• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail's M to Go Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mickey

I suppose the question is are these ticket sellers who also flog confectionary or shop staff who are expected to know about our complicated ticketing arrangements.
As to the staffing, again, I assumed they would be trained as if they were in a 'normal' ticket office. I'm probably wrong about that as well!
They are ticket staff who happen to sell other things too. There's no way they could have got away with doing it the other way round.

I was just imagining the "rant" from someone who was told by someone in the "M" shop that "sorry, we only sell cheap day returns and saver tickets"
Aren't 'Saver' tickets by definition more complicated long-distance tickets (only over 50 miles iirc)?

I tried to get an excess at LVC once. I was told "Go to Lime Street"
If they told me that I wouldn't move until they gave me one.

I know I'm a hypocrite though - I get told that at my local station all the time and I just put up with it. I don't know why but there's something different about central Liverpool stations that makes me think they should be forced to do things properly.

xtradj

been around for a few years now at Moorfields.

must add.. very expensive, and pointless if you ask me

as many are right next to large supermarket chains (cheaper)

me123

Established Member
Out of curiosity, how well used are the shops? Does the stock just sit there for months, or do people actually buy it?

prod_pep

Established Member
I concur with the view that they are overpriced. I've only once bought food from one, and needless to say it was for convenience's sake. It's also irritating to see promotional offers on sandwiches and fizzy drinks advertised at stations, when useful information like timetables could be displayed instead. That said, there are much worse issues on Merseyrail than advertising!

The good thing is the reduction (in part at least) in queues at Central. There are far more open checkouts now at busy times (I think there were only three in the old set up).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
All shops that are actually on stations are more expensive then the equivalents outside. As said, it's all about convenience. Some people can't or won't go to the newsagents opposite, and buy chocolate and magazines in WH Smith at Swansea, for example.

I must admit, if I was on my home after a long day at work, I would be tempted to pay a little more and buy a few things at a convenience store to save myself walking to and through a supermarket!

mickey

been around for a few years now at Moorfields.
Old Hall St., tecnhically - which makes a difference as it's only open half the time. Anyone using the station outside of office hours gets only the normal ticket office at the main entrance with a single member of staff.
Out of curiosity, how well used are the shops? Does the stock just sit there for months, or do people actually buy it?
Most of the stock is stuff with very long shelf lives so it's hard to tell but it seems that most of it is bought. Certainly the magazines are popular (same price as everywhere else though), as are the drinks and chocolate. I've never seen anyone with one of their sandwiches or pasties though.

Status
Not open for further replies.