread and commonplace now, and showing confirmation emails etc is a significant part of modern life, so a significant number of passengers don’t stop to consider that there may be an old/out of date process for obtaining Merseyrail tickets. (I think it might be better if these tickets couldn’t be sold for collection either, and had to be purchased on the day from a machine or ticket office, to be honest).

Red Rover

Day Savers are less than the price of a point to point return from my parents’ local station in Birkenhead to West Kirby, but more than a return to New Brighton.

When Northern had their last flash sale, I used one in conjunction with a Leeds-Chester £1 single to go over to Birkenhead for about £8 at most.

I would have more patience with Merseyrail if they made more than a token effort to staff the ticket offices which are supposed to be part of the reason why they didn’t want to accept e-tickets in the first place.
Staffed to the bare minimum.

TUC

Established Member
Merseyrail don’t actually mean that they don’t accept e-tickets, necessarily.

They mean that almost all tickets purchased online for use on their services won’t be e-tickets, because they’ve arranged it so that those tickets can’t be issued as e-tickets. Those tickets are paper tickets bought from an online retailer and must be collected (from a Merseyrail ticket office, or from a ticket machine at a non-Merseyrail station). The problem is that people expect the email and details they’re sent when they buy those tickets to count as the actual ticket and travel without collecting the paper tickets. Merseyrail’s position - which is correct given the ticketing rules - is that the confirmation email, collection code, etc is not a ticket and someone travelling having not collects the ticket is travelling without a ticket even if they’ve paid for one, and can be issued a Penalty Fare or prosecuted.
If that is correct, why are they so terrible at basic communication?

That aside, it's the case generally that an email and collection code do not constitute a ticket, so it's hard to see anything different for Merseyrail there.

Skie

They manage to conflate 2 ticket types (Normal CCST delivered via ToD and E-Tickets) in one stupid message that also contradicts their own selling of a digital ticket. And then the Community Note refers to E-Tickets but might make it look like unprinted ToD tickets should also be accepted. And then NREnquiries wades in and further confuses things by word salading the entire issue.

WF4HA5HE

nwales58

They manage to conflate 2 ticket types (Normal CCST delivered via ToD and E-Tickets) in one stupid message that also contradicts their own selling of a digital ticket. And then the Community Note refers to E-Tickets but might make it look like unprinted ToD tickets should also be accepted. And then NREnquiries wades in and further confuses things by word salading the entire issue.
When will someone get a grip on all this un-thought out misleading use of pseudo-official but unofficial social media communication?

Probably never.

Soon AI trained on this crap will be giving authoritatively wrong answers.

We're doomed.

This is an industry bound together by regulations and contracts yet people just make things up.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Something I hadn't noticed earlier, but has this statement come from Merseyrail, or from Trainline? It appears to use Trainline's mark, brand colours and a font that's quite similar to Lineto's Circular.

Lucy1501

There have certainly been cases in the press and on social media of penalty fares and prosecutions being carried out over "digital tickets" being used on Merseyrail, however it has been hard to determine whether this was people attempting to travel on a booking confirmation rather than an actual e-ticket.

You are correct in stating that it would be a breach of the conditions of carriage and probably general consumer law. Theoretically e-tickets should not be able to be issued to any Merseyrail station since their barriers do not read them, that being said, occasionally there are bugs in the system and one is issued anyways rather than a TOD. I actually happen to have an e-ticket to the Liverpool Stations group for Monday next week so we'll see how it goes!

This seems to also prompt concerns as Merseyrail sell a PDF daysaver on their own website (linked here https://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-passes/daily-travel/day-saver/) which I used last year. The PDF ticket I recieved says:
PDF tickets cannot be scanned by our automatic station gates. Please show your ticket to staff by the wide gate at underground stations who will quickly check it for you.
With no mention of needing to be printed! That being said I had no issue with it on the day and the staff pretty much waved me right through.